Patient Comments: High Blood Pressure Treatment - Experience

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your high blood pressure?

Comment from: Granny, 75 or over (Patient) Published: March 04

My blood pressure usually runs around 150 over 80. Doctor is treating with Zestoretic. I think this reading is too high but doctor keeps me on same medication!

Comment from: oka edobor, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I was diagnosed with hypertension about four years ago and have been on a diuretic and Nifedipine (20mg each day). But recently my blood pressure has been rising. Yesterday it was 181mg/100. I took 75 mg of Vasoprin with a diuretic and Nifedipine and it fell to 120/87. I guess I should continue or maybe I should remove the channel blocker.

Comment from: kgood1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I am a 56 year old woman - in good shape, run 3x a week, gym 3x a week, and yoga once a week. High blood pressure runs in my family - and I just started taking medications for it. I am a semi vegetarian - and eat really well. There really shouldn't be any reason for this - except for bad genes! Today I took it after a month on the medications - 170/60 and have a slight headache!

Comment from: seagull007, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

It was confirmed I had high blood pressure more than two years ago. I am now on Perinace, 4 mg tablet, once a day, and Nifedpione 10 mg, 3 times per day. During the past 24 months, my blood pressure has remained on 120/80, and my heart beat has remained at around 60 per minute. My doctor said if I did, the pressure may suddenly shoot up until beyond control. I have my own automatic blood pressure monitor.

Comment from: Javier A., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I have been taking Cozaar for two years. My blood pressure was 160/90. I think the sudden increase was directly related to the stress and sorrow of losing a Grandson. I am 64 years old. I have modified my lifestyle. I have lost 15 pounds, and I exercise at least three days a week. Now, my blood pressure has normalized to 130/80 on average for the last year.

Comment from: deg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I never can go to the doctor with not having higher than normal, last year it was 150-90, and I was having a bad day, last year check was 139-85, and then I went back and almost six months later, going to the emergency room twice. I still don't like the medicine I'm on. I think it is medicine #5 and I think doctors think you should deal with side effects. The emergency room put me on triamterene-htc 37.5-25 this stuff even has a side effect , but it is much easier to live with then rashes and tingling in hands and cold and hot ears ringing, and itching is the worst. My doctor was mad because I quit going to a specialist on this, because I ended up in the emergency room, and the doctor wouldn't call me and after 3 and a half weeks my blood pressure and breathing went nuts and I didn't go back. I just switched doctors because mine didn't want to treat me for this, but she's the one that started this. I really feel like some doctors really don't care they just get you hooked on it.

Comment from: antipharma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am still looking for an effective hypertension drug. I have had a lot of bad side effects. Most have been ineffective and the few that brought my blood pressure down were not effective for more than one year. The worst hypertension drug was Catapres, which caused me to have a convulsion. I think doctors should try to find the cause and stop treating hypertension as a cause.

Comment from: Mac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I am 47 year old female. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure during a routine gyno exam and told to see my regular GP. At first they had me on Diazide (water pill) and it did nothing so they put me on 50 mg of Toprol XL in addition to the Diazide. This worked and has worked for me for about 5 years now. I tried to get off the Diazide because it has some annoying side effects, but when I did. Wow, blood pressure high again and told not to go off of it again. I have never smoked. I am not a big drinker and I exercise. I am not overweight, but all 4 grandparents and both parents were on medication since their 30's for this genetic disorder. My mom and both grandfathers had diabetes. I have to have a glucose test next weekend. Genetics plays a big role in these things I believe. I hate sweets and I don't eat a lot of carbohydrate (I don't want to be fat). I don't know what to do.

High Blood Pressure Treatment - Diet Question: How did you change your diet to lower your blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Smoking Question: Are you a smoker or former smoker undergoing treatment for high blood pressure? After diagnosis, did you quit smoking?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Alcohol Question: Do you have hypertension and also drink alcohol? Have you cut back since receiving a diagnosis?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Coffee and Caffeine Question: In what ways do coffee and other caffeinated beverages affect your blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Medications Question: What medications and other types of treatment do you receive for hypertension?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Alternative Medicine Question: Describe any alternative or complementary medicine you use to treat your high blood pressure.