Patient Comments: Hepatitis B - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hepatitis b.

Comment from: HIMEL, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I live in Bangladesh. my age is 32. 12-15 years ago i have infected by HBV. that time was treated by many doctors and all they advised there no treatment to cure from it my body permanently but luckily it s/b removed at the before of age 30 years as percent 80% effected people. just need to take care on taking food & life style s/b very fare. there no medicine & treatment. in the time being before 6 month ago my marriage has declared to arranged. that time i found the HBV is still effective in my body basis on several test report as doctor prescribe and there no problem in my body due to HBV effect. i'm treated as HBV carrier. however i told to my partner (whom i will be marry). after a day later she's deny me to arrange marry due to HBV. but doctor prescribe it will be okay if my partner will take vaccine. before that need to take proper protection with condom. for kind information i always passing my life with a proper shape. i never smoke, take drink-drugs or sex with others. but don't know how i attacked with HBV. Now i telling my current life...like dead man...no hope, no life. a big panic covered me every second. no women will marry me after hearing my HVB situation, which already happened. even i struggling in my family & society also due to this factor.

Comment from: Kwesi, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have been diagnosed with Hepatitis B viral infection which I've realized was passed on to me at birth. I'm 49 years old and undergoing series of tests to determine the appropriate treatment.

Comment from: laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I acquired Hepatitis B in my 20's and was very sick for approximately a month. My symptoms were joint pain, loss of weight, and severe weakness. I was in bed for weeks. I was not administered any medication to treat. Just bed rest. I am currently 55 years old and a doctor recently told me there is a link between hepatitis b and liver cancer in later life. This kind of freaked me out. I drink rarely, but bruise easily and was tested again in my 20's to see if still had the disease, and they said I no longer had hep B because I carry the antigen. Other that that I believe I am fairly healthy.

Comment from: Scotia, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed with Hep B in 1982 (I had "flu like" symptoms for about six weeks) and was told I was a carrier in 1984. My lft's were slightly abnormal for a couple of years, then normal ever since. I had ultrasounds every year since 1990. This year my blood work revealed all three tests for Hep B were negative and a test for virus DNA came back as "unreported." The doc says no more ultrasounds.

Comment from: Eva, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

The results of routine medical check-up including blood tests (2007 & 2009) revealed that I had hepatitis B. I felt my life had come to an end because friends have avoided me. They said, including the doctors, that the virus is transferable through usage of same cups & utensils. I told the doctor that I deserve my privacy when it comes to my medical condition but he said he did not have control over this. It was the lab that spread my blood work results. I felt so alone, an outcast and useless in this world. I believe I might have contracted the disease through my stepsister. I was in my college year when I was asked by my father to accompany her in the hospital for 5-days (and that was 30 years ago). She had hepatitis but I was not aware then what degree of hepatitis that she got. Her eyes were yellowish, feverish and had been vomiting. And lately (Year 2005), due to her medical condition (she's schizophrenic) the Social Services took her son and placed him under my care. And it was 2007 that they found out that I have hepatitis B. Having read more about it on this web page I feel a lot better. I really don't feel any of the symptoms. It is only the test result that revealed my status. So I guess it is still at an early stage.

Comment from: Ann Marie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I got Hepatitis B back in 2004. I was feeling tired all the time (really tired), and then it started to feel as though I got hit by a truck. I didn't think much of it and thought it may be the flu. So one day, I was talking to my friend and she said that I looked yellow! Well, long story short, I went in and had Hepatitis B. I had got it three weeks before, and it was in very, very high levels. I was in the hospital for over a week and then I went home. I was sick for about two months. I had a liver biopsy, and it damaged my liver, but I am good now. So here I am, five years later. I'm doing well, and you can't even tell by looking at me that anything was ever wrong with me.

Hepatitis B - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatitis B.
Hepatitis B - Transmission Question: If known, describe how you or someone you know was exposed to and infected with hepatitis B.