Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?

Comment from: Mac, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had severe stomach aches for a year right after I eat regardless of what it is. I just had an endoscopy and have a hiatal hernia but no acid reflux - just the stomach aches. I am now on Prilosec and hope I can get off the BRAT diet and eat - afraid in case I get that horrible stomach again.

Comment from: Pendara, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had norovirus 7 years ago with severe vomiting. Afterwards, my voice was raspy. Several doctors later, I was diagnosed with GERD (I"ve never had heartburn) and given every medicine under the sun for it. Voice remained raspy and at night, I would wake with ear pain from acid backing up. Finally a doctor said I could have a sliding hiatal hernia, even though endoscopy didn"t reveal such. He offered more medicines. I went to a chiropractor, who did an adjustment. Six weeks later, no more acid backup at night and my voice is slowly recovering, though scarring may prevent its full recovery.

Comment from: DDee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I think I have hiatal hernia. I have, for years, had episodes where I am unable to swallow anything, even saliva. Other times, I start eating, and I have to run, throw up, then am unable to eat for a while. This has been going on now, since mid-90s. I went to the emergency room the one time I simply felt as if food was stuck in my esophagus, and I was not able to throw it up, or get it down after 8 hours.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I"ve just been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I"ve had some epigastric pain 2-3 times over the past 6 months, but most recently a 2 week bout of nausea after 5 hours of epigastric pain. I"m trying to watch what I eat, eating more and more of low residue diet, and small quantities at a time. I don"t want surgery. I"m a registered nurse and see too many problems with abdominal surgeries. I get a little heartburn and occasional burning in my chest (like chest pain); I"m going to see how long I can go the non-invasive holistic approach. Hoping I don"t have to have surgery!

Comment from: panama8, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I got off a five hour plane trip at 2:15 and by 3:30 I felt as if something in my chest exploded and the pain I felt led me to believe I was having a heart attack. I was rushed to the hospital but all my enzymes were fine and a heart attack was ruled out and Hiatal Hernia was the cause. The pain is excruciating and really mimics a heart attack. I am now afraid to eat or to lay down on my bed I use four pillows. The burping and nausea is also present.

Comment from: badgersue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

Once I throw up I am able to eat again. I have not been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia though. My doctor doesn't seem to equate my symptoms with any particular malady.

Comment from: tatty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

When lying down in bed, a sudden volcanic-like eruption from the stomach or hernia will push stomach acid straight up my esophagus into my mouth with incredible force. The pain from the acid burn literally burns my tongue, my throat and esophagus all the way down. It hurts really badly. Air hitting my throat hurts! I'm always afraid to lie down and eat after these episodes.

Comment from: herniagirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

My symptoms are pinching debilating pain under my rib cage. I also get gastroitis and take meds for acid reflux. Bloating and pain after eating or drinking to much. The only relief is laying down or going to the chiropractor to get it pushed back down where it belongs.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.