Patient Comments: Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with herpes simplex infections (cold sores, non-genital).

Comment from: Sufferer1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

Has anyone ever tried Red Panax ginseng with Echinacea for herpes simplex? I have had cold sores since I was a child. I used to have them one after the other. One would heal and another would be right behind it. When I got married, I started using herbal remedies and chanced on these two. It took a while but I persisted taking these tow herbs every day. The persistent sores gradually disappeared and came less often than all the time. My mother had them all her life. Now I am 60 years old and they appear once a year or two, and very much less severe. I am here today because I have a flair up. My previous incident was March 2013.

Comment from: ColdsoresBeGone, 25-34 (Patient) Published: January 08

I have gotten cold sores as long as I can remember. Lately, they have evolved to breaking out on my skin, not touching my lips at all. I have tried ice, Abreva and every other over the counter drug available in Canada, with no avail. I actually think Abreva makes it worse. Ice does nothing for me - the outbreak moves to a spot that isn't frozen, and ultimately I think it makes it worse in the end too. I have no family doctor, and no health insurance, so I'm really hoping I get a good walk in clinic doctor that can prescribe me Valtrex, and that I can afford it. I've heard really good things about it!

Comment from: soremouth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was given a high blood pressure medicine that contained trace amounts of sulfa which I did not know. I am terribly allergic to sulfa. I have suffered from herpes on my lips throughout my life but never terrible and only once in a while. But I took this medicine for 7 days; stupid of me not to equate it with my lips suddenly being covered in sores. Well, I have had the entire inside of my mouth, gums and cheeks with open gooey herpes sores for a year and 3 weeks. I have been taking acyclovir for 3 months with no change. I absolutely cannot take this pain much longer. I've tried everything. Evidently the sulfa triggered an allergic reaction that made my herpes go crazy. I take a sleeping pill as early as is possible so I can get out of this pain. Lidocaine or Anbesol is my only relief.

Comment from: Allen, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I got sick with herpes simplex infection last Friday and had to go to the emergency room with temperature at 102.3 and throat swollen. I couldn't eat much, I was sleeping a lot and sweating a lot. I got two bags of IV and out of nowhere I got canker sores in my mouth, not to mention my gums swelled up too.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

There is a very simple and cheap cure for cold sores. Go to the grocery store and look for powdered alum. It's used for canning fruit and can be found with the spices. If for example you have a cold sore on the inside of your lip, put a pinch of powder directly on the cold sore and keep it there as long as you can stand it. Hold your lip against your gum to trap the alum and keep it on the sore as long as you can. The taste is terrible and it feels like it's burning but it isn't burning, it's drying out the cold sore. Don't swallow during this process although the alum certainly isn't harmful. After a few minutes rinse out your mouth. This is an old Kentucky cure and it works.

Comment from: southerngirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I'm 50 and have suffered with fever blisters/cold sores all my life and have school pictures to prove it. My worst breakout was about 30 years ago when I had to avoid all types of light, inside and out. Famvir and Abreva have helped and hopefully someday a cure or quicker recovery will be found. No one else in my family has ever had them.

Comment from: lindylou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I have been suffering with the herpes virus now for 20 plus years. It started suddenly and I have never really known why. I never get any warning except for a painful aching arm. I am today experiencing the onset with incredible pain and when I get home I will apply ice as it does appear to help. It usually runs its course for about four weeks in total.

Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your cold sores?
Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Symptoms Question: What were your cold sore symptoms?
Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the symptoms and events that resulted in a doctor's diagnosis of a herpes simplex infection.