Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?

A Doctor's View on Hiatal Hernia Symptoms

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Hiatal hernia symptoms can be quite bothersome. If you have a hiatal hernia you may experience some symptoms like chest pain, stomach pain, sweating, difficulty swallowing, and even a sore throat. Read more of Dr. Cunha's comments on hiatal hernia symptoms. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: tnt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

Hi to my fellow hiatal hernia sufferers. I also have GERD with a hiatal hernia. It has been going on now for 5 years, the pantoprazole and Nexium not working any more. I have tried everything except surgery. I have terrible chest, arm, back (between shoulder blades) and stomach pains. It pains at night as I try to lie down and sleep. I don't know what to eat anymore as everything I eat causes pain. It is so bad I maybe get relief at 4 to 5 am. I have been up all night at times. My life is starting to be really awful. I am looking into surgery as a last option! I hope someone with my same symptoms has better luck. I will keep you posted as to surgery results.

Comment from: Robert K., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I had hiatal hernia surgery days ago, expect to be fine in a few more days. One thing is carbonated beverages are forbidden for a while, yet the only thing that helps my bloated feeling is burping, which I wait for until I continue eating. I thought a soda drink would help with that. I also have pain in my left shoulder; curious side effect. One other thing that might help people during recovery is chicken soup with rice, and similar things, which can be 'souped up' in a blender, and provide a good nourishing liquid meal.

Comment from: Pud, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have been treated for a hiatal hernia since 2001. My main symptom is belching and bloating. I do not get heart burn. I have tried all OTC antacids, and several prescription ones (which helped moderately). I have decided to have surgery by a hiatal hernia repair specialist. Stay tuned.

Comment from: MarknCA, Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I have just been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and ulcer. For years I have been taking pantoprazole and ranitidine. Yet I vomit every night and just about any time I am horizontal. I can never eat a large meal (I made the mistake one time and threw up for an hour during the night covering the bedroom and bathroom.) I have pain after every meal and exhaustion and constipation. I can't eat anything acidic; juice, alcohol, grapefruit as well as chocolate, coffee, and coke. The exhaustion after meals is the worst part along with the constant washing of sheets.

Comment from: Cham, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I was told I had a hiatal hernia at 16, and now at 37 it is much worse. I was told back then that I was just too young for the surgery but now as nothing I do ever gives me more than a few hours relief, I feel like going to the doctor and begging him to do the surgery. I know they say they know how we feel but unless you have one you don't know what it is like to look at food and want to throw up because you know if you eat that is what will happen. I have been on every acid blocker I have ever heard of and yes, they reduce the symptoms but I am tired of hurting all the time, not getting enough sleep, and simply not being able to eat foods I like (even bland food hurts). When a glass of water sets it off, well, it is time to do something different.

Comment from: horsebiscuit, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I was diagnosed year and a half ago with hiatal hernia. It is nothing but pure agony since. I changed diet, did everything the doctors said, and still in pain. I think it is time for surgery. I found out I'm also lactose intolerant, recently going to the doctor. Today I had an attack, Saturday night 5/14, and because the pain felt like a heart attack it scared me and my wife; called 911 no heart attack. Thank goodness, I just want the pain to stop.

Comment from: nursewanda, (Caregiver) Published: November 03

My husband had a moderate hiatal hernia several years ago with the classis GERD symptoms. He had a laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication and did well for a while. After approximately three years the symptoms came back worse than before so he went in to see his prior surgeon. Through a series of test he determined that the procedure had failed and the hernia was back so this time he had an open Nissen which was major surgery. About 4 months ago and more than 12 years after the surgery here we go again except the symptoms are worse than ever. Now he's having chest pain, abdominal distention, shortness of breath, etc. He was admitted to the hospital two weeks ago where through a CT scan they determined the hernia is now so large that over half of his stomach is in his chest and it is almost touching the lower chambers of his heart. We have an appointment with one of the top surgeons who specializes in the procedure and has 9 published articles on the topic so wish us luck.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.