Patient Comments: Hepatitis C - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hepatitis C?

Comment from: Vinay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I purchased buttermilk from a nearby shop at 17: 00 and my family which includes my wife and son ate it with salad. I (and my son) had nausea next morning with vomiting at 10:30 hours. We thought it will be cured with time but we had vomiting in the evening and night. It took almost 4 days to cure the food positioning with medications like IV treatment.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

It was December 20th and I came home from Christmas shopping. I told my husband I had an earache and was going to bed. By the next morning he found me unresponsive and sideways on the bed. By the time the paramedics arrived they found me with 103 temperature and could not wake me and my blood pressure was dangerously high. I woke up on December 23rd with a PICC line and in the ICU with a diagnosis of strep/pneumococcal meningitis. I spent 8 days in the hospital and came home on the 28th with PICC line and outpatient antibiotics. The fast response of my husband kept me alive.

Comment from: Peter T., 65-74 Male Published: September 28

I have been totally paralyzed for 23 years because of my tailbone injury. I can only lie on my back, but since my coccyx hurts so much at night, my husband is turning me for three hours on each side. He also uses electric stimulation on surrounding muscles, and we have every pillow imaginable. We don't even know what kind of specialist to see.

Comment from: Don P, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I contracted hepatitis C in the late seventies from IV drug use. I was diagnosed in 1995. I have experienced a lot of symptoms including fatigue, headaches, recurring infections (mostly sinus) and worse allergy symptoms. When I first got sick my immune system really went off the rails. I had gum problems, infections under my arms and polyps in my ears. When I got clean in 1987 I was limited to 4 to 6 hours a day. I could not work. I elected not to do the treatment because of several reasons, chief of which was I am into alternative medicine. After many years of research and therapy I work full time and feel good most of the time. My liver enzymes are close to normal and I am still in stage 1 liver disease. This is a potentially fatal illness and I think we should ponder treatment decisions carefully. There are other options out there that your doctors aren"t going to tell you about because they are uneducated in supplements, herbs and other alternative forms of treatment. Check for yourself, it"s your body! Thank goodness I am still alive and clean. Good luck to everyone who suffers from this illness.

Comment from: karmatrue, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I tested reactive for hepatitis C in 2006. I experienced no symptoms since then. When retested in December of 2013, I was told by the doctor that I was positive for the antibodies, but negative for the virus. No one has definitively explained this to me. I wonder if it is because of the quantitative parameters of the test. All my liver enzymes, etc. are in the normal ranges.

Comment from: Agutierrez, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I suffer from vertigo and after two years, I got a stroke. I was told by my doctor to not ignore headache with vertigo. I been on Serc for a long time. This diminishes the vertigo but I get it almost every year. The bad news is that it is getting stronger every year. Every attack is very debilitating and I have to rest all day. They last a week, two or days. I am careful not to get a stroke.

Hepatitis C - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests did you have to diagnose hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment and Medications Question: What methods of treatment, including medication, have you received for hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment Side Effects Experience Question: Describe the side effects associated with your treatment for hepatitis C.
Hepatitis C - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hepatitis C infection.