Patient Comments: Hepatitis C - Diagnosis

What kinds of tests did you have to diagnose hepatitis C?

Comment from: Shutty, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 18

My husband was diagnosed with hepatitis C in 1998 that was caused by Agent Orange that he was exposed to when he was in Vietnam. He had a liver transplant in 2002.

Comment from: Sarag, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with chronic Hepatitis C in 1996. I received treatment for one year with Interferon 3mu SQ three times a week. My viral load disappeared and my liver functions normalized. My hepatitis C qualitative PCR has remained negative since completing treatment. My genotype is 2A. I felt pretty crummy throughout treatment with flu-like symptoms and I lost approx. 30 lbs (didn't really need to lose weight). I've been fine since and get my PCR checked every five years. I went on treatment against the advice of my primary care doctor. He felt that I wouldn't respond and felt the expense didn't justify it. My main reason for going on treatment was that I believed I could be cured and I didn't want to live with a chronic illness. Also, I had two small children and didn't want to run the risk of spreading it to them or to my husband. It was the best decision I ever made and I was glad that I'd read everything I could about the disease and understood the genotypes, tx responses, etc.

Comment from: VTK, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Hepatitis C needs more attention drawn to it. I'm a chronic Hep C patient. Pegasys did not work for me, and I knew going in that it probably wouldn't. Type 1 has maybe a 25% success rate. I'm taking milk thistle daily now. Because I'm no chemist or herbalist, I don't want to misinform you of its usefulness. Since I've been taking milk thistle, I can only say some of the pain was lessened. Even if it's just a placebo effect, that's OK by me. Having hepatitis C is nothing to be embarrassed over. I'm confident mine came via the U.S. Navy from when I got some inoculations via the old "air gun" method. It doesn't matter where or how you got it. Speak up and speak loud. As a result of my condition, some friends decided they could have been exposed. Out of those friends, one of my friends came up positive for the disease. Now, he is looking at treatment.

Comment from: AS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with hepatitis C as part of a routine employment exam in 2005. I started a course of Peginterferon and Ribavirin which continued for a year. At the last testing in 2007 I was still virus free below detectable levels. Recently I have had an increase in itching which seems to indicate chronic hepatitis C. I am beginning to get worried now.

Published: June 25

HCV Genotype 1A. The first attempt was with Pegasys, I am allergic to Peg-Intron it was stopped after the second injection. Then Intron and Ribavirin was tried. I was virus free at 6 and 9 mos. The virus broke thru at one year and treatment was stopped and I have been classified as a non-responder.

Comment from: montanabln, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I have very recently been put on combination therapy and have had so far administered to myself three injections and decided to administer them in the day time of my first day free from work. My reasoning behind daytime injection is to take the anxiety away from the injection and to see it as a "monster" I need to defeat. With this in mind my philosophy and tactic is as follows: Up to an hour before the injection 1 to 2 liters of water and a camomile tea to calm the nerves. After the injection I literally swallow 3 to 4 liters of water and go to the gym and ride a bike or do other physical activity. I have experienced so far no side effects from the therapy.

Comment from: BDCG, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

I am seeing a friend through pegylated/ribavirin treatment for Hep C. He is treating himself with daily injections of interferon, as well as a daily ribavirin pill, and with Neupogen once a week, and Epogen as needed.

Hepatitis C - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment and Medications Question: What methods of treatment, including medication, have you received for hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment Side Effects Experience Question: Describe the side effects associated with your treatment for hepatitis C.
Hepatitis C - Experience Question: Please share your experience with hepatitis C infection.