Patient Comments: Hernia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have when you had a hernia?

Comment from: Mindful1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had Roux-En-Y gastric bypass on 6th December, 2010. M gallbladder was removed on 1st October 2013. Hiatal hernia was repaired on 30th April 2014. My weight before gastric bypass was 248 pounds and currently 110 pounds; total weight lost was 138 pounds. Height is 5"3", a small frame. Currently I have fibromyalgia, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), narcolepsy, hypothyroidism, and anemia. Progesterone replacement therapy used to correct lack of progesterone. Symptoms of hiatal hernia are nausea, sudden extreme pain in area above right hip, front of abdomen, and lower back, difficulty breathing, inability to lie on my back or stand upright.

Comment from: sterling259, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

The only symptom of hernia that I had was a fullness feeling in my pelvic region.

Comment from: munir, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

Because of hernia I feel pain in the left side near abdomen while I walk.

Comment from: karla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a bulge in the belly. I felt it, it makes a squishy vibrating sound when I pressed it gently. The doctor will diagnose it and send you to a specialist who will then send you for laparoscopic surgery.

Comment from: Eric, 25-34 (Patient) Published: March 19

My intestine was protruding into the canal, sometimes off; especially when I sleep or wake up from bed. I had surgery on the right side when I was young and then on the left.

Hernia - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery to repair your hernia? What was that like?
Hernia - Types Question: What type of hernia did you have?
Hernia - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your hernia?