Patient Comments: High Blood Pressure - Readings

Is your blood pressure reading high, low, or normal?

Comment from: femaleyoung, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I never knew anything about blood pressure until I was told that I needed to switch my birth control pills at only age 21. Ever since then my pressure has been out of control. Whenever I have it checked at the doctor's office or even at the dentist they always look at me strangely and tell me how high it is and give me these strange looks and even ask me why I have high blood pressure so young. This is frustrating. I bought a home blood pressure monitor that I use at home and when I wake up it is normal and throughout the day it goes up a little but nothing like at the doctor's office. For some reason after about 8 pm my blood pressure skyrockets. It's usually the bottom number that is above 100! When I went to the emergency room just to make sure it was accurate I checked it there and the reading was high with my monitor just like with theirs, just off by a few numbers. I have lost almost 50 pounds since my diagnosis and reduced my salt intake to about 1000 mg a day and that is hard to do since everything that used to seem healthy is loaded with sodium and after this my blood pressure went even higher. I am so tired of doctors just throwing pills at me and saying they don't know what is causing this. I had lab tests run and the doctor said my sugars are good and she also said that my cholesterol levels were excellent, something just doesn't make sense. My life would be so much better if I could get this cured and don't have to deal with it anymore. High blood pressure is ruining my life. I have a 1 year old and a baby on the way and I have to plan my life around high blood pressure. I want answers, not pills that are just masking the real problem.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I have high blood pressure and been on lisinopril for 2 months no but before I was put on it I would get headaches and so dizzy to the point of getting sick from being dizzy, and my feet up to my knee would swell. But since I've been on medications I have no dizziness and fewer headaches, but my feet still swell and they hurt daily due to swelling.

Comment from: dave, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I am taking 5 mg amlodipine, 100 mg losartan, 20 mg Bystolic and still blood pressure is only 145/70. Diastolic is always 70 to 75 but systolic goes from 140 to 150.

Comment from: Dmauro43, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I have an insulin pump and I have high blood pressure. At one point in time even with medications my blood pressure was still out of control, 180/100. I changed doctor and he changed my medicines, now my pressure is 115/70. I am on carvedilol and lisinopril HCTZ. Sometimes you may need to change doctors, this may work for some but not for everyone. There is hope out there.

Comment from: wasp, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 02

My blood pressure is 207/105.

Comment from: Doris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

My blood pressure is always high eves with medication.

Comment from: peck, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

My blood pressure stays high 165/108.

Comment from: cathrine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My bottom number was higher than my top number.

Comment from: janb, 75 or over Female Published: July 18

I have recently had brain scan...told I had chronic condition--not enough blood to brain and had suffered irreparable damage to brain as result. This was supposedly caused by high blood pressure..tho I was taking 3 blood pressure meds, it was still running high. After having meds doubled I have blood pressure much more under control; however, I am somewhat concerned because when the systolic number is acceptable, the diastolic number is running extremely low, sometimes as low as 39.

High Blood Pressure - Diet Question: Have you changed your diet to try to bring down your high blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure - Treatment Question: Do you take medication to treat your high blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have from your high blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure - Causes Question: Do you know if genetic factors, high salt intake, or arterial stiffness caused your high blood pressure?