Patient Comments: Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with herpes simplex infections (cold sores, non-genital).

Published: June 09

I have been getting cold sores for the last 15 years. It's so uncomfortable and embarrassed people look at you like you have STD.

Published: May 29

I have been getting cold sores on my lips for the past five or six years. I get them about three times a year, usually when the weather is changing. Otherwise I get them from too much sun exposure or even as an alternative of a cold. Either way, they are big and very hard to cover up. They take about a week to go away, and I have found that the best medication is Abreva.

Published: July 29

I have suffered with cold sores my entire life and only when I get a bad cold. Always starts in the same place, right under my right nostril toward my top lip. This time, however, it is gross and lasting longer than it ever did before. I put concealer on so I can go out and not have people stare. I'm on my second week. My mom always got them, so I guess I got it from her. None of my children ever had them, thank goodness. Abreva does not work and I use it immediately when I feel the tingle.

Published: July 28

I just recently developed what I called a cold sore, but my clinical instructor told me that it is a form of herpes which from this webpage seems to be true. In my days from working in the ER, when someone came in and was diagnosed with Herpes it was referred to as "a friend for life". Is that what I have? Did I get this from sex?

Published: July 28

Very painful and embarrassing. I have the HSV type 1 and I get it on my lips. When I get it I try to go nowhere. Just stay home, relax and treat it with cloth or cotton soaked in warm coconut oil. It helps me relieve the pain a bit.

Published: July 08

I never had cold sores until a month ago, and so far, in less than 30 days, I have had an outbreak three times. At first, I just thought that I had bit my tongue, but now my tongue is huge. It hurts to drink anything that is extremely cold. It has also spread to one of my cheeks and my gums have a purple tint to them.

Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your cold sores?
Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Symptoms Question: What were your cold sore symptoms?
Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the symptoms and events that resulted in a doctor's diagnosis of a herpes simplex infection.