Patient Comments: Hernia - Causes

Do you know what caused your hernia?

Comment from: Dean, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I have found that I have a small umbilical hernia. This was caused from coughing from pneumonia that I had 2 months ago. I pulled a lower abdomen muscle but just found out that I also have a small umbilical hernia. It is not outward projecting but it projects out on the side of my belly button.

Comment from: patty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had my first surgery for a perforated ulcer on 7-3-2012 and was in the hospital for 77 days and I ended up with a surgical hernia. I had my second surgery on 3-19-2013 for hernia repair and during the cleanup of scar tissue they opened up my ulcer not knowing they did. I had mesh in there to help hold everything in. Well, 3 days after surgery I had a huge infection and it melted or destroyed my muscles. I had the 3rd surgery on 1-23-2014 and they took out my gall bladder during surgery repair but also had to take 25 percent of my stomach and 25 percent of my intestines so now I have a huge hernia and will have one for the rest of my life. Be very careful of the mesh sometimes you will get an infection and end up like me. It is very hard to bend over and real hard to find clothes as to me I look like I am 12 months pregnant so please be careful with this kind of surgery.

Comment from: GHardy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had an appendectomy in February this year, 2015. I got an infection at the belly button area, that's when I first noticed the knot. The doctor said that was from infection, and will go away! I had to move during this time, so never really rested! Boom, it is now June, and the hernia is huge!

Comment from: lulu, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had an emergency C-section 54 years ago, then another C-section, and then another incision from umbilicus to groin for a perforated colon and sepsis. Now I have had four protruding hernias in lower groin area that protrude, gurgle and occasionally enlarge a protruding stomach which resists diet and exercise. I am 5"4, 150 lbs. Scheduled once to have the mesh implant to hold these portions of the stomach in place and lift the urethra but not confident of the success of these procedure.

Comment from: Lmdudddy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have not been diagnosed with hernia yet but it makes sense. I had pneumonia and coughed it out. I also have a problem when I lie down. I do not have spasms but it hurts.

Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have when you had a hernia?
Hernia - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to repair your hernia? What was that like?
Hernia - Types Question: What type of hernia did you have?