Patient Comments: Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia? What was that like?

Comment from: Toki, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I had double sided laparoscopic surgery to repair my hernia, as an outpatient. In at 11 am, out at 2pm, and walking the same day. The pain is 7 on a scale of 10, tolerable for me. I had Norco prescribed for pain, a good idea, but causes constipation. I eat a prune and apricot concoction to counter the constipation, and drink a lot of water.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

It was and still is horrible. In 1999 I had a tumor removed from my colon and not long after, I got hernia. After years of having it I just couldn't take the pain any more. The doctor said I would have to have a colonoscopy, here we go again! I had it done and ended up having emergency surgery again. They corrected my hernia while they were in there. I have been in horrible pain since and that was in 2009.

Comment from: Patty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had my first surgery in July 2012 for a perforated hernia, after I ended up getting a hernia. I went to 4 different doctors and they didn't know what it was, and finally I had it removed in March of 2013. It got infected, and they put mesh in to reinforce my muscles because of the surgery. Now I have no muscles left so I have a huge hernia protruding out of my stomach. I had to throw out all my clothes and now have to wear clothes that are gathered. I hate it but there is nothing I can do. Plus I almost died, the doctors said I am a miracle.

Comment from: PhilJacobsen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I had surgery to repair hernia 3 days now and have been researching a couple of different treatments to help me heal faster. I was in some pretty big pain the first day, but I have been using an abdominal brace fairly religiously. The pain really went down yesterday and today, and I think the brace is helping! Just wanted to spread the good word and maybe help someone else out!

Comment from: Gg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had surgery to repair hernia in March 13. I was in hospital for 6 days. It was very painful and I still experience pain getting in and out of bed. I had 3 previous colon resection surgeries, this hernia repair is worst of all.

Comment from: genie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had surgery to repair my hernia two weeks ago, and it was same day surgery. I agree with the other patient, it really needs to be overnight and you must have someone to help you at home. The pain is intense. I have had over 10 surgeries and this is by far the longest and hardest recovery I have had to deal with. Just be prepared and when they tell you 4 to 6 weeks recovery, know that you will need that long for sure.

Comment from: olive07, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I had surgery for hernia repair 3 days ago. I got to the hospital at 7:00 AM and was home by noon. I took some pain killers the first day and was out walking the dog today.

Comment from: mina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had the surgery on March 25th and it was a day surgery when they should have kept me overnight. Anyway the pain was so much and thank goodness that I had help because for someone who doesn"t, it will be very difficult getting up and moving about.

Hernia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have when you had a hernia?
Hernia - Types Question: What type of hernia did you have?
Hernia - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your hernia?