Patient Comments: Herniated Disc - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a herniated disc?

Published: November 19

I am a 44 year old woman and I don't know what to do about my pain anymore. I had a spinal fusion in 2010 which included bone grafts and a metal plate and screws at c-4,5,6,7. Now I see ads on TV regarding bone grafts and serious side effects. I also have herniated disks in between T-4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12. I also have issues in the lumbar spine. I have degenerative disc disease and I go to a pain clinic. I currently take Norco as well as Fentanyl patches. I still have pain but I have to work and am the only one supporting three other people, my husband and two kids. I need some advice. I can only imagine my pain status as I get older.

Comment from: intheblue, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I am a 24 year old female, I am young for a herniated disc, well, that is what the hospital has said from an x-ray. I am in the military and I am on the 4th week of the severe pain, loss of feeling, numbness, and pins and needles in my legs. I wonder if I should get an MRI. I don't feel like I am getting better. The pain is constant regardless of what I do. Me being in the military, perhaps the pain will keep returning (if I was to get better). I am so worried, I need help as I don't feel like I'm getting the answers here.

Comment from: quattro, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I too had a herniated disc in my neck and my doctor dismissed it as pulled muscles. I suffered for 8 months in agony with the pain never less than a score of 7 but often 9 or 10. In the end a friend bullied my doctor into referring me and I had my disc removed and my spine fused within two weeks. The relief was instant and after 3 months it was perfect. I have a slight loss in sideways neck mobility but I can't thank the surgeon enough. Unless you have experienced it you cannot appreciate the relentless pain. I sympathize and you should insist on a MRI scan ASAP, good luck.

Comment from: annabanananose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

Hang in there! My disc was ruptured and the pain so great all I could do was scream! A trip to the ER, Emergency surgery and I woke up after the IV meds wore off in almost as much pain as I had before. As my surgeon advised me there is no 100% in any surgery, there's always a small failure rate, and I'm it. It is nerve damage, that does not show on X-rays, CTs, or MRIs!!! You have to be persistent and try other doctors, sounds like you should go to a pain management specialist!! (Some of those are quacks too, so be careful). But they can help you deal with nerve damage pain, that cannot be seen or diagnosed except by your word. And you'll probably have some pain, but you can live a better life! Keep trying doctors until you find someone you click with, you may still wake up w a 10 on the pain scale but you'll also wake up a lot of days w a 0 :). Don't give up!! Hope this helps.

Comment from: Kela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I got into a car accident two years ago. And I injured my lower back, however the pain is still there and it's getting very unbearable. I've used pain medication, topical cream, Ibuprofen 800mg, walking, heat, ice, etc. You name it I've tried it and now I'm at the point where I am always in tears and can't do anything much anymore. I really don't know what to explain to my doctor so that he can refer me to an orthopedic surgeon. And the kicker is my herniated disk is not that bad, on the MRI however I can't understand why so much pain.

Comment from: John, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I get up 3 to 5 times a night due to enlarged prostate. I used Urinozinc for 6 weeks and followed that with 6 weeks using Super Beta Prostate. I took one pill twice a day as prescribed. Neither medicine helped one iota. Since all these medicines have essentially the same ingredients, I can only assume they are all a scam.

Comment from: eng bantee khan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

About 2 years ago I was playing soccer and suddenly my ankle just dislocated during the match. The problem is it is always swelling and I feel pain in my ankle. I was taking medicine from that day but the medicine doesn't work at all. I saw many doctors around here but I don't know why it is not working. I am in a real trouble.

Herniated Disc - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your herniated disc?
Herniated Disc - Diagnosis Question: How was your herniated disc diagnosed?