Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Experience

Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.

Comment from: StephMarie8379, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after an endoscopy. I have horrible GERD and chest pain. Also every time I eat I get short of breath and my stomach and chest hurts. It is getting to the point that it is unbearable.

Comment from: abdullah, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after an endoscopy. I have unbelievable chest pain with GERD. I do not like going to bed when I eat. I do not eat chocolate, ice cream, and citrus food, still have chest pain every time. I took chest x-ray and echo and it is fine. The doctor said it is a small hiatal hernia so he won't do surgery, so I want to die.

Comment from: rtfaxe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after an endoscopy. Heartburn drugs were not working and I had a feeling something was in my throat all the time. I saw a naturopath, improved my diet, no tomato products, no caffeine, no chocolate, no alcohol and my symptoms improved to the point that I rarely have heartburn. I do not take any medications but I eat small meals, never exercise within two hours of eating, and raised my bed 8 inches by putting a slat on the bed frame. Benefits from this include weight loss, improved energy and reduced anxiety because it doesn't feel like I am dying. One has to be diligent with their diet and then your chances of success are way higher. Life is good, I don't mind making the changes to have way more energy and improved health. Good luck people, I hope you find something that works for you.

Comment from: Mrs. Saleh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and GERD about 8 years ago. When I ate it felt like there was something in my throat blocking my air passage, like my throat was closing. I couldn't eat but maybe a bite, sometimes two, before I would have to run to the bathroom to throw up. This went on for over a year along with the intense pain in my stomach that I still deal with. However, instead of having this pain every day, several times a day, I now only experience it about two to four times a month. The reason for this is because my mother told me of some exercises to do to help the stomach turn right side in. Also she told me of cold milk or water. Drinking one of these gives instant relief from this crippling pain. To do the exercises, simply stand up, raising arms in the air and lifting up and down from your toes 15 times. The other is raising your arms over your head and breathing in and out, like you are doing Lamaze for child birth, for 15 seconds. I hope these help, like they did me.

Comment from: dinogirlca, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I too suffer terribly with heartburn, acid reflux and was told years ago after endoscopy that I had a hiatal hernia as well. At that time I had H. pylori and severe gastritis. I can go periods of time and not have any problems, but then it will act up and oh goodness, the pain is unbearable in my chest and shoulder blades, sometimes I think I even get anxiety from it all. It feels like food is stuck in my throat and I am constantly burping. I feel it is getting worse as I get older. I had my gall bladder out years ago. I have had numerous tests done and a barium swallow a couple years ago showed that my esophagus spasms intermittently causing the backwash of acid and there was also acid reflux lying in the bottom of my esophagus while they were doing the test. I have taken every pill on the market and nothing helps except when I tried Dexilant a couple years ago. It gave me diarrhea so bad that I had to stop taking them but unfortunately it was the only pill that helped at all, go figure. I drink Gaviscon like water, it helps a bit. I am currently on Nexium, but that is not working anymore. I sleep sitting up most nights on 4 pillows. This is just awful to have to suffer like this, I don't know what to eat or drink anymore because everything bothers me. Anyway I am heading back to my general physician tomorrow and see what else we can do to fix this.

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.