Patient Comments: Hiccups - Medical Help

Have you ever gone to a doctor or the ER for hiccups? Please share your experience.

Comment from: IamNanaG13, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 11

After having hiccups for almost 48 hours I convinced my husband to go to the emergency department at our local Veterans Affairs hospital. EKG, x-ray, breathing treatment, ultrasound, and CAT scan were all done and it was found he has a paraesophageal hiatal hernia. He was given (intravenously) a shot of Reglan and it did, after 12 hours more, bring the hiccups to an end. Now we will deal with the underlying issue.

Comment from: Dee D, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

Not myself, but a friend had hiccups for almost 24 hours, and became so overwrought he went to a local emergency room. He was examined and found to be otherwise healthy, with no stomach distress or nervousness as described in the above article. The remedy he was given was peanut butter! No explanation was given as to why this would work, although I"m assuming the texture might have something to do with it. He likes peanut butter, so it wasn"t a problem getting him to eat it with a spoon. He ate a tablespoon every 15 minutes for an hour. It broke the chain of the spasm, and he has not had a problem since.

Comment from: Freakin'Peanutbutter, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

I just spent the past two hours suffering from hiccups that made me feel like I was on the verge of vomiting. Historically, I knew my hiccups were something special: they never lasted less than an hour and they always hurt or at least brought me nausea. So I turned to google and saw two words that I didn't know before I was hospitalized earlier this year, hiatal hernia. I saw that and thought that's what I have, and then proceeded to doubt that peanut butter could have any sort of positive effect on my suffering, but I put aside my skepticism and shoved an entire tablespoon of peanut butter in my mouth. Presto; the hiccups are just gone. Magically (meaning using science I don't understand) gone!

Comment from: boogieboy, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 13

Many thanks to the person posting the 'peanut butter' solution for hiccups. I tried it after my grandson had hiccups for 24 hours and after the first tablespoon they stopped. I will see how today goes.

Hiccups - Symptoms Question: Do you have other symptoms associated with hiccups? If so, what are they?
Hiccups - Remedies and Treatment Question: Everyone has a remedy for hiccups. What's yours?
Hiccups - Length of Time Question: How long did you have hiccups?