Patient Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Experience

Please share your experience with hiatal hernia.

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had my hiatal hernia surgery done back in October 2016. I was free of acid reflux and heart burn for about 3 months. This surgery did not take, and I am having the acid reflux and heart burn again. My doctor had to go back in and stretch my esophagus. I am now a candidate of acid reflux back. I have had many registered nurses tell me this surgery was not worth it and does not work.

Comment from: Clueless, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I have had a surgery in February. Since surgery I have been nauseous and it is making me fatigued. I have been to 3 different doctors, and had many tests. I do have a medium size hiatal hernia in stomach which stomach doctor does not believe is the issue but it is dyspepsia. I am going for a second opinion. I have never had indigestion and can't understand how all of a sudden it happens after a surgery. I just want to feel better and not nauseated all the time. I read that hernia can be a symptom of dyspepsia so I would think the doctor would want to fix the hernia. I am confused and tired.

Comment from: koalaroo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I'm in Australia and had laparoscopic surgery for two hiatal hernias 2 weeks ago. The top half of my stomach was trapped in my chest cavity, causing much vomiting and chest pain. I went to emergency 3 times, the first time, they immediately found gallstones so I had the surgery. No better with the pain and vomiting. I had a barium meal x-ray which showed how serious the hernia was and I had the surgery. Now, 2 weeks later, not a sign of nausea, I am getting stronger every day, and sticking to my pureed diet which gives things time to heal. I am very pleased so far, and realize I will have to change my lifestyle. Smaller meals, and no heavy lifting. I find I get a little indigestion if I eat too much now. Someone mentioned pain in the left shoulder after the surgery. Mine was excruciating, and it is referred pain from trapped gas in the chest cavity from the surgery. It goes away. Best luck to everyone, sometimes the surgery is the only option.

Comment from: StephMarie8379, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after an endoscopy. I have horrible GERD and chest pain. Also every time I eat I get short of breath and my stomach and chest hurts. It is getting to the point that it is unbearable.

Comment from: abdullah, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after an endoscopy. I have unbelievable chest pain with GERD. I do not like going to bed when I eat. I do not eat chocolate, ice cream, and citrus food, still have chest pain every time. I took chest x-ray and echo and it is fine. The doctor said it is a small hiatal hernia so he won't do surgery, so I want to die.

Comment from: glowjoe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I just am post-operation three weeks from hiatal hernia repair. My whole stomach was above my diaphragm. I can breathe now, and I have hardly any mucus anymore. My doctor and the whole nursing team are working together and I believe are great. I just wish they had diagnosed me correctly, they were telling me I had COPD when I never smoked a day in my life. And your family doctor does not understand the amount of pain that goes along with a stomach stuck in your chest.

Comment from: Suffering, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had open [thoracic} surgery 10 years ago. I had a rib removed too. I still have hiatal hernia and still have pain. I have had a nerve block, various medications, and a TENS unit. Nothing helps. I would like to have some relief from this pain.

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have you experienced with hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for hiatal hernia/
Hiatal Hernia - Medications Question: What medications have been helpful in controlling symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Lifestyle Changes Question: What lifestyle changes have you made that have improved symptoms of hiatal hernia?
Hiatal Hernia - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with hiatal hernia surgery.
Hiatal Hernia - Type Question: Please describe your experience with sliding hiatal hernia.