Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Surgery

Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.

Comment from: Waytoomuch, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

After many, many years of acid reflux and living with the symptoms, I decided to have an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy. Well, lo and behold I had a hiatal hernia. After successful surgery to repair this unnecessary disease, I feel like a million dollars. The preforming doctor told me to go ahead and throw away all my prescription medicine associated with this nightmare. I have had not one problem since. Only question is why I did not do this 8 years ago!

Comment from: Hcc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was born with a hiatal hernia which was left undiagnosed until the age of 25. I was ill from birth, having problems digesting and keeping food down. Vomiting and abdominal pain was my every day way of life, my new general practitioner diagnosed the hernia and surgery was my only option. This was 31 years ago and all was well until I was involved in an accident. I have another hernia and presently trying different medications to treat the symptoms. I had the invasive surgery in 1984, the esophagus was wrapped and inserted into the stomach. Best thing I ever did as I have led an active life ever since. Surgery may be inevitable but I would do it again to get the relief I have been fortunate to benefit from with the first surgery.

Comment from: Four_family, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I am 10 days post hiatal hernia surgery, finally doing well after a tough week. I am experiencing substantial heartburn, I was told I wouldn't.

Comment from: Michael, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I had robotic laparoscopic paraesophageal Nissen fundoplication six months ago after a stress test, heart catheter and ending up in the emergency room from sudden chest pain. I didn't realize how sick I was for years. My stomach was also twisted. I have not felt this good in many years. I can and do eat anything now and I have no problems. I am 55 years old but I feel like I'm 20 again. I only missed 2 weeks of work, have the surgery!

Comment from: farmboy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I have had all the symptoms listed in this discussed thus far. I have a para esophageal hiatal hernia. Your quality of life does not have to suffer. You can get relief. Surgery is definitely the way to go. Get yourself a specialist in hiatal hernia repairs, or you'll be getting the surgery more than once. Don't settle for just a general surgeon or even just a gastro specialist. Been there, done that and am a 3 time offender. Ask the doctor what their success rate is and even ask to talk to some of their treated patients. (Hint: Ask them how many times they have been fixed for this problem.) It is a long very serious surgery, but I for one want to live my life as normal as possible and this surgery is the way to go if you are a candidate for it.

Comment from: toroshiryo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I am 25 and I was born with hiatal hernia. I just had the surgery three weeks ago and I am still in so much pain and the doctor won't help.

Comment from: bcrispe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

Two years ago I had a surgery called open Nissen fundoplication on a rolling hernia that reached my esophagus and was pressing against my heart. I couldn't breathe, swallow, was vomiting and my pain was a 10 on the pain scale. I now have another hernia where the original stiches broke, causing new pain and vomiting.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.