Patient Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

Published: June 30

I was diagnosed with hepatits B in December of 2004. I'm not sure when I got it, but I was having some problems with digestion and a feeling of being bloated and gaseous. My blood test revealed that my liver levels were off the charts. My doctor said that I was in pretty bad shape. In February of 2005, I began taking Epivir HBV. My blood test results slowly came back into range and in approximately six to nine months, the virus was in the undetectable range. I was doing great until October of 2007 and I lost my medical insurance and could no longer afford my medication. I went 3 months without the Epivir HBV. When I was able to get blood work done, it showed that my liver levels had increased significantly , but not to the levels of my original diagnosis. I've been back on Epivir now for 4 months. After 2 months, my blood test showed that my liver levels where headed back to the normal range. I will have more blood work done in a week or so. I have not experienced any major side effects from Epivir. I will have an occasional head ache and a tired feeling, but that may or may not be associated with the medication. I also seem to have occasional pain the the liver area. Being that I had been off medication for 3 months without his consent, my doctor ordered a CT Scan as a precaution. There was no signs of abnormal growths or cancer. Thankfully, I have a really caring doctor that tries to stay on top of things. I am hopeful that my body will be ale to fight off the infection on it's own and I will no longer need medication.

Published: June 12

I have had Hep B for some time now. Exactly when I contracted this virus is unknown of course as is the way of inception. I have experienced the Virus as coming and going to me. I will feel fine for a while and then bam I will wake up one morning and feel like I got a beating by ten people. I have been to many specialists and they cannot get a handle on it so they can try and treat it because the viral load is different all the time, and never going high enough to treat. Therefore I am in a catch 22 situation.

Comment from: candy lee, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

The results of routine medical check-up including blood test revealed that I had hepatitis B. Due to ignorance I was devastated. I felt my life had come to an end, but having read more about it on this web page I feel a lot better. I really don't feel any of the symptoms. It is only the test result that revealed my status. So I guess it is still at an early stage.

Comment from: Pink, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have a boyfriend who has hepatitis B, and he says that, it is hereditary. I just want to ask if that condition can be cured and is there still a treatment for his condition.

Comment from: Debhkar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was vaccinated for Hepatitis B about 10 years ago, yet when recently tested for Hepatitis A, B and C. I showed no antibodies for Hepatitis B.

Comment from: Braak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I developed complete liver failure several years ago. The doctors told me my liver was damaged due to Vicodin and prednisone usage. After almost having to have a liver transplant. I have lived in chronic pain since. I am now on Methadone 90 mg. per day. Somedays that does not even help with the pain. I also take Creon capsules to help with digestion of food. I always have discomfort when I eat or take vitamins in my liver. I am now having pain when I swallow, through my chest area and leg muscle weakness. I wonder if this could be a part of the disease. I have been previously diagnosed with Hepatitis B and beginning Cirrhosis.

Comment from: mel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I just found out this week that I have Hepatitis B. I am a nurse and have been for many years. I have lost up to 30 pounds since the end of last year. My appetite was terrible. I had nausea and vomiting, which is something I very rarely have. I also ran a fever. I had a kidney stone about four years ago and I have had pain in the upper right portion of my back since that time, no one was able to give me a diagnosis. I feel tired most of the time, but my appetite is returning. I am now being checked for Hep C. The diagnosis was devastating. I wonder when I contracted the disease and who I may have infected. I do not have joint pains but I have flu-like symptoms all of the time, I am always cold. I will be going to see a specialist soon to find out my status.

Hepatitis B - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatitis B.
Hepatitis B - Transmission Question: If known, describe how you or someone you know was exposed to and infected with hepatitis B.