Patient Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

Comment from: Dave, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I contracted Hep B when I was 23 and I had mild symptoms for at least 9 months. During that time I was very tired, wounds took me long to repair. I also had white tongue and a metallic taste in my mouth. I felt also very short itching on my chest after training and noticed having yellowish skin and eyes just for a month. I lost 8 kilos. I infected my brother when I was still in the first stage. He probably used the same toothbrush. He doesn't know that he contracted it from me. He was very sick and doctors didn't find anything on him, probably they forgot to test him on Hepatitis B. I don't know how I contracted it. I had always had safe sex with a condom. Then after a year I fully recovered and I thought that when I have immunity against virus, that I don't carry it. Now I'm 27 and just a month ago I infected my new girlfriend by sex. So I guess it means that I'm chronic carrier, even if I'm completely healthy now, because it is after 3 years I had it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 05

I'm a nurse and just found out that I am hepatitis B-positive after giving blood for the first time. About 20 years ago, I became incredibly ill with severe headache, fatigue, weakness, and joint pain. I had a fever of 103 degrees for more than a week and would soak the sheets with sweat. I went to a doctor who told me I had a virus and there was nothing that could be done. I did not have any blood tests done at that time. I had another flare up of these symptoms four months later and again one year after that. I continue to battle fatigue and joint pain. I did receive the hepatitis B vaccination series about 18 years ago but obviously, it was too late.

Comment from: Sassy Girl, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

I had hepatitis B twice: Once when I was 10 years old, and it lasted about a month; and at 18, when it lasted about three months. I had no idea that I carried the virus until I was almost 33 years old. I can't imagine why I would not be told this after having been so sick with it, but I haven't had any real effects from it that I know of. I think I must be a healthy hepatitis B carrier because I don't know of any symptoms. I notice three things that are annoying and I now wonder if it has anything to do with the hepatitis B virus. For one, I am nauseous a lot, I don't heal well with bruises, and I am tired a lot. For the most part though, I feel really well.

Comment from: Maame, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My parents died of hepatitis B. I have 4 siblings but it seems I and my little sister were the ones born with the disease. I always feel weak, I feel pains in my abdomen, the color of my eye is so yellowish and I always feel some sharp burning pain in my muscles and joints.

Comment from: luci, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with hepatitis B six years ago when I became pregnant with my first child. My husband got tested for the virus as well but the results turned out negative. I have no idea how or where I contracted that virus. I had no signs or symptoms before the test. Recently I've been getting some burning sensations in both feet and insomnia. I have not had any medications.

Comment from: wvguy27, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about a month ago. I am feeling fatigued a lot of my time.

Comment from: gerdar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I tried to donate blood for the first time in my life about 26 years ago, and the local county health department telephoned me that afternoon and said I needed to go to see a doctor immediately because I had hepatitis B. I had absolutely no symptoms. I had several blood tests over the course of a year or so, and my doctor said I was a chronic carrier. My sister had Down's syndrome, and my doctor said I probably got it from her as she lived in an institution for a period of time. My other family members were tested, as was my husband. Turns out, my father is also a carrier. I am not really worried about it but continue to have liver profile blood tests each year.

Hepatitis B - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatitis B.
Hepatitis B - Transmission Question: If known, describe how you or someone you know was exposed to and infected with hepatitis B.