Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?

A Doctor's View on Hiatal Hernia Symptoms

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Hiatal hernia symptoms can be quite bothersome. If you have a hiatal hernia you may experience some symptoms like:

• chest pain,
  • stomach pain,
  • sweating,
  • difficulty swallowing, and
  • even a sore throat.
Read more of Dr. Cunha's comments on hiatal hernia symptoms. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Thisbe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

My hiatal hernia was discovered in 2009 during the EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) prior to my vertical sleeve gastrectomy surgery in (for weight loss). I had been suffering from GERD for several years, but this was a surprise. The surgeon repaired the hernia, and I have been on a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) ever since. They also said I had Barrett's esophagus, so I am on a 3 year schedule for EGDs. At the last one, the gastroenterologist said the hernia was back, but was still rather small, and because of scar tissue from the last surgery, he did not think it needed repair. Since then, I have been dealing with the GERD that is triggered by the hernia, and asthma that is triggered by the GERD; a vicious trifecta. Yesterday, I had a pulmonary function test for my asthma, and a resulting coughing fit aggravated the hernia. I felt like I had a large marble caught in my throat and could barely swallow. I will be seeing the gastroenterologist in a couple months, and I am hoping that I can convince him to fix the hernia so I can maybe feel normal again.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had a Nissan fundoplication 5 years ago and was told I had a hiatal hernia which was also to be repaired. I found out through an x-ray and the hernia was not fixed. I now cannot eat or drink without going into spasms, severe pain in the stomach and the back. The only way to relieve the pain is to force myself to vomit and get the liquid I do try to drink out. I became dehydrated and had to go to my emergency department to be hydrated again. As I read other people's problems I too have the white foamy liquid I have to spew out as well. I have never felt so bad in my entire life and will insist on having the hernia repair as soon as possible. Hopefully I will get back to being hale to eat and drink normally and get on with my busy life with my 5 beautiful grand kids. Take care everyone and hope you get the answers you need.

Comment from: tnt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

Hi to my fellow hiatal hernia sufferers. I also have GERD with a hiatal hernia. It has been going on now for 5 years, the pantoprazole and Nexium not working any more. I have tried everything except surgery. I have terrible chest, arm, back (between shoulder blades) and stomach pains. It pains at night as I try to lie down and sleep. I don't know what to eat anymore as everything I eat causes pain. It is so bad I maybe get relief at 4 to 5 am. I have been up all night at times. My life is starting to be really awful. I am looking into surgery as a last option! I hope someone with my same symptoms has better luck. I will keep you posted as to surgery results.

Comment from: Robert K., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I had hiatal hernia surgery days ago, expect to be fine in a few more days. One thing is carbonated beverages are forbidden for a while, yet the only thing that helps my bloated feeling is burping, which I wait for until I continue eating. I thought a soda drink would help with that. I also have pain in my left shoulder; curious side effect. One other thing that might help people during recovery is chicken soup with rice, and similar things, which can be 'souped up' in a blender, and provide a good nourishing liquid meal.

Comment from: Pud, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have been treated for a hiatal hernia since 2001. My main symptom is belching and bloating. I do not get heart burn. I have tried all OTC antacids, and several prescription ones (which helped moderately). I have decided to have surgery by a hiatal hernia repair specialist. Stay tuned.

Hiatal Hernia - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.