Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Surgery

Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.

Comment from: tobytylersf, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 20

I've had a hiatal hernia (among other injuries) since I was a circus aerialist several years ago. It took nearly seven years to properly diagnose my condition; most doctors aren't familiar with it and kept sending me to cardiac care because of my chest pains. Eventually they figured it out, and I was given surgery (Nissan fundoplication). For about a year, things were fine, and then the sutures inside me disintegrated (according to a later endoscopy) and left me worse off than I'd been before. Dealing with a hiatal hernia has been a full-time job for both my wife and I. I've gotten very good results from a chiropractor who does a stomach massage that puts things back in place now and then. However, medical doctors have been mainly useless in my treatment, other than providing me with proton pump inhibitors that cause as many problems as they solve. Most of the time I feel fairly lousy; at best I feel a little less than that. I was a professional athlete when younger, but now I am unable to perform any but the most simple of exercises (walking is as much as I can handle). My experience with doctors throughout has been that they don't understand hiatal hernias overall, and don't care to deal with patients that they can't easily treat.

Comment from: Robert K., (Patient) Published: April 06

I had hiatal hernia surgery days ago, expect to be fine in a few more days. One thing is carbonated beverages are forbidden for a while, yet the only thing that helps my bloated feeling is burping, which I wait for until I continue eating. I thought a soda drink would help with that. I also have pain in my left shoulder; curious side effect. One other thing that might help people during recovery is chicken soup with rice, and similar things, which can be 'souped up' in a blender, and provide a good nourishing liquid meal.

Comment from: Waytoomuch, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

After many, many years of acid reflux and living with the symptoms, I decided to have an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy. Well, lo and behold I had a hiatal hernia. After successful surgery to repair this unnecessary disease, I feel like a million dollars. The preforming doctor told me to go ahead and throw away all my prescription medicine associated with this nightmare. I have had not one problem since. Only question is why I did not do this 8 years ago!

Comment from: Hcc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was born with a hiatal hernia which was left undiagnosed until the age of 25. I was ill from birth, having problems digesting and keeping food down. Vomiting and abdominal pain was my every day way of life, my new general practitioner diagnosed the hernia and surgery was my only option. This was 31 years ago and all was well until I was involved in an accident. I have another hernia and presently trying different medications to treat the symptoms. I had the invasive surgery in 1984, the esophagus was wrapped and inserted into the stomach. Best thing I ever did as I have led an active life ever since. Surgery may be inevitable but I would do it again to get the relief I have been fortunate to benefit from with the first surgery.

Comment from: northdlite, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have had a hiatal hernia for years and had the surgery a month ago. My stomach was twisted and was under my chest cavity (90 percent). I have the pain in the middle of my chest like I am having a heart attack and pain in the jaw. I have been to the emergency room and was told I did not have a heart attack and all was well.

Comment from: kmumsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia last July after receiving an endoscopy. Before then I was always coughing. I couldn't lean to either side or put pressure on my stomach (like resting my arms or a book on it). I thought it came from moving a clothes dryer as it appeared around the same time. I took extra Prilosec, Pepcid AC, and then my doctor prescribed metoclopramide and famotidine numerous times a day. I don't think they are working that well for me and after reading the experiences I think I'm going to opt for the surgery, while I'm still young. Plus I'm worried the long term side effects.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.