Patient Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

Comment from: bassam, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

Two years ago I found out I am infected with hepatitis B virus and I was maintained on entecavir (Tecavir). Then after 3 months PCR was undetectable but HBsAg was still positive and also anti-HBs still zero. I am still taking my medication and my wife was vaccinated against the virus.

Comment from: suzaku, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

i have a question to ask regarding hepatitis B. I found out that I was a hep B carrier when I undergone a test during my pregnancy with my 3rd child. the test was done last September 2006. but I was not treated.. I did not undergone any vaccine shot because I was pregnant that time.. i went another check up with my fourth child...my second test was last November or December 2007. my ob got surprise because I was positive in the antigen test in my hep B but I was negative in the antibodies test. according to her, how could that happen that in the antigen, I was positive but negative in the antibodies. she told me that the hep virus is now in my blood surface but I have no antibodies that would fight for the bacteria.. Until now, I have no vaccine shot yet. but my 2 young kids got their shots after I gave birth to them. vaccines complete for them...Finally my OB told me that i need to gone another test after six months from giving birth to see if there was a changes in my case...if the case was still the same that i am still negative in the antibodies test, then she will refer me to the Internal Medicine doctor..

Comment from: HIMEL, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I live in Bangladesh. my age is 32. 12-15 years ago i have infected by HBV. that time was treated by many doctors and all they advised there no treatment to cure from it my body permanently but luckily it s/b removed at the before of age 30 years as percent 80% effected people. just need to take care on taking food & life style s/b very fare. there no medicine & treatment. in the time being before 6 month ago my marriage has declared to arranged. that time i found the HBV is still effective in my body basis on several test report as doctor prescribe and there no problem in my body due to HBV effect. i'm treated as HBV carrier. however i told to my partner (whom i will be marry). after a day later she's deny me to arrange marry due to HBV. but doctor prescribe it will be okay if my partner will take vaccine. before that need to take proper protection with condom. for kind information i always passing my life with a proper shape. i never smoke, take drink-drugs or sex with others. but don't know how i attacked with HBV. Now i telling my current life...like dead man...no hope, no life. a big panic covered me every second. no women will marry me after hearing my HVB situation, which already happened. even i struggling in my family & society also due to this factor.

Comment from: Kwesi, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have been diagnosed with Hepatitis B viral infection which I've realized was passed on to me at birth. I'm 49 years old and undergoing series of tests to determine the appropriate treatment.

Comment from: laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I acquired Hepatitis B in my 20's and was very sick for approximately a month. My symptoms were joint pain, loss of weight, and severe weakness. I was in bed for weeks. I was not administered any medication to treat. Just bed rest. I am currently 55 years old and a doctor recently told me there is a link between hepatitis b and liver cancer in later life. This kind of freaked me out. I drink rarely, but bruise easily and was tested again in my 20's to see if still had the disease, and they said I no longer had hep B because I carry the antigen. Other that that I believe I am fairly healthy.

Comment from: Scotia, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed with Hep B in 1982 (I had "flu like" symptoms for about six weeks) and was told I was a carrier in 1984. My lft's were slightly abnormal for a couple of years, then normal ever since. I had ultrasounds every year since 1990. This year my blood work revealed all three tests for Hep B were negative and a test for virus DNA came back as "unreported." The doc says no more ultrasounds.

Hepatitis B - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatitis B.
Hepatitis B - Transmission Question: If known, describe how you or someone you know was exposed to and infected with hepatitis B.