Patient Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

Comment from: StupidBoy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

Nearly 30 years ago, when I was in my late teens I found out I had hepatitis B. If this wasn't bad enough, I then discovered I was a chronic carrier some months later. Previous to this, by a few months, I tested positive for HIV. My world fell apart, but I soon realized I had no one else to blame but myself, as I had numerous sexual partners. I have remained remarkably well this past 30 years, although I was told my liver was in distress, 10 years after I was first diagnosed, and had resisted any treatment until then. I was given Truvada and a couple of other medicines that worked together, akin as a double pronged attack on the viruses, which have swapped and changed over the years because of minor side effects, but a further 10 years on everything is in check health wise and side effects of my illnesses. Only in the last 5 years or so I have suffered fatigue and muscular problems, but yet regular checkups say both the potentially deadly viruses are suppressed and controlled, with only minor blips here and there. I can't grumble at this! I am still generally healthy and alive somehow! I write this so someone may be given a positive vibe from this, and realize hepatitis B is not a death sentence, even when the odds are stacked against you. You can still live a normal, healthy life, even if you have HIV and chronic hepatitis. I know, I have had 30 years' experience to prove it. I wish you well.

Comment from: Vikas, Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I am carrying hepatitis B virus since long time. I used to donate blood years back. I never had this kind of disease but I am a passive carrier of this virus. Doctors said no medication will help.

Comment from: LiveLaughLove, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about 7 years ago but ignored it since I had no symptoms and was in denial. This past month I went to the emergency room for my ulcer to find out that my blood levels were elevated and was admitted to the hospital. My levels elevated every day for 6 days until they transferred me to a specialty hospital where after many blood tests and a biopsy they diagnosed me with chronic hepatitis B. I was prescribed Viread. I am weak and suffer from abdominal pain. But lately I'm having the worst cramps in my lower abdominal area to the point where I can't sometimes walk. I have no insurance yet and have to go to a clinic which is not always available and I can't even get a doctor on the phone. I'm tired of being in the hospital and all I want to know is if lower abdominal pain is normal with chronic hepatitis B. I'm so tired and depressed since all of my psychiatric medications were taken from me since they are not safe for my liver.

Comment from: Bambang, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I'm a HBV (hepatitis B virus) carrier by birth, I even took Sebivo for 3 years when the stage became acute. I stopped taking the medicine because of the rust of my skin. Now the virus is back again at the highest state. So far now I just safeguard my liver by taking honey, curcumin, and HP Pro. By having enough rest, doing light exercise and avoid alcohol to boost body immunity; just like my parents, now they are free from virus by having antibody.

Comment from: MicnKC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed with HepB 2 weeks ago and was devastated by the news. I have been ill and sore for over 10 years, with no one being able to figure out what was wrong with me. It was always written off as a virus or infection. Then 2 years ago the severe muscle cramps started. I had them from scalp to toes, and it was when they ran the full spectrum of tests to figure the cramps out, that they discovered the HepB along with severe Vitamin D deficiency, which I now link to the HepB. I am so tired and nauseous and in constant pain. I am just sick and tired of feeling sick and tired!! :P

Comment from: joyce12, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I am a hepatitis B carrier, but before I knew that I am a carrier when I undergone a blood test for work, I didn't feel any tiredness that time. I was devastated and hopeless, I don't know what to do.

Hepatitis B - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatitis B.
Hepatitis B - Transmission Question: If known, describe how you or someone you know was exposed to and infected with hepatitis B.