Patient Comments: Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with herpes simplex infections (cold sores, non-genital).

Published: June 17

I've had cold sores since I was a kid. As both my parents had them, I'm sure that's the source. I'm susceptible when the seasons change. Otherwise, I have no idea why they show up. I woke up today with three on my upper lip. As the blisters are so large, I think I am hurrying the process by popping the blisters with a sterilized needle. Then with a cotton ball, I press rubbing alcohol for about a half hour thinking I am hastening the drying process. Then I slather it with Abreva. I carefully apply long-lasting lipstick, which covers it but I have bumpy lips anyway. For the rest of the day, I try to really ignore it if I can. Then at night I apply the alcohol and Abreva. I don't know if the Abreva hastens the healing, but it helps with the pain. They can be so painful. I don't know which is worse the pain or the way it looks. Double whammy.

Published: June 17

I had cold sores on my lips for years. I started taking table salt and water in a small cup and heating it in the microwave until it had the consistency of very wet sand. I then put the warm liquid salt on my lip with a q-tip and let it dry into a crust. I repeated this as often as time allowed. I found that if I put it on at first tingle, then the sore never fully came up. I haven't had a visible cold sore in eight years.

Published: June 11

I've had fever blisters since I was six, and for the most part, they usually pop up right before my period or if I have gotten too much sun. I hate them, they are unsightly and when they scab over, it's tough to even eat a sandwich without grossing out everyone

Published: June 11

I've woken up with a huge fat lip today, I'm sick of cold sores I don't know about anyone else but my self esteem just disappears and all I want to do is just hide away! I'm trying to find an effective quick way to bring down the swelling as I look like I've gone 10 rounds in a boxing match. I'm so confused by all these miracle treatments which say they can get rid of the awful things in 24 hours and daft enough to pay.

Published: June 09

I have been getting cold sores for the last 15 years. It's so uncomfortable and embarrassed people look at you like you have STD.

Published: May 29

I have been getting cold sores on my lips for the past five or six years. I get them about three times a year, usually when the weather is changing. Otherwise I get them from too much sun exposure or even as an alternative of a cold. Either way, they are big and very hard to cover up. They take about a week to go away, and I have found that the best medication is Abreva.

Published: July 29

I have suffered with cold sores my entire life and only when I get a bad cold. Always starts in the same place, right under my right nostril toward my top lip. This time, however, it is gross and lasting longer than it ever did before. I put concealer on so I can go out and not have people stare. I'm on my second week. My mom always got them, so I guess I got it from her. None of my children ever had them, thank goodness. Abreva does not work and I use it immediately when I feel the tingle.

Published: July 28

I just recently developed what I called a cold sore, but my clinical instructor told me that it is a form of herpes which from this webpage seems to be true. In my days from working in the ER, when someone came in and was diagnosed with Herpes it was referred to as "a friend for life". Is that what I have? Did I get this from sex?

Published: July 28

Very painful and embarrassing. I have the HSV type 1 and I get it on my lips. When I get it I try to go nowhere. Just stay home, relax and treat it with cloth or cotton soaked in warm coconut oil. It helps me relieve the pain a bit.

Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your cold sores?
Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Symptoms Question: What were your cold sore symptoms?
Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the symptoms and events that resulted in a doctor's diagnosis of a herpes simplex infection.