Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes

What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?

Comment from: esined, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I recently gained a few pounds, and that's when it got worse. I had to change my diet. No citrus, chocolate, caffeine, tomato or spicy foods. Some over-the-counter medications have caffeine in them, such as Excedrin. So I cut out some of these products and I felt better. Oh, and I do not eat or drink three hours before going to bed. I use extra pillows when sleeping.

Comment from: lily, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had my first endoscopy today after having heartburn for years. Diagnosed with hiatal hernia, GERDS, and gastritis. I take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar every night mixed in a few tablespoons of water. No heartburn, works like a charm. GI doctor told me this is good to do and he also proscribed a med in the Prilosec family that hopefully I will be able to tolerate as Prilosec makes me feel like somebody punched me in stomach. I too, alka seltzer for years and wonder did the aspirin in it cause my gastritis. Doctor said don't take alka seltzer, it causes ulcers.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.