Patient Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

Comment from: Maame, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My parents died of hepatitis B. I have 4 siblings but it seems I and my little sister were the ones born with the disease. I always feel weak, I feel pains in my abdomen, the color of my eye is so yellowish and I always feel some sharp burning pain in my muscles and joints.

Comment from: gerdar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I tried to donate blood for the first time in my life about 26 years ago, and the local county health department telephoned me that afternoon and said I needed to go to see a doctor immediately because I had hepatitis B. I had absolutely no symptoms. I had several blood tests over the course of a year or so, and my doctor said I was a chronic carrier. My sister had Down's syndrome, and my doctor said I probably got it from her as she lived in an institution for a period of time. My other family members were tested, as was my husband. Turns out, my father is also a carrier. I am not really worried about it but continue to have liver profile blood tests each year.

Published: June 30

I was diagnosed with hepatits B in December of 2004. I'm not sure when I got it, but I was having some problems with digestion and a feeling of being bloated and gaseous. My blood test revealed that my liver levels were off the charts. My doctor said that I was in pretty bad shape. In February of 2005, I began taking Epivir HBV. My blood test results slowly came back into range and in approximately six to nine months, the virus was in the undetectable range. I was doing great until October of 2007 and I lost my medical insurance and could no longer afford my medication. I went 3 months without the Epivir HBV. When I was able to get blood work done, it showed that my liver levels had increased significantly , but not to the levels of my original diagnosis. I've been back on Epivir now for 4 months. After 2 months, my blood test showed that my liver levels where headed back to the normal range. I will have more blood work done in a week or so. I have not experienced any major side effects from Epivir. I will have an occasional head ache and a tired feeling, but that may or may not be associated with the medication. I also seem to have occasional pain the the liver area. Being that I had been off medication for 3 months without his consent, my doctor ordered a CT Scan as a precaution. There was no signs of abnormal growths or cancer. Thankfully, I have a really caring doctor that tries to stay on top of things. I am hopeful that my body will be ale to fight off the infection on it's own and I will no longer need medication.

Published: June 12

I have had Hep B for some time now. Exactly when I contracted this virus is unknown of course as is the way of inception. I have experienced the Virus as coming and going to me. I will feel fine for a while and then bam I will wake up one morning and feel like I got a beating by ten people. I have been to many specialists and they cannot get a handle on it so they can try and treat it because the viral load is different all the time, and never going high enough to treat. Therefore I am in a catch 22 situation.

Comment from: candy lee, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

The results of routine medical check-up including blood test revealed that I had hepatitis B. Due to ignorance I was devastated. I felt my life had come to an end, but having read more about it on this web page I feel a lot better. I really don't feel any of the symptoms. It is only the test result that revealed my status. So I guess it is still at an early stage.

Comment from: Pink, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have a boyfriend who has hepatitis B, and he says that, it is hereditary. I just want to ask if that condition can be cured and is there still a treatment for his condition.

Comment from: Debhkar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was vaccinated for Hepatitis B about 10 years ago, yet when recently tested for Hepatitis A, B and C. I showed no antibodies for Hepatitis B.

Hepatitis B - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatitis B.
Hepatitis B - Transmission Question: If known, describe how you or someone you know was exposed to and infected with hepatitis B.