Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Experience

Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.

Comment from: Audra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had absolutely no heartburn with my hiatal hernia. I had chest pain, shortness of breath, vomiting up food (but no acid or bile with it), nausea after I ate, and pain at the edge of my ribcage on the right side. The first doctor said it was stress. It just kept getting worse, and a friend thought I was having a heart attack. The second doctor I went to ran tests and found the sliding hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux disease. We are treating with Nexium and small (one-fourth to one-half cup size) meals for now. A weight loss regimen is to follow as soon as I heal enough to be off this bland diet. My doctor says while surgery is an option, he is against it and claims it doesn't hold well. I would just have it back again and again.

Comment from: Saltlick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had the gastric lap-band surgery performed two years ago last month. Not until about last November did I start having problems swallowing meats, veggies, and anything with any consistency. My lap-band doctor did X-rays and some kind of swallow test last March and found nothing. He thought I just had too much saline in my band, so he took some out. That didn't help. Last December, I was rushed to the hospital with kidney stones. They took X-rays from the side, something the lap-band doctor never did. They didn't bother to tell me until August that they had found I had a hiatal hernia.

Comment from: FedupinEngland, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

As of today, I have tried many PPIs to no avail. It is worse, as I suffer from reflux badly, 24 hours a day. I also have hiatal hernia that was only found a couple of months ago after several endoscopies. I am 49 years old and I have been suffering for more than 12 years now. My twin sister also suffers the same as me, but she is worse.

Comment from: dj4243, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

Suffered with strong pains to stomach & chest. Thought it was my heart with chest pains. Had gall bladder removed years before & knew it wasn't that, but stomach pain felt just like my gall bladder attacks. Went to Dr. and had an esophageal biopsy & it showed Schatzkis Ring; hiatal hernia & esophagitis. They put me on generic name of "Pantoprazole" after about 3 days, I got my first relief from pain in months.

Comment from: sanchezgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I was having heartburn and reflux every time I wanted to burp. Dealt with it for a year and a half. Also had chest pains from time to time and decided to see a cardiologist. Heart was fine so I decided to see a gastrologist. Had a endoscopy done and found out I had a hiatal hernia and GERD and because of the reflux my esophagus was very irritated. I took pills the doctor gave me and they worked from time to time but I still suffer from extreme heartburn. Diet is an issue too because I can't eat anything without getting heartburn. Ask the doctor about repairing it but she said they will wait until I tried every solution. I think it's time for it now!

Comment from: mattmiller, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I sip a warm fluid, (water, tea, coffee), before I begin to eat or drink anything cold. This almost stops the spasm from hiatal hernia happening and I can swallow without the pain. The food then goes down much more easily.

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.