Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Surgery

Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.

Comment from: LadieDyan77, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I had hiatal surgery with Nissen wrap in April 2016. I have had chronic diarrhea for 6 months and sometimes it explodes and I have no idea or warning. The gastroenterologist did colonoscopy and ruled everything out, all negative. I hate living this way. He now says I have dumping syndrome; no drinking fluids half hour before or after meal, and no drinking during meal! Seriously! I eat something and boom, I have to run to the bathroom. It is ridiculous. I hate living this way! No relief in my future.

Comment from: DukeHospitalFan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My voice was very hoarse due to acid reflux and vomiting at night; however, I did not have heartburn. Medicines, diet, elevated bed, etc., did not help. I got out of breath even when walking on flat ground. I had surgery 2 and a 1/2 years ago to repair my hiatal hernia. Surgeon said a large portion of my stomach was in my chest. Best thing I ever did! Patients need to strictly follow surgeon's instructions afterwards; liquid diet for a week then soft food for 2 weeks, no lifting for a number of weeks, and stop all heavy lifting in the future. Now at 60 plus years, I can exercise again, easily walk 3 plus miles, run up 15 steps, take 0 meds, eat what I want (smaller portions though), and live an active lifestyle. Thanks to the doctor!

Comment from: Dorothy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Since having robotic hiatal hernia surgery, I have a lot of gas, constipation and bloating. I pass a lot of gas, which I very seldom did before and have a lot of pressure in my chest. It seems to be getting worse instead of better.

Comment from: tobytylersf, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 20

I've had a hiatal hernia (among other injuries) since I was a circus aerialist several years ago. It took nearly seven years to properly diagnose my condition; most doctors aren't familiar with it and kept sending me to cardiac care because of my chest pains. Eventually they figured it out, and I was given surgery (Nissan fundoplication). For about a year, things were fine, and then the sutures inside me disintegrated (according to a later endoscopy) and left me worse off than I'd been before. Dealing with a hiatal hernia has been a full-time job for both my wife and I. I've gotten very good results from a chiropractor who does a stomach massage that puts things back in place now and then. However, medical doctors have been mainly useless in my treatment, other than providing me with proton pump inhibitors that cause as many problems as they solve. Most of the time I feel fairly lousy; at best I feel a little less than that. I was a professional athlete when younger, but now I am unable to perform any but the most simple of exercises (walking is as much as I can handle). My experience with doctors throughout has been that they don't understand hiatal hernias overall, and don't care to deal with patients that they can't easily treat.

Comment from: Robert K., (Patient) Published: April 06

I had hiatal hernia surgery days ago, expect to be fine in a few more days. One thing is carbonated beverages are forbidden for a while, yet the only thing that helps my bloated feeling is burping, which I wait for until I continue eating. I thought a soda drink would help with that. I also have pain in my left shoulder; curious side effect. One other thing that might help people during recovery is chicken soup with rice, and similar things, which can be 'souped up' in a blender, and provide a good nourishing liquid meal.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.