Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Experience

Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.

Comment from: missmarilyn71, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

A former posted statement said she had vomiting that lasted for up to 8 hours after eating, and could not even take a sip of water during that episode. I was surprised as I have been having the same reaction for 13 years. My symptoms began after I had a VBG (vertical banded gastroplasty) stomach stapling in 2000. I thought the symptoms, which include extreme burping, were caused by that. I had an endoscopy 3 weeks ago and was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. Since that diagnosis, my symptoms have increased in pain and duration. Some new ones have begun. Constipation that has lasted for up to 5 days, feeling of being choked and Inability to burp or have a bowel movement makes me feel pain and extreme pressure that lasts for hours to days. These are some of the symptoms I am having among others. This is horrible!

Comment from: Audra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had absolutely no heartburn with my hiatal hernia. I had chest pain, shortness of breath, vomiting up food (but no acid or bile with it), nausea after I ate, and pain at the edge of my ribcage on the right side. The first doctor said it was stress. It just kept getting worse, and a friend thought I was having a heart attack. The second doctor I went to ran tests and found the sliding hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux disease. We are treating with Nexium and small (one-fourth to one-half cup size) meals for now. A weight loss regimen is to follow as soon as I heal enough to be off this bland diet. My doctor says while surgery is an option, he is against it and claims it doesn't hold well. I would just have it back again and again.

Comment from: Saltlick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had the gastric lap-band surgery performed two years ago last month. Not until about last November did I start having problems swallowing meats, veggies, and anything with any consistency. My lap-band doctor did X-rays and some kind of swallow test last March and found nothing. He thought I just had too much saline in my band, so he took some out. That didn't help. Last December, I was rushed to the hospital with kidney stones. They took X-rays from the side, something the lap-band doctor never did. They didn't bother to tell me until August that they had found I had a hiatal hernia.

Comment from: FedupinEngland, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

As of today, I have tried many PPIs to no avail. It is worse, as I suffer from reflux badly, 24 hours a day. I also have hiatal hernia that was only found a couple of months ago after several endoscopies. I am 49 years old and I have been suffering for more than 12 years now. My twin sister also suffers the same as me, but she is worse.

Comment from: dj4243, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

Suffered with strong pains to stomach & chest. Thought it was my heart with chest pains. Had gall bladder removed years before & knew it wasn't that, but stomach pain felt just like my gall bladder attacks. Went to Dr. and had an esophageal biopsy & it showed Schatzkis Ring; hiatal hernia & esophagitis. They put me on generic name of "Pantoprazole" after about 3 days, I got my first relief from pain in months.

Comment from: FUSTRATED, Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I feel tired and burp continuously, doctor prescribed Pariet which gives me temporary relief. He was totally against me doing surgery saying that the symptoms are not severe enough to do so and that I could be worse off afterwards.

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.