Patient Comments: High Blood Pressure - Symptoms

What symptoms do you have from your high blood pressure?

A Doctor's View on High Blood Pressure Symptoms

Read the Comment by William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR

Did you know that high blood pressure commonly won't cause any symptoms at all. The danger to this is that high blood pressure may be damaging your organs, and you don't realize it. If you have uncomplicated high blood pressure (hypertension) you may have a headache, feel dizzy, have blurred vision, and shortness of breath. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: silentsurvivor, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I haven"t really noticed any symptoms yet for high blood pressure. Sometimes I"ll get a pressure headache when I"m exerting myself or if I"m out in the heat, but other than that nothing. I do have a tendency to get aggravated a lot easier which I don"t know is a symptom but I have heard old wives tales of it being a contributing factor.

Comment from: Jen1809, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I feel pretty terrible all the time with a thumping headache and pulse in my head, I am exhausted all the time. When my father was my age he had a hemorrhage due to high blood pressure and both my brothers are on medications. Last week I had one of my 'turns' and my boss sent me to the doctor where they found my blood pressure to be 181/115. At the docs previously I had a diastolic of 99 yet no-one has ever put me on anything, I'm just left to get on with it, I'm really concerned. I'm in a medical profession and fully aware of what could happen to me!

Comment from: Paula, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have no symptoms of high blood pressure. Actually, I felt worse on medication with BP in a normal range than I did when my BP was 220/120.

Comment from: ron, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

With high blood pressure I have clogged red ears, red face, and head pressure.

Comment from: Patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I went through a period of ill health when I felt over-loaded, particularly in the evening with a pounding pulse, which at times I could feel in my head. My systolic blood pressure would rise up and up to sometimes as high as 190. I was breathless on lying down and sometimes felt a fluid shift in my chest which caused palpitations. At other times I collapsed and was hypotensive. Eventually it was found I had an electrolyte problem due to a kidney condition and reducing my fluid intake has avoided extreme symptoms. I have only recently started on a calcium channel blocker.

Comment from: Oba, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

My symptoms of high blood pressure started with running nose and a slight headache, but after treating the running nose the headache continues.

Comment from: Sachin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

My symptoms were Irritation, fast heartbeat, rise in sugar, cramps, chest pain, dizziness and weakness.

Comment from: bus driver, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 16

Pounding heartbeat. Pulse so hard I could hear it in my ears. It would last anywhere from 5 minutes to off and on all day. Exhausted me. My pulse was fine, just a very hard beat. BP ranged from 117/78 to 179/97. I could feel it when my pressure went up. I didn't feel depressed or any anxiety. Mostly when I was active. Just doing yard work would get it started then I had to sit down till it passed. I am now on lisinopril 10mg. for one week. It was all good till today, and it all came back again. Going back to the doctor probably have to increase dosage.

High Blood Pressure - Diet Question: Have you changed your diet to try to bring down your high blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure - Treatment Question: Do you take medication to treat your high blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure - Readings Question: Is your blood pressure reading high, low, or normal?
High Blood Pressure - Causes Question: Do you know if genetic factors, high salt intake, or arterial stiffness caused your high blood pressure?