Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?

Comment from: DDee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I think I have hiatal hernia. I have, for years, had episodes where I am unable to swallow anything, even saliva. Other times, I start eating, and I have to run, throw up, then am unable to eat for a while. This has been going on now, since mid-90s. I went to the emergency room the one time I simply felt as if food was stuck in my esophagus, and I was not able to throw it up, or get it down after 8 hours.

Comment from: panama8, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I got off a five hour plane trip at 2:15 and by 3:30 I felt as if something in my chest exploded and the pain I felt led me to believe I was having a heart attack. I was rushed to the hospital but all my enzymes were fine and a heart attack was ruled out and Hiatal Hernia was the cause. The pain is excruciating and really mimics a heart attack. I am now afraid to eat or to lay down on my bed I use four pillows. The burping and nausea is also present.

Comment from: badgersue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

Once I throw up I am able to eat again. I have not been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia though. My doctor doesn't seem to equate my symptoms with any particular malady.

Comment from: tatty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

When lying down in bed, a sudden volcanic-like eruption from the stomach or hernia will push stomach acid straight up my esophagus into my mouth with incredible force. The pain from the acid burn literally burns my tongue, my throat and esophagus all the way down. It hurts really badly. Air hitting my throat hurts! I'm always afraid to lie down and eat after these episodes.

Comment from: herniagirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

My symptoms are pinching debilating pain under my rib cage. I also get gastroitis and take meds for acid reflux. Bloating and pain after eating or drinking to much. The only relief is laying down or going to the chiropractor to get it pushed back down where it belongs.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.