Patient Comments: Hiccups - Remedies and Treatment

Everyone has a remedy for hiccups. What's yours?

Comment from: JukeboxGraduate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I get the hiccups every day and this works 100% of the time. Fill a glass about 1/2 full with cold water and set it on a counter. Put your thumbs in your ears and pick up the glass with your pinky fingers. Drink as much as you can. It"s okay to stop and breathe so long as you keep your thumbs in your ears. When you can"t drink anymore, keep thumbs in ears until you burp. It may take a few times to perfect this method but once you get it down, it won"t fail you!

Comment from: Female (Caregiver) Published: March 04

I am a retired pharmacist with 56 years of practical experience. For an infant, dip the dummy in glycerin and put in baby"s mouth. For an older person, a teaspoonful of undiluted glycerin; extremely sweet, but it worked every time.

Comment from: Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I have had hiccups for over 50 years. My father has the same condition. When I was about 10 he taught me a technique to stop them. This technique works first time every time for me, but it takes some persistence to master. When you get hiccups stop whatever else you are doing and concentrate on predicting when the next one will occur. I know it seems that they are unpredictable, but with practice you will find subtle precursors indicating that a hiccup is about to occur. Now that you can predict the hiccup you need to force your throat to stay open when your diaphragm spasms. This will effectively turn the hiccup into a gasp. With continued practice the technique became second nature for me and I don't even notice I'm doing it. I almost never get full hiccups anymore. I do get people wondering why I am gasping at seemingly random times. Unless you get hiccups a lot and/or they last for a long time will probably not get sufficient practice to master this technique, also since hiccups are caused by a variety of things I don't know if this will work on your hiccups, but it works for my dad and me.

Comment from: Shyanha, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

A teaspoon of sugar under my child's tongue works. The child has to hold the sugar under the tongue until it dissolves.

Comment from: SHAMMY, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

Eating 2 to 5 pieces of chilies stops the hiccups.

Comment from: IBang2StarWars, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I learned a vocal exercise that worked for me. I lay on my back with arms at the side and lift my legs in the air about six inches and sing Mary had a little lamb, in a normal singing voice. It helps me.

Comment from: Brad, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 16

Gagging myself with my toothbrush works some of the time to stop them. Also hard sneezing seems to stop them as well. I hope this helps someone.

Hiccups - Symptoms Question: Do you have other symptoms associated with hiccups? If so, what are they?
Hiccups - Medical Help Question: Have you ever gone to a doctor or the ER for hiccups? Please share your experience.
Hiccups - Length of Time Question: How long did you have hiccups?