Patient Comments: Hepatitis C - Treatment

What methods of treatment, including medication, have you received for your hepatitis C?

A Doctor's View on New Hepatitis C Treatments

Read the Comment by Jay W. Marks, MD

There are several clinical drug trials currently underway that suggests soon they may be able to eradicate the hepatitis C virus. Patients currently undergoing treatment for hepatitis C often experience uncomfortable to severe side effects of the hepatitis C treatment drugs, and often suffer a very long treatment period. These new drugs undergoing clinical trials have fewer side effects, have of a shorter treatment duration, and again, can eradicate the hepatitis C virus. So be on the alert for news of approval of these new drugs that just may cure hepatitis C. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Hep C and Me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

In 1979 I had a blood transfusion. I was diagnosed 15 years later with hepatitis C. It was dormant for many years. My levels rose to over 2 million in 2005. I was treated with ribavirin/Pegasys and it was eradicated. My main symptoms were fatigue and anemia. After 4 to 6 injections, I passed out in public one day and when the hospital tested my levels they had gone from over 2 million to 4! I was too anemic to continue the injections and my doctor discontinued the treatment. Now it is December 2014 and my count is 1 million and rising. I can feel it attacking my body and my gastroenterologist is considering new treatment. Hepatitis C is a scary disease and I hope they find a cure soon. I will be seeing my doctor tomorrow to explore my options. I have the fatigue, and I didn't lose any hair but I only had 4 to 6 treatments before I had to stop.

Comment from: louise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had hepatitis C since the 70s. I didn't find out until about 10 years ago. I finally went on treatment even though my viral count is about 25000, which is low. I started treatment taking ribavirin and peginterferon. I was doing okay, but had to stop after 5 weeks because my white blood cell count dipped dangerously low. I'm just waiting for treatment other than the two drugs I tried. I wish I could have finished treatment. My liver enzymes are slightly elevated. I try to stay healthy with diet and exercise.

Comment from: JS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had the 48 week interferon/ribavirin treatment for hepatitis C, with Eprex injections once a week to help with low red blood cells production. Side effects during treatment were awful. I was very sick the whole time, hair thinning, flu-like, no energy, difficulty breathing, little appetite. However, the treatment was successful. That was in 2010. It is now 2014, and I am still experiencing some long term effects from the treatment, such as cognitive impairment (brain fog), ongoing fatigue, muscle and joint aches, and my thyroid was negatively affected by the treatment, so I am taking thyroid medications for hypothyroidism. I am still glad that I did the treatment, there was no real option, as my liver was at Stage 4, but I am not the same that I was before treatment, even though I was sick at that time. I want to know if others out there are experiencing anything similar.

Comment from: larryparker318, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I have had hepatitis C for close to 25 years and now the doctors say that I must start fighting back or it will kill me in the next few years. I tried interferon when I first found out I had it but it made me terribly ill and I stopped taking it hoping they would find a cure. I say that if at all possible, take the medicine as early as you can to avoid this low quality of life that I have lived. I suddenly realized, hey wait a minute, I'm too young to die.

Comment from: why not me?, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was prescribed Ribavirin and Interferon. I took the shot once a week and the Ribavirin every day. At first it seemed to be working but unfortunately my immune system began fighting off and rejecting this treatment, as a result I had to discontinue.

Comment from: mrs sindi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I was diagnosed with hepatitis B in 2014. It was too severe and I took so many medications but it was not helping me. I was introduced by a friend to this herbal medicine which helped me eradicate my sickness, it really worked for me.

Hepatitis C - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests did you have to diagnose your hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment Side Effects Experience Question: Describe the side effects associated with treatment for your hepatitis C.
Hepatitis C - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hepatitis C infection.