Patient Comments: Hepatitis C - Diagnosis

What kinds of tests did you have to diagnose your hepatitis C?

Comment from: VTK, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Hepatitis C needs more attention drawn to it. I'm a chronic Hep C patient. Pegasys did not work for me, and I knew going in that it probably wouldn't. Type 1 has maybe a 25% success rate. I'm taking milk thistle daily now. Because I'm no chemist or herbalist, I don't want to misinform you of its usefulness. Since I've been taking milk thistle, I can only say some of the pain was lessened. Even if it's just a placebo effect, that's OK by me. Having hepatitis C is nothing to be embarrassed over. I'm confident mine came via the U.S. Navy from when I got some inoculations via the old "air gun" method. It doesn't matter where or how you got it. Speak up and speak loud. As a result of my condition, some friends decided they could have been exposed. Out of those friends, one of my friends came up positive for the disease. Now, he is looking at treatment.

Comment from: AS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with hepatitis C as part of a routine employment exam in 2005. I started a course of Peginterferon and Ribavirin which continued for a year. At the last testing in 2007 I was still virus free below detectable levels. Recently I have had an increase in itching which seems to indicate chronic hepatitis C. I am beginning to get worried now.

Published: June 25

HCV Genotype 1A. The first attempt was with Pegasys, I am allergic to Peg-Intron it was stopped after the second injection. Then Intron and Ribavirin was tried. I was virus free at 6 and 9 mos. The virus broke thru at one year and treatment was stopped and I have been classified as a non-responder.

Comment from: montanabln, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I have very recently been put on combination therapy and have had so far administered to myself three injections and decided to administer them in the day time of my first day free from work. My reasoning behind daytime injection is to take the anxiety away from the injection and to see it as a "monster" I need to defeat. With this in mind my philosophy and tactic is as follows: Up to an hour before the injection 1 to 2 liters of water and a camomile tea to calm the nerves. After the injection I literally swallow 3 to 4 liters of water and go to the gym and ride a bike or do other physical activity. I have experienced so far no side effects from the therapy.

Comment from: BDCG, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

I am seeing a friend through pegylated/ribavirin treatment for Hep C. He is treating himself with daily injections of interferon, as well as a daily ribavirin pill, and with Neupogen once a week, and Epogen as needed.

Comment from: Bee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with hepatitis C two years ago by blood tests. I had swelling of the lower legs, fatigue and sore joints. I had all the aches and pains, but I figured it was due to my getting old! I was put on pegatron shots and pills, which at first starting worked like magic but then gradually stopped helping.

Comment from: Bobby, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I have taken the injection and the pills and I am also African American. The virus was maintained for the year I took it, but it did not work.

Comment from: albatros, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I started combination therapy but at my first injection I had an allergic reaction. I had a swollen face, red rush on my neck, and numb upper lips. I went to A&E and was advised to stop straight away taking my medication. There are no alternative therapies on offer so now I'm waiting for a liver biopsy to decide what to do next. Has anyone experienced this?

Hepatitis C - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment Question: What methods of treatment, including medication, have you received for your hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment Side Effects Experience Question: Describe the side effects associated with treatment for your hepatitis C.