Patient Comments: Herpangina - Symptoms

What were your child's symptoms for herpangina?

Comment from: someones dad, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My son was feeling great on Friday. We went out to dinner and he had quite an appetite. After dinner we went to the park, then had movie night, he was so excited and full of energy the whole time. The next morning (Saturday) he woke up crying (very rare) and had a fever of 103-104. He was lethargic and had very little to no appetite. He was very cranky and moody and had difficulty sleeping and excessive drooling. We watched through Sunday and he got worse with still a high fever, and we offered him popsicles and gave him lukewarm baths. He still did not want to eat. Finally took him to the doctor on Monday morning and they looked in the back of his throat and confirmed it was herpangina. He got it from his daycare. There was a notice sent to parents that the room next door to his had a confirmed case of (mild) Coxsackie virus. I bet the fact that it's just in the mouth is why it is herpangina. I did not notice any sores or bumps on his hands or feet or outside of his mouth. However there are bumps now on his elbow.

Comment from: Waterpolo mom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My son had high fever of 102.5 C and severe headache that woke him up from sleep. His throat started to show white little blisters and red dots next day. We took him to the doctor"s suspecting strep throat but the test came back as negative. As for where he got this herpangina, I am suspecting the swimming pool that he spent 4 hours a day.

Comment from: ConcernMom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My son had all symptoms of herpangina. He started off with a high fever of 103.7. After the fever broke the following day, his throat began to hurt. I took him to the doctor and the doctor stated there were blisters in the back of my son's throat. He is going on his fourth day of a sore throat. He eats very little and feels much better when eating popsicle.

Comment from: motomom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 09

My son started out with just fever (102.7) and cold symptoms. His throat became sore by the 3rd day. I thought he had strep throat and took him to the doctor when the herpangina sore was found. He was lucky in that he only got one sore. I have heard of cases where the child had a much higher temperature and multiple sores. It took about 12 to 14 days for all symptoms to disappear.

Comment from: SHARDAE23, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My son had all the symptoms: high fevers and sores at the back of his throat. He didn't want to do anything but drink fluids and sleep. He didn't eat much or do physical activity.

Comment from: Nyatengo, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My child had a high fever around 39 C (102.2).

Herpangina - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to your child being diagnosed with herpangina.
Herpangina - Treatment Question: What treatment or medications did your child receive for herpangina?