Patient Comments: Hepatitis C - Treatment Side Effects Experience

Describe the side effects associated with treatment for your hepatitis C.

Comment from: a friend, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I found out I had hepatitis C 20 years ago but in the last couple of years my levels were elevated and I ended up on interferon and developed cirrhosis of the liver, stage 4. It was the hardest year of my life being on that treatment and it did a lot of damage to my teeth, you lose your hair (which of course grows back) and I got a lot of scarring from itching. The treatment has a lot of side effects and I will say causes major depression and suicidal thoughts. You need to have a lot of support which I didn't. I ended early (some people do the 6 month treatment and others have to do the yearlong treatment). I would say one needs to take good care of oneself while on the treatment. It did work for me but I'm just now, 13 months later, getting over the trauma of being on the treatment. Well, you have to do it or die from liver problems. I get checked every 3 months to see how I'm doing.

Comment from: Why not me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

For me the Interferon and Ribavirin mostly caused major fatigue; I was tired all the time. My appetite was barely affected and I gained about 10 pounds. I did lose a fair amount of hair and it also affected my eyes as any bright light was painful, so I found myself wearing sunglasses even at night. However there was one other thing. In the first month I did experience some major depression and mood swings. Unfortunately the treatment did not work as my body began to build up a tolerance to the treatment so it was discontinued after 3 months.

Comment from: dd 24, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I am into the 17th week of 24 weeks of treatment for type 2 hepatitis C. I have been testing clear on both blood tests so far. I have had the usual nausea, headaches, shortness of breath, and irritability. I have found that brushing every nook and cranny around my gumline, tongue, floor, and roof of my mouth with a soft bristle brush seems to decrease the effects of that salty metallic aftertaste that always seems to be present.

Hepatitis C - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests did you have to diagnose your hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment Question: What methods of treatment, including medication, have you received for your hepatitis C?