Patient Comments: Hiccups - Length of Time

How long did you have hiccups?

Comment from: AZaki, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I am 24 year old female, weighing 54 kg. I have always had hiccups while eating rice, especially hot rice, and eating chilies, like peri-peri or Asian pakoras filled with green chili. I also hiccup when I eat stale bread or chapatti. Usually my hiccups last twenty minutes and fade themselves. Their frequency falls as I drink water while taking above mentioned meals.

Comment from: astraman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I've had hiccups on and off for 10 years. When they start they last for 2 to 3 days. I found some remedies on line, so will try them. They make me extremely unwell and drive me mad. I tried many tablets but none have worked.

Comment from: Jones, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I first had persistent hiccups for three days during my student days (31 year ago). The university doctor told me to breathe my own breath by exhaling and inhaling in a paper or plastic bag. It worked. I had persistent hiccups again last week for 6 straight days. After using the plastic bag treatment, the hiccups stopped only for 5 to 10 minutes. I went to the doctor. I was given some medicines via IV. It made me so dizzy I couldn't even sit. I had to lie in bed and fell asleep. When I woke up the next morning, the hiccups were gone. Now, I have hiccups again. It's the second day. It's difficult getting sleep. It disrupts my speech. It's embarrassing especially when explaining/talking in front of my class. I'm going back to the doctor this evening.

Comment from: StevenW, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had several bouts of hiccups lasting 6 to 7 days each time. I woke in the morning and no hiccups until I stood up. Probable cause was different anti-depressants I was trying at the time. As a side point, baclofen is also used to treat hiccups (at least in Europe where I was living at the time).

Comment from: Jumpy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I had the hiccups for two weeks. After two doctor appointments and a visit to urgent care I was prescribed chlorpromazine. After five days they are finally gone!

Comment from: hebblack, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I regularly got hiccoughs all my life and I tried all the suggested methods like drinking from opposite side of glass with arms raised high, fingers in ears, etc. I met my Indonesian husband and he just said to put on a jumper (sweater). It worked and works every time. I was a teacher and it worked every time a kid in my care had hiccoughs (hiccups). I have used other warm clothing but putting it over head seems to work best.

Comment from: Cr77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

Eat dry saltines or pretzels without drinking anything until they stop. Swallow them hard, it relaxes the diaphragm and stops the hiccups.

Comment from: Israel, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

My hiccups last 3 days or more, I have seen a doctor and they prescribed some medication. I don't know the name at this moment, but the pill is very strong and I only can take it at night.

Comment from: davfar, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had the hiccups for three weeks. I had a surgery before the hiccups started but I can't get rid of them.

Hiccups - Symptoms Question: Do you have other symptoms associated with hiccups? If so, what are they?
Hiccups - Medical Help Question: Have you ever gone to a doctor or the ER for hiccups? Please share your experience.
Hiccups - Remedies and Treatment Question: Everyone has a remedy for hiccups. What's yours?