Patient Comments: Hepatitis B - Transmission

If known, describe how you or someone you know was exposed to and infected with hepatitis B.

Comment from: Darlene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I found out when I donated platelets a few weeks ago that I tested reactive to hepatitis B. So my personal doctor took more tests and I just learned I have chronic hepatitis B...don't know yet if treatment is warranted. The only symptoms I have are headaches, insomnia and extreme tiredness. But this is not every day, it is random. I think I got it when I had a tattoo done in summer 2012. It got infected and I had to be on antibiotics. I wonder now why the doctor did not order a hepatitis B test then since the needle was obviously not sterilized properly. However, I did not show any signs of hepatitis B, but I did not know to look for that either. It was in 2014 that I experienced a lot of fatigue and headaches. I thought it was aging and allergies, now I finally know.

Comment from: tf60, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I was told I had Hepatitis B when I was 16 years old, due to IV use. I only was sick for 2 weeks then had relapse due to going back to work to soon. I rested for 2 more weeks. I was told not to drink alcohol and eat right, and I'll live a good life. I can't donate blood but other than that I am fine.

Comment from: anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I was told 2 years ago that I have hepatitis b when I was pregnant with my last daughter. My husband and daughters tested negative and were vaccinated. My last daughter was given the vaccine in less than 24 hours after her birth. I don't know how I got the virus because I have never kissed or slept with another man, I have never done tattoo, I have never had blood transfusion or had an accident. My doctor said may be I was contaminated from childhood but my mom is negative. This affected me psychologically and broke me down and even made me sick.

Comment from: braveheart, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I got to know that I'm suffering from Hepatitis B (chronic) in carrier form, during my pregnancy test. I relate it to the accident and dental surgeries I had in my childhood. My husband and child both are negative and I am also only carrier of it.

Comment from: Manjusha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I was infected with hepatitis B when I got a needle prick from an infected patient.

Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.
Hepatitis B - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatitis B.