Patient Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

Comment from: Eva, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

The results of routine medical check-up including blood tests (2007 & 2009) revealed that I had hepatitis B. I felt my life had come to an end because friends have avoided me. They said, including the doctors, that the virus is transferable through usage of same cups & utensils. I told the doctor that I deserve my privacy when it comes to my medical condition but he said he did not have control over this. It was the lab that spread my blood work results. I felt so alone, an outcast and useless in this world. I believe I might have contracted the disease through my stepsister. I was in my college year when I was asked by my father to accompany her in the hospital for 5-days (and that was 30 years ago). She had hepatitis but I was not aware then what degree of hepatitis that she got. Her eyes were yellowish, feverish and had been vomiting. And lately (Year 2005), due to her medical condition (she's schizophrenic) the Social Services took her son and placed him under my care. And it was 2007 that they found out that I have hepatitis B. Having read more about it on this web page I feel a lot better. I really don't feel any of the symptoms. It is only the test result that revealed my status. So I guess it is still at an early stage.

Comment from: Ann Marie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I got Hepatitis B back in 2004. I was feeling tired all the time (really tired), and then it started to feel as though I got hit by a truck. I didn't think much of it and thought it may be the flu. So one day, I was talking to my friend and she said that I looked yellow! Well, long story short, I went in and had Hepatitis B. I had got it three weeks before, and it was in very, very high levels. I was in the hospital for over a week and then I went home. I was sick for about two months. I had a liver biopsy, and it damaged my liver, but I am good now. So here I am, five years later. I'm doing well, and you can't even tell by looking at me that anything was ever wrong with me.

Comment from: Dave, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I contracted Hep B when I was 23 and I had mild symptoms for at least 9 months. During that time I was very tired, wounds took me long to repair. I also had white tongue and a metallic taste in my mouth. I felt also very short itching on my chest after training and noticed having yellowish skin and eyes just for a month. I lost 8 kilos. I infected my brother when I was still in the first stage. He probably used the same toothbrush. He doesn't know that he contracted it from me. He was very sick and doctors didn't find anything on him, probably they forgot to test him on Hepatitis B. I don't know how I contracted it. I had always had safe sex with a condom. Then after a year I fully recovered and I thought that when I have immunity against virus, that I don't carry it. Now I'm 27 and just a month ago I infected my new girlfriend by sex. So I guess it means that I'm chronic carrier, even if I'm completely healthy now, because it is after 3 years I had it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 05

I'm a nurse and just found out that I am hepatitis B-positive after giving blood for the first time. About 20 years ago, I became incredibly ill with severe headache, fatigue, weakness, and joint pain. I had a fever of 103 degrees for more than a week and would soak the sheets with sweat. I went to a doctor who told me I had a virus and there was nothing that could be done. I did not have any blood tests done at that time. I had another flare up of these symptoms four months later and again one year after that. I continue to battle fatigue and joint pain. I did receive the hepatitis B vaccination series about 18 years ago but obviously, it was too late.

Comment from: Sassy Girl, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

I had hepatitis B twice: Once when I was 10 years old, and it lasted about a month; and at 18, when it lasted about three months. I had no idea that I carried the virus until I was almost 33 years old. I can't imagine why I would not be told this after having been so sick with it, but I haven't had any real effects from it that I know of. I think I must be a healthy hepatitis B carrier because I don't know of any symptoms. I notice three things that are annoying and I now wonder if it has anything to do with the hepatitis B virus. For one, I am nauseous a lot, I don't heal well with bruises, and I am tired a lot. For the most part though, I feel really well.

Hepatitis B - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatitis B.
Hepatitis B - Transmission Question: If known, describe how you or someone you know was exposed to and infected with hepatitis B.