Patient Comments: Hepatitis C - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hepatitis C?

Comment from: Don P, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I contracted hepatitis C in the late seventies from IV drug use. I was diagnosed in 1995. I have experienced a lot of symptoms including fatigue, headaches, recurring infections (mostly sinus) and worse allergy symptoms. When I first got sick my immune system really went off the rails. I had gum problems, infections under my arms and polyps in my ears. When I got clean in 1987 I was limited to 4 to 6 hours a day. I could not work. I elected not to do the treatment because of several reasons, chief of which was I am into alternative medicine. After many years of research and therapy I work full time and feel good most of the time. My liver enzymes are close to normal and I am still in stage 1 liver disease. This is a potentially fatal illness and I think we should ponder treatment decisions carefully. There are other options out there that your doctors aren"t going to tell you about because they are uneducated in supplements, herbs and other alternative forms of treatment. Check for yourself, it"s your body! Thank goodness I am still alive and clean. Good luck to everyone who suffers from this illness.

Comment from: karmatrue, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I tested reactive for hepatitis C in 2006. I experienced no symptoms since then. When retested in December of 2013, I was told by the doctor that I was positive for the antibodies, but negative for the virus. No one has definitively explained this to me. I wonder if it is because of the quantitative parameters of the test. All my liver enzymes, etc. are in the normal ranges.

Comment from: pauline, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed in 2000 while pregnant with my 2nd child. I was probably infected back in the late 70s from IVDU (intravenous drug user). I was told by my family doctor to wait for treatment since I was relatively healthy so I did treatment in 2011 with a study drug along with interferon and ribavirin. It was big mistake. After 6 months of pure hell the virus came back along with chronic pain and fatigue. Genotype 1a is not easy to destroy. My symptoms are fatigue, muscle and joint pain, insomnia, headache, brain fog and diminished cognitive skills. Any kind of stress shuts me down with pain and inability to cope.

Comment from: Sleepy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C (HCV) over a decade ago. I have terrible sores on my lower legs and developed an itch that consumed my whole body, little bumps from my head to my toes. I was scared and felt like nobody wanted to be near me, (that was just my paranoid thinking) and became very depressed. I have had two years of interferon (non-peg and pegulated) and have been doing well since. I became a diabetic, which happens to some with HCV and now have to deal with that plus I believe that the new COPD I have is caused by my weakened health, but I did smoke.

Comment from: bigsmitty, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I was diagnosed with non-A non-B hepatitis in 1980 they didn"t call it hepatitis C back then. I took the interferon treatments in 2003. I"ve been living with hepatitis C for 34 years. The treatments didn"t work. I have no symptoms that bother me at all, I have a very high count in my blood stream. I lift weights and run 5k races and stay pretty active all day.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I contracted Hepatitis C from a health care worker 1-1/2 years ago. I am tired all the time. I have stomach pains. Feel shortness of breath often. I have a metallic taste in my mouth all the time. I am afraid family might get it, although I've been told that it has to be blood-to-blood contact. I still feel like I am harboring a dangerous monster.

Hepatitis C - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests did you have to diagnose your hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment Question: What methods of treatment, including medication, have you received for your hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment Side Effects Experience Question: Describe the side effects associated with treatment for your hepatitis C.