Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Experience

Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.

Comment from: Clueless, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I have had a surgery in February. Since surgery I have been nauseous and it is making me fatigued. I have been to 3 different doctors, and had many tests. I do have a medium size hiatal hernia in stomach which stomach doctor does not believe is the issue but it is dyspepsia. I am going for a second opinion. I have never had indigestion and can't understand how all of a sudden it happens after a surgery. I just want to feel better and not nauseated all the time. I read that hernia can be a symptom of dyspepsia so I would think the doctor would want to fix the hernia. I am confused and tired.

Comment from: koalaroo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I'm in Australia and had laparoscopic surgery for two hiatal hernias 2 weeks ago. The top half of my stomach was trapped in my chest cavity, causing much vomiting and chest pain. I went to emergency 3 times, the first time, they immediately found gallstones so I had the surgery. No better with the pain and vomiting. I had a barium meal x-ray which showed how serious the hernia was and I had the surgery. Now, 2 weeks later, not a sign of nausea, I am getting stronger every day, and sticking to my pureed diet which gives things time to heal. I am very pleased so far, and realize I will have to change my lifestyle. Smaller meals, and no heavy lifting. I find I get a little indigestion if I eat too much now. Someone mentioned pain in the left shoulder after the surgery. Mine was excruciating, and it is referred pain from trapped gas in the chest cavity from the surgery. It goes away. Best luck to everyone, sometimes the surgery is the only option.

Comment from: StephMarie8379, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after an endoscopy. I have horrible GERD and chest pain. Also every time I eat I get short of breath and my stomach and chest hurts. It is getting to the point that it is unbearable.

Comment from: abdullah, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after an endoscopy. I have unbelievable chest pain with GERD. I do not like going to bed when I eat. I do not eat chocolate, ice cream, and citrus food, still have chest pain every time. I took chest x-ray and echo and it is fine. The doctor said it is a small hiatal hernia so he won't do surgery, so I want to die.

Comment from: rtfaxe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after an endoscopy. Heartburn drugs were not working and I had a feeling something was in my throat all the time. I saw a naturopath, improved my diet, no tomato products, no caffeine, no chocolate, no alcohol and my symptoms improved to the point that I rarely have heartburn. I do not take any medications but I eat small meals, never exercise within two hours of eating, and raised my bed 8 inches by putting a slat on the bed frame. Benefits from this include weight loss, improved energy and reduced anxiety because it doesn't feel like I am dying. One has to be diligent with their diet and then your chances of success are way higher. Life is good, I don't mind making the changes to have way more energy and improved health. Good luck people, I hope you find something that works for you.

Comment from: Mrs. Saleh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and GERD about 8 years ago. When I ate it felt like there was something in my throat blocking my air passage, like my throat was closing. I couldn't eat but maybe a bite, sometimes two, before I would have to run to the bathroom to throw up. This went on for over a year along with the intense pain in my stomach that I still deal with. However, instead of having this pain every day, several times a day, I now only experience it about two to four times a month. The reason for this is because my mother told me of some exercises to do to help the stomach turn right side in. Also she told me of cold milk or water. Drinking one of these gives instant relief from this crippling pain. To do the exercises, simply stand up, raising arms in the air and lifting up and down from your toes 15 times. The other is raising your arms over your head and breathing in and out, like you are doing Lamaze for child birth, for 15 seconds. I hope these help, like they did me.

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.