Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Experience

Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.

Comment from: dinogirlca, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I too suffer terribly with heartburn, acid reflux and was told years ago after endoscopy that I had a hiatal hernia as well. At that time I had H. pylori and severe gastritis. I can go periods of time and not have any problems, but then it will act up and oh goodness, the pain is unbearable in my chest and shoulder blades, sometimes I think I even get anxiety from it all. It feels like food is stuck in my throat and I am constantly burping. I feel it is getting worse as I get older. I had my gall bladder out years ago. I have had numerous tests done and a barium swallow a couple years ago showed that my esophagus spasms intermittently causing the backwash of acid and there was also acid reflux lying in the bottom of my esophagus while they were doing the test. I have taken every pill on the market and nothing helps except when I tried Dexilant a couple years ago. It gave me diarrhea so bad that I had to stop taking them but unfortunately it was the only pill that helped at all, go figure. I drink Gaviscon like water, it helps a bit. I am currently on Nexium, but that is not working anymore. I sleep sitting up most nights on 4 pillows. This is just awful to have to suffer like this, I don't know what to eat or drink anymore because everything bothers me. Anyway I am heading back to my general physician tomorrow and see what else we can do to fix this.

Comment from: JME, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I suffered with GERD for years, went to a seminar, thought I had Barrett's esophagus. I went through all the testing, found out it was a large hiatal hernia. I had the laparoscopy surgery. I must admit I was scared to have the surgery. I am so glad to have had the surgery, I feel great, no more reflux, or sickness. I am in my seventh week after surgery and I feel great! The only pain I had after the surgery was at the five small incisions, which was really not bad. I am very thankful to my doctor, be sure to do your homework and choose the right physician.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I was told I had a large hiatal hernia approximately 6 months ago when I went to the emergency room (ER) with what I thought might be a heart attack. I had severe pains in upper abdomen and chest area. They said my heart is fine and strong. I've been to my primary physician several times, described the pain, and he prescribed upper gastrointestinal series and guess what? It showed a very large hiatal hernia. I am not sure why I went through that because I told him what the hospital said, and provided the results of the chest x-ray and CAT scan to him. Anyway, he wants me to see a gastroenterologist, and then consider surgery if necessary.

Comment from: teapot, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 30

When I have an attack I get terrible pain in my left shoulder. It is not my heart. I have a large hiatal hernia which is twisted as well as the stomach being twisted. I was told to have small meals. I try and watch what I eat and also will have to try having small meals hoping that will help. When I get the pain it is terrible and I am ready to cry.

Comment from: Sarah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I had GERD and a small hiatal hernia diagnosed after a gastroscopy. I have never had heart burn but a never ending cough. My general physician (GP) initially thought it was a lung problem, I went through numerous controlled tests but the cough persisted. Then after no luck with physiotherapy, a light bulb went on with the physiotherapy manager and she recognized my symptoms were like a patient 5 years ago, dug out the file and advised me to get referred to a different specialist. He performed the gastroscopy and diagnosed me. I have since been checked again and after 18 months on Nexium and not having certain foods after midday, I am cured of the GERD and my cough has gone. I still enjoy spicy Asian and Indian food but have cut out after midday all caffeine, all citrus and fresh tomatoes. I take Nexium 40 mg in a morning which was the specialist's advice instead of my doctor's evening advice.

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.