Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?

A Doctor's View on Hiatal Hernia Symptoms

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Hiatal hernia symptoms can be quite bothersome. If you have a hiatal hernia you may experience some symptoms like chest pain, stomach pain, sweating, difficulty swallowing, and even a sore throat. Read more of Dr. Cunha's comments on hiatal hernia symptoms. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Pud, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have been treated for a hiatal hernia since 2001. My main symptom is belching and bloating. I do not get heart burn. I have tried all OTC antacids, and several prescription ones (which helped moderately). I have decided to have surgery by a hiatal hernia repair specialist. Stay tuned.

Comment from: MarknCA, Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I have just been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and ulcer. For years I have been taking pantoprazole and ranitidine. Yet I vomit every night and just about any time I am horizontal. I can never eat a large meal (I made the mistake one time and threw up for an hour during the night covering the bedroom and bathroom.) I have pain after every meal and exhaustion and constipation. I can't eat anything acidic; juice, alcohol, grapefruit as well as chocolate, coffee, and coke. The exhaustion after meals is the worst part along with the constant washing of sheets.

Comment from: Cham, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I was told I had a hiatal hernia at 16, and now at 37 it is much worse. I was told back then that I was just too young for the surgery but now as nothing I do ever gives me more than a few hours relief, I feel like going to the doctor and begging him to do the surgery. I know they say they know how we feel but unless you have one you don't know what it is like to look at food and want to throw up because you know if you eat that is what will happen. I have been on every acid blocker I have ever heard of and yes, they reduce the symptoms but I am tired of hurting all the time, not getting enough sleep, and simply not being able to eat foods I like (even bland food hurts). When a glass of water sets it off, well, it is time to do something different.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I just had my third upper endoscopy. I've had acid reflux for 18 years since a car accident. The head of my bed has been raised, and the medications have increased over the years. Now I have excruciating pain under my sternum that goes to my backbone, up the back of my neck and now to both sides of my jaw and teeth. It lasts for about half an hour now and feels like a heart attack. Doctors have scratched their heads, ruled out heart problems and now I have a large hiatal hernia and have been referred to a surgeon.

Comment from: MIKE P, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I feel like someone grabs me under the breastbone, then twists and squeezes at the same time. The pain and pressure from hiatal hernia go right up to my throat and ears. I drink a tall glass of ice cold water and the symptoms disappear immediately.

Comment from: nursewanda, (Caregiver) Published: November 03

My husband had a moderate hiatal hernia several years ago with the classis GERD symptoms. He had a laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication and did well for a while. After approximately three years the symptoms came back worse than before so he went in to see his prior surgeon. Through a series of test he determined that the procedure had failed and the hernia was back so this time he had an open Nissen which was major surgery. About 4 months ago and more than 12 years after the surgery here we go again except the symptoms are worse than ever. Now he's having chest pain, abdominal distention, shortness of breath, etc. He was admitted to the hospital two weeks ago where through a CT scan they determined the hernia is now so large that over half of his stomach is in his chest and it is almost touching the lower chambers of his heart. We have an appointment with one of the top surgeons who specializes in the procedure and has 9 published articles on the topic so wish us luck.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.