Patient Comments: Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia? What was that like?

Comment from: genie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had surgery to repair my hernia two weeks ago, and it was same day surgery. I agree with the other patient, it really needs to be overnight and you must have someone to help you at home. The pain is intense. I have had over 10 surgeries and this is by far the longest and hardest recovery I have had to deal with. Just be prepared and when they tell you 4 to 6 weeks recovery, know that you will need that long for sure.

Comment from: olive07, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I had surgery for hernia repair 3 days ago. I got to the hospital at 7:00 AM and was home by noon. I took some pain killers the first day and was out walking the dog today.

Comment from: mina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had the surgery on March 25th and it was a day surgery when they should have kept me overnight. Anyway the pain was so much and thank goodness that I had help because for someone who doesn"t, it will be very difficult getting up and moving about.

Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have when you had a hernia?
Hernia - Types Question: What type of hernia did you have?
Hernia - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your hernia?