Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Surgery

Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.

Comment from: Michael, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I had robotic laparoscopic paraesophageal Nissen fundoplication six months ago after a stress test, heart catheter and ending up in the emergency room from sudden chest pain. I didn't realize how sick I was for years. My stomach was also twisted. I have not felt this good in many years. I can and do eat anything now and I have no problems. I am 55 years old but I feel like I'm 20 again. I only missed 2 weeks of work, have the surgery!

Comment from: farmboy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I have had all the symptoms listed in this discussed thus far. I have a para esophageal hiatal hernia. Your quality of life does not have to suffer. You can get relief. Surgery is definitely the way to go. Get yourself a specialist in hiatal hernia repairs, or you'll be getting the surgery more than once. Don't settle for just a general surgeon or even just a gastro specialist. Been there, done that and am a 3 time offender. Ask the doctor what their success rate is and even ask to talk to some of their treated patients. (Hint: Ask them how many times they have been fixed for this problem.) It is a long very serious surgery, but I for one want to live my life as normal as possible and this surgery is the way to go if you are a candidate for it.

Comment from: bcrispe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

Two years ago I had a surgery called open Nissen fundoplication on a rolling hernia that reached my esophagus and was pressing against my heart. I couldn't breathe, swallow, was vomiting and my pain was a 10 on the pain scale. I now have another hernia where the original stiches broke, causing new pain and vomiting.

Comment from: mommyof5, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I believe I've suffered with this for a very long time. I'm only 33 but since I was 14 I struggled with the heartburn and reflux and the food getting stuck. Also a lot of chest and abdominal pain. I honestly didn't think it was a hernia really didn't think to much about it except that I had bad heartburn an reflux. I recently had Lapband surgery and the dr found a hernia an got rid of it. He said it was pretty big an thought I most likely had it for years. It's only been 2 weeks since surgery but I can tell a huge difference. I'm so happy he found it and took care of it. I read a lot of these posts and I just can't believe so many ppl have to suffer from this and their drs aren't doin surgery.

Comment from: pulga, 35-44 Female Published: December 12

I have had seven surgeries. The first one was diverticulitis. The next five surgeries was hiatal hernias. In the hiatal hernia fourth surgery, they gave me a small patch over the hernia site which was lost somewhere in my body. Nobody has retrieved it. Then my colon broke and they fixed it. Then they put an 8 by 8 mesh across my stomach. Then a plug. I am in terrible pain and nobody wants to help me. I can't lift anything without terrible pain and I can't even push or pull without hurting myself. I'm begging for somebody to help me. I have a claim number but nobody will accept it. If I can see a doctor to take the claim number, they will be paid in full every time I see them.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.