Patient Comments: Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with herpes simplex infections (cold sores, non-genital).

Comment from: Mags, 45-54 Female Published: August 11

I was in my mid twenties when I first felt an itchy spot in the middle of my chin. I had no idea it would turn into a big ugly sore. Since then, I have been getting these things on and off for 25 years. They're always on my bottom lip or chin or both. There are two main causes. One is the sun, which is just fabulous when you are on vacation. The other one is stress, which is just what you need when you are starting a new job. I notice that I feel a bit run down at the time they occur. If I can zap it with Zovirax as soon as I feel that first little itch, then I can normally contain the severity of the attack.

Comment from: jay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have 2 recurring sores or blisters in the same spot on my buttock. It is round and red with 4 little blisters within and about the size of a nickel. It appears quickly (2-3 times a year) and takes a week or two to heal. It is always in the exact same spot, nowhere near genital area but always on the fatty part of the buttock cheek.

Comment from: ochepek, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 08

I get rid of cold sores by applying ice. Take an ice cube and hold it directly on the sore. After a few minutes, the area will go numb. Continue to hold the ice there for 15 minutes or so. Do this 3-4 times a day. The next time you get an outbreak in that area, I've found it will be a much less severe and milder outbreak. The virus is very temperature sensitive and will die and not replicate as much. Some people also use hot Listerine packs (gauze soaked with warm Listerine) but you run the risk of burning yourself. Be sure to have a washcloth or towel wrapped around the chunk of ice. This method has worked wonders for me for several years.

Comment from: thistooshallpass, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have had cold sores since I was about 12 years old. It would always be on my upper lip. But this year, I had the worst ever when my husband was down with chickenpox. Also, the frequency of the cold sores has increased to three times already this year. The worst part is that it's not just my lip but on my left breast too. I feel so cheated; it's as if the lips weren't bad enough!

Published: July 23

I would suffer from cold sores for years, always one week before my period, every month. I would also break out if I was under more stress than usual. I would get all the usual symptoms of burning, itching, and throbbing pain. Also, I would feel like I was coming down with the flu - very tired & achy joints. Sometimes my lymph nodes in my arm pits & under my chin would hurt as well. My doctor put me on Valtrex which worked perfectly for me, stopping the progression of the cold sores in their track, saving me from the blistering & unsightly scabbing. Since I entered menopause, I don't suffer from cold sores or the accompanying symptoms anymore!

Published: July 14

About five days ago, I noticed that my lips were a little swollen and very dry. Since I am in my fifties and never have had herpes, I didn't have any idea what was coming. First the large cold sore on the upper lip, which caused even more swelling. Then the bottom lip. And now I have them all over my face--my left cheek and forehead are completely covered and now they are showing up on my chest and arm--because I probably spread it before I realized what was happening. I look hideous and it burns. I just went on Acyclovir yesterday, so I'm hoping it's not too late to help me.

Published: July 09

I got a single cold sore on my chin almost a year ago. It just wouldn't go away. I finally went to a doc. who diagnosed it as HSV-1. She gave me Acyclovir which worked wonders! Now I usually apply an acyclovir cream whenever I get a cold sore, which helps it go away. The worst episode I experienced was after a picnic and too much of sun. So advice to all the people out there who have HSV-1. Stay Away From The Sun.

Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your cold sores?
Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Symptoms Question: What were your cold sore symptoms?
Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the symptoms and events that resulted in a doctor's diagnosis of a herpes simplex infection.