Patient Comments: Hepatic Hemangioma - Diagnosis

Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatic hemangioma.

Comment from: HoneySunshine71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I was diagnosed with my hepatic hemangioma in December 2009 after a partial hysterectomy. My obstetrician/gynecologist could see my liver during the procedure which of course concerned him. After the surgery he did an ultrasound and concluded that the liver tumors were cancerous. Thankfully after consulting with an oncologist he realized they were not. And luckily no biopsy was done or I probably would have bled to death. I get it checked out annually to make sure nothing has changed. So far so good!

Published: May 31

I asked Loma Linda University to look at my hemangioma with a scope instead of doing a biopsy. They have students and an attending physician radiology intervention team doing the biopsy and then the overseeing surgeon. They were checking the mass for cancer. They refused my request to do it less invasively with the scope and of course I felt about six stabs. They said they finally got about two good samples. They had to use foam for the bleeding and I was in excruciating pain that was not tended to. It proved to be what I suspected, a hemangioma. Not cancer.

Hepatic Hemangioma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hepatic hemangioma?
Hepatic Hemangioma - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for a hepatic hemangioma?