Patient Comments: Hepatitis C - Diagnosis

What kinds of tests did you have to diagnose your hepatitis C?

Comment from: daledo one, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I was diagnosed with hepatitis C years ago when I gave blood. I was told that I had been exposed to hepatitis C by the presence of antibodies, but I might never even progress to chronic hepatitis. About a year ago, I started getting sores on my legs. My regular doctor said he thought it was a reaction to methadone pills I take for chronic neck pain. All along, I was told it might be related to the hepatitis C somehow, even though all the hepatitis tests they did showed no sign of hepatitis C. Now, all of a sudden, I'm told I have major liver damage and cirrhosis and I can't be treated because of it.

Comment from: bettyb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I was diagnosed with hepatitis C two years ago after having extreme tiredness and lack of energy. After seeing a gastro-doctor he said my hepatitis C was not causing these conditions, that I was extremely depressed. He said I would have to recover from that before I could be treated for hepatitis C because of the side effects from the medicine. Now he says that I am too old (71) and the quality of my life would be better if I did not take the medicine. I have always suffered from depression and anxiety. I had a blood transfusion in 1982 and 1989. I do have some liver scaring, but I'm healthy otherwise.

Comment from: Deborah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was diagnosed with hepatitis C in 2000. I was in stage 2 then. I tried the interferon and ribavirin. It didn't work, so in 2007, after being diagnosed in stage 4, I tried the Copegus. That didn't work either. So now I just try to take care of myself. I also just got over anal/rectal cancer. Now it is the quality of life I look forward to, knowing there is nothing out there to help me. I can certainly tell you everything there is to know about hepatitis C though! Milk thistle is good; it certainly can't hurt you. I also use Liver Aid. You can buy it at your local drug store. I am 57 and hanging in there!

Comment from: Diane P., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I was diagnosed with stage II hepatitis C in 2003 and was suffering with mental disorders at the time, so I could not take the interferon. Since then, I have taken milk thistle and believe that I haven't gotten much worse. Also in 2003, my brother was diagnosed with hepatitis C, stage IV with cirrhosis. During that year, he was hospitalized. We shared the same doctor, and in July of 2007, my brother passed away. He also took and swore by the milk thistle. My doctor will not give me another biopsy even though I have asked him numerous times. Once a year, I have a CT scan and ultrasound of my liver, to which all he will say is that this is chronic and there is nothing I can do unless you will take the interferon, which as stated before, I can't.

Comment from: Hep C patient, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I'm a 37-year-old male. I was diagnosed a few years back with hepatitis C. I had Interferon and Ribavirin daily for 48 weeks. Eventually, the treatment worked, and now the virus is undetectable. I went through many different side effects: tiredness, anxious, depressed, sore joints, etc.

Comment from: Shutty, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 18

My husband was diagnosed with hepatitis C in 1998 that was caused by Agent Orange that he was exposed to when he was in Vietnam. He had a liver transplant in 2002.

Comment from: Sarag, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with chronic Hepatitis C in 1996. I received treatment for one year with Interferon 3mu SQ three times a week. My viral load disappeared and my liver functions normalized. My hepatitis C qualitative PCR has remained negative since completing treatment. My genotype is 2A. I felt pretty crummy throughout treatment with flu-like symptoms and I lost approx. 30 lbs (didn't really need to lose weight). I've been fine since and get my PCR checked every five years. I went on treatment against the advice of my primary care doctor. He felt that I wouldn't respond and felt the expense didn't justify it. My main reason for going on treatment was that I believed I could be cured and I didn't want to live with a chronic illness. Also, I had two small children and didn't want to run the risk of spreading it to them or to my husband. It was the best decision I ever made and I was glad that I'd read everything I could about the disease and understood the genotypes, tx responses, etc.

Hepatitis C - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment Question: What methods of treatment, including medication, have you received for your hepatitis C?
Hepatitis C - Treatment Side Effects Experience Question: Describe the side effects associated with treatment for your hepatitis C.