Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/

A Doctor's View on Hiatal Hernia Treatment

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

There are a variety of treatments for hiatal hernia. Dr. Cunha comments on some of the treatments for this condition. There are lifestyle changes you can make, OTC and prescription medications, and if necessary surgery. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Tony, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

My general physician says I have the typical symptoms of hiatal hernia but never confirmed by endoscopy, etc. Initially I was placed on a 30 day treatment course of the PPI (proton pump inhibitor) lansoprazole 30 mg daily. It certainly helped, together with my raising the foot of our bed and plumping up my pillows. I also generally try to avoid certain trigger foods such as greasy meals and red wine. However, once I came off treatment, after one month my symptoms re-occurred with temporary relief by chewing the occasional antacid tablet (Rennie). My doctor has now prescribed a half strength PPI i.e. 15 mg which I take daily in the afternoon between lunch and dinner. This dosage regimen now gives me symptom free relief until at least 24 hours later, until I take my next tablet. Sometimes, if I have been a bit naughty with my diet I find I need to chew the occasional antacid tablet. A glass of water also helps reduce the incidence of symptoms. Generally speaking, though I am well controlled and happy to be in my space.

Comment from: EAMorton, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have a hiatal hernia and GERD. I was diagnosed when I was 25 while I was pregnant with my 3rd child. I had the worst attack possible and had to undergo an upper endoscopy while 5 1/2 months pregnant. I not only had those problems, but also cholecystitis (an inflamed gall bladder, which I had removed after the baby was born). Since then, I"ve had another child, and several endoscopies, confirming Barrett"s esophagus and the hiatal hernia. After several bouts with esophagitis, for which I took Carafate, I am now on Nexium twice a day, and have been for several years, and have no trouble with heartburn, hiccups, burping, or pain. Nexium was the answer for me.

Comment from: ceriggles, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I have been diagnosed with a small sliding hiatal hernia and GERD. I have been on 40mg of Nexium twice a day for 6 weeks with minimal success as well as diet changes and sleeping elevated. I am having esophageal manometry and PH study done in the next few weeks to see what else can be done other than surgery. I have never been a proponent of surgery, but this is miserable living with this every day.

Comment from: anfrz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I was in the emergency room (ER) last night with severe pain under my right breast and in the middle of my upper stomach. Constipation is another issue I am experiencing. I was put on Reglan 30 minutes before meals and one before bed until my surgeons decide further treatment. The hospital doctor said the hernia is huge. Very painful.

Comment from: MURPHY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

Start drinking fluids at onset of pain and continue to take small drinks until pain subsides, it really works for me and my mother! I prefer water.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.