Patient Comments: Hiccups - Remedies and Treatment

Everyone has a remedy for hiccups. What's yours?

Comment from: AzVaMike, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I slugged a glass of Sunny D orange strawberry flavored drink and it worked to keep my hiccups off for half hour. I am going to drink another and see what happens; it didn't work this time.

Comment from: jagonjo, 19-24 (Caregiver) Published: April 18

The best hiccup cure is a full distraction and/or fright. Hiccups occur when the hypothalamus is in overdrive mode, which happens during stress coupled with heightened stimulus to the amygdala. Two things work, focus on the sensation of the hiccup, try to do it. Force it even. Then, hold your breath, and focus on trying to hiccup. Then wait, and when waiting, do something that you are good at and love doing, like a game or go talk to someone or pat something fluffy or curl up in bed with at least 4 blankets. If you are still having trouble after doing all these things, then do them again.

Comment from: td, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

Back in the seventies when I was living in more of the seventies style, a bartender once told me how to get rid of the hiccups. Very simple and still works after all these years of no drinking or drugs; one very small sip of vinegar, that's all. Now when I get the hiccups it is because I am constipated. That is a different problem.

Comment from: LK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I get hiccups often so I was told to take a glass of water, and put a thin towel over it, and drink the water through the towel. It doesn't take much but it does work, and is the only thing that I have ever found that does work.

Comment from: tronk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I had hiccups for several hours once while sick. This was many years ago. I threw up and they stopped immediately. Every time I've had hiccups since then, I've activated my gag reflex (sometimes vomiting, which isn't healthy, and sometimes not). The hiccups have stopped immediately every time. I'm not saying you should use this method, but it has allowed me to fall asleep and not be miserable probably a dozen times.

Comment from: Anon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

This cure has never failed me for hiccups. Use any liquid, as long as it is cold. Take a breath and hold it, than take a drink, but do not swallow it. Instead, let the liquid go back as far as you can in your throat. Try to get it to touch the uvula. I do not know quite the science behind it, but it shuts them down at once.

Comment from: nano2nd, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I get rid of hiccups using what I call 'The old Italian method' (so called because it was taught to me by an old Italian). I place an index finger into each ear, close my eyes as tight as possible, take as deep a breath as possible, and hold it for as long as possible. Looks stupid, but it works every time!

Comment from: Brian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

Take a swig of DayQuil for hiccups.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I have had the hiccups for 24 hours due I believe to a side effect of a drug I was given in the emergency room (ER) Saturday night. I spent the first 24 hours drinking water till my kidneys were well flushed and my hiccups would return. I went on this website and tried eating lemons; worked perfectly. No more holding my breath, drinking water, blah, blah, blah. Whatever this does to the vasovagal nerve, works for me! Good luck.

Hiccups - Symptoms Question: Do you have other symptoms associated with hiccups? If so, what are they?
Hiccups - Medical Help Question: Have you ever gone to a doctor or the ER for hiccups? Please share your experience.
Hiccups - Length of Time Question: How long did you have hiccups?