Patient Comments: High Blood Pressure - Treatment

Do you take medication to treat your high blood pressure?

Comment from: Fuming, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

On several occasions, I was switched to generic blood pressure medicine by my insurance company and retirement fund. This led me to be hospitalized on a few occasions as the generic does not work for me. I politely wrote to them and explained my situation and enclosed letters to confirm this from my doctor. Health insurance is included in my retirement package, but I do have to pay for this, of course it is not the same as the working individual, but I do pay. Anyway, if I want and need the name brand, I have to pay the larger amount of the coverage, which is 80% not the 20% working people do. This puts a strain on what I have saved for and to live with from my retirement benefits. Since the FDA approved all these generic drugs, mine one of them, it is getting so that the insurance companies and retirement programs have a say-so in your health, not your doctor. I would like to know who gave them that right. Also, I now get my medicine from Canada simply because it is still cheaper for me to get the name brand from them than it is here. That's another thing I would like to know: Why is it cheaper there than here? Come on people, we ship it there then we have to buy it from them cheaper? There is something terribly wrong with this picture. Retired In Florida

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I developed hypertension when pregnant with my son 13 years ago. It never went away after the birth. I have taken a number of drugs to control it. I have been on 50mg of Metoprolol XL and 20 mg of Lisinopril for a while now. Although there now is a national shortage of Metoprolol XL, so my doctor had to change me to 25 mg of Atenolol twice a day until Metoprolol is available again. All the changes of drugs have been made because of insurance formulary restrictions. As a pharmacist myself, this is very detrimental to staying compliant on one's drug therapy! I wish we had nationalized health care.

Comment from: rom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am taking Olmeglare 40/5 since last 15 days. Previous blood pressure was 180/100 now it is 130/80.

Comment from: lwilliams6540, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I have high blood pressure of 208/90 and my doctor put me on clonidine 0.1mg. Everything was good, blood pressure was 118/55 until 3 days ago when the higher one (systolic) went higher 160 to 180/65. I have called my doctor but no response as of now. I"ll try calling again.

Comment from: tammyjo71, 35-44 Female Published: September 16

I have high blood pressure, and I am now taking three pills a day for it. Well, I was on two, but it was going up quite a bit to like 170/100, so my doctor put me on a third pill, which causes my ankles to swell all the time. And, I am trying to quit smoking and so far I am doing well with. I want people to know, if you are dizzy a lot, at times have red cheeks, feel tried a lot, your heart feels like it races at times, please get your blood pressure checked, these were my signs, but everyone is different. My doctors told me that with my blood pressure going up and up, my heart would like explodematter of speech. We must control our blood pressure because it can lead to worse health problems.

Comment from: silentsurvivor, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I"ve just started monitoring and charting my blood pressure. Most of the time my systolic side is between 140 and 150. The bad news is my diastolic side is sometimes over 110. I"m going to be seeing the doctor Tuesday, the 27th of May 2014. I had a blood workup done and faxed over to my cardiologist, and I will show him all the charting and monitoring I"ve been doing on my own.

Comment from: chioma, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I was diagnosed with myocardial infection. I was not admitted in the hospital was just checked and given some drugs. I thought I was OK and continued my life. When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and on a CT scan it showed my heart was enlarged. The doctors said that I was not properly taken care of that was what led to this situation. They said I should have been taking blood pressure drugs since then and it wouldn't have gotten this way. They advised me that I take my drugs religiously and that the situation will improve. I am presently on 5mg Lisinopril everyday and 12.5mg Esidrix every other day. My BP is average on 128/76 mm/HG and I pray it stays that way.

High Blood Pressure - Diet Question: Have you changed your diet to try to bring down your high blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have from your high blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure - Readings Question: Is your blood pressure reading high, low, or normal?
High Blood Pressure - Causes Question: Do you know if genetic factors, high salt intake, or arterial stiffness caused your high blood pressure?