Patient Comments: Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with herpes simplex infections (cold sores, non-genital).

Published: July 09

I got a single cold sore on my chin almost a year ago. It just wouldn't go away. I finally went to a doc. who diagnosed it as HSV-1. She gave me Acyclovir which worked wonders! Now I usually apply an acyclovir cream whenever I get a cold sore, which helps it go away. The worst episode I experienced was after a picnic and too much of sun. So advice to all the people out there who have HSV-1. Stay Away From The Sun.

Published: July 01

Three weeks after having the flu, sores on the inside of my mouth, gums and cheeks appeared. I usually only get one at a time, several times a year. They are quite painful now, after coming up about five days ago. Sometimes I find that if I take an amino acid (like L-Lysine) for a few days, it makes them go away faster.

Published: July 01

Two days ago I woke up to small blisters all over my upper lip. I have a couple small ones in the left corner, one on the right corner, and then a large blister-looking sore right in the middle of my upper lip. There is fairly severe burning with all of them. My bottom lip is really chapped and also uncomfortable, but not painful like the upper lip. I used to get impetigo following my cold sores, so I will probably go in today to make sure it hasn't gotten to that stage. Because the sores are not localized in one spot, I'm a bit concerned that something else might be going on. I have never found anything over the counter to help- probably because I tend to wait too long to start treatment.

Published: June 30

I get them in clusters either across my nose and chin. Usually on my chin, but when I get them on my nose it's the worst, I look like Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer and it's unbelievably itchy. It's so embarassing to go out, people always stare. I get at least one a month. I just want them to hurry up and find a good treatment for these things, not creams that you have to apply 6 times a day and only sometimes work. As yet I haven't found any good solution for them.

Published: June 30

I have suffered with fever blisters since childhood. Started getting a flu shot every year and Valtrex and the prescription cream to use as soon as I felt any tingling or sometimes it is just my lips feeling dry or wind burned the day before. But that has helped amazingly to keep from me actually blistering up. Before the flu shots I used to have them move up under and into my nose and sinus area and it was so painful, ugly and I guess dangerous. I rarely get them anymore unless flu serum comes out later than usual..

Published: June 30

Typically I have a coldsore every so often after being in the sun, but it is always in the corners of my mouth, they hurt for a while, but go away after a while. But this is the first time in my life that I have had such a horrible cold sore this one started as an innocent little bump and then a few days later grew like a wildfire and spread like one too. It is in the center of my top lip, it made my entire front lip swollen. I went to the doctor after the next day it spread to underneath my lip. He gave me Valtrex, which I thought worked great cause it was bring down the swelling, but all the little sores that would have popped out are now just tearing up my lip with the skin infected underneath and those little bumps then spread to my bottom lip, so I have a top lip that is swollen, and around my lips looks like an infection or something, and I have the sores on the bottom. They hurt so bad that I can't even talk right now. I'm just wondering if it is ever going to get better? I feel so alone, and ugly and so bad that I haven't left my house in 2 days cause I feel so hideous. Does any one else feel the way I do, or has had as bad of cold sores like this?

Published: June 26

I am currently dealing with a nasty cold sore on the skin between my nose and upper lip. Lately it seems like when one goes away, another one pops up (just gotten over one in the middle of my top lip). I've dealt with these nasty things my whole life, and I'm sick of it! My dentist recommended Zilactin- which works, but turns the sore brown, as if it couldn't get any uglier. I also just filled a prescription for Valtrex- which hadn't met my deductible and cost over $200!! (as if I wasn't already stressed) BUT- I am desperate and so far Valtrex is the only thing that I can consider a cure. The trick is to pop one ASAP once you feel an outbreak. Sometimes an ice pack on the initial tingly area helps too. Does anyone else out there feel like they have a fever when they get an outbreak or is it just me?

Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your cold sores?
Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were your cold sore symptoms and signs?
Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the symptoms and events that resulted in a doctor's diagnosis of a herpes simplex infection.