Patient Comments: Hiccups - Remedies and Treatment

Everyone has a remedy for hiccups. What's yours?

Comment from: LK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I get hiccups often so I was told to take a glass of water, and put a thin towel over it, and drink the water through the towel. It doesn't take much but it does work, and is the only thing that I have ever found that does work.

Comment from: tronk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I had hiccups for several hours once while sick. This was many years ago. I threw up and they stopped immediately. Every time I've had hiccups since then, I've activated my gag reflex (sometimes vomiting, which isn't healthy, and sometimes not). The hiccups have stopped immediately every time. I'm not saying you should use this method, but it has allowed me to fall asleep and not be miserable probably a dozen times.

Comment from: Anon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

This cure has never failed me for hiccups. Use any liquid, as long as it is cold. Take a breath and hold it, than take a drink, but do not swallow it. Instead, let the liquid go back as far as you can in your throat. Try to get it to touch the uvula. I do not know quite the science behind it, but it shuts them down at once.

Comment from: nano2nd, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I get rid of hiccups using what I call 'The old Italian method' (so called because it was taught to me by an old Italian). I place an index finger into each ear, close my eyes as tight as possible, take as deep a breath as possible, and hold it for as long as possible. Looks stupid, but it works every time!

Comment from: Brian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

Take a swig of DayQuil for hiccups.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I have had the hiccups for 24 hours due I believe to a side effect of a drug I was given in the emergency room (ER) Saturday night. I spent the first 24 hours drinking water till my kidneys were well flushed and my hiccups would return. I went on this website and tried eating lemons; worked perfectly. No more holding my breath, drinking water, blah, blah, blah. Whatever this does to the vasovagal nerve, works for me! Good luck.

Comment from: Love my husband, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My husband told me to go put a pencil in my mouth like you are going to bite down on it, but only bite lightly to keep it in place, next drink a glass of water all at once or slowly if you like. Keep a towel around your neck as you may dribble some. It's amazing, the hiccups were gone in an instant. We are not sure why, it is something to do with keeping the mouth in alignment while drinking water to get rid of the air causing the hiccups. Seriously it works!

Comment from: alexia, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 21

My mom always told me to lay on the couch and drink a glass of water with my head tilted backwards, as a remedy for hiccups.

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

My remedy for hiccups is as follows: swallow seven times, take a deep breath, hold it for a count of ten and swallow again. If you hiccup in the middle you should start again, but this probably won't happen more than once, if at all. I don't know where I heard this, but it always seems to work. I figure that as the hiccup is a spasm of the diaphragm, the repeated swallowing counteracts it.

Hiccups - Symptoms Question: Do you have other symptoms associated with hiccups? If so, what are they?
Hiccups - Medical Help Question: Have you ever gone to a doctor or the ER for hiccups? Please share your experience.
Hiccups - Length of Time Question: How long did you have hiccups?