Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/

Comment from: EAMorton, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have a hiatal hernia and GERD. I was diagnosed when I was 25 while I was pregnant with my 3rd child. I had the worst attack possible and had to undergo an upper endoscopy while 5 1/2 months pregnant. I not only had those problems, but also cholecystitis (an inflamed gall bladder, which I had removed after the baby was born). Since then, I"ve had another child, and several endoscopies, confirming Barrett"s esophagus and the hiatal hernia. After several bouts with esophagitis, for which I took Carafate, I am now on Nexium twice a day, and have been for several years, and have no trouble with heartburn, hiccups, burping, or pain. Nexium was the answer for me.

Comment from: ceriggles, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I have been diagnosed with a small sliding hiatal hernia and GERD. I have been on 40mg of Nexium twice a day for 6 weeks with minimal success as well as diet changes and sleeping elevated. I am having esophageal manometry and PH study done in the next few weeks to see what else can be done other than surgery. I have never been a proponent of surgery, but this is miserable living with this every day.

Comment from: MURPHY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

Start drinking fluids at onset of pain and continue to take small drinks until pain subsides, it really works for me and my mother! I prefer water.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.