Patient Comments: Hepatic Hemangioma - Treatment

What types of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for a hepatic hemangioma?

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I just had surgery for my benign hemangioma between the liver and stomach. The surgeon used four small cuts in the upper abdomen and one "C" section type incision on the bikini line. "Junior" was 7 cm at his greatest dimension. It was discovered by a CT scan to diagnose and locate diverticulitis inflammations. The radiologist asked to do a biopsy, wisely deferred to an oncology surgeon because of the possibility of bleeding and release of malignant cells. There was considerable soreness at the bikini cut, but the others are just itchy. The most painful part of the surgery was having a urinary catheter. This is my only experience with that so I don"t know if there is a less pain with an expert or not. The shots to prevent blood clots would be rated 4 and 8 on a ten scale, 10 being a scream. The shot in fat on the side near the pelvic bone was a 4 while the one in the love handles where we are most ticklish was at least an 8. Placement of IV ports where the hands can be used to push and pull helped avoid pulling stomach muscles. I spent about 36 hours in the hospital, two days tapering off Percocet. I had noticed a fullness even when not eating, but no pain or nausea.

Comment from: Lloyd, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My wife had a liver resection 3 years ago to remove what was described as a giant hepatic hemangioma. Her symptoms included severe pain, nausea, swelling of the liver. Now, a much smaller hepatic hemangioma is causing her intense pain, nausea, dizziness, and swelling of the liver. We have not been able to see a surgeon, but she needs one badly. She was warned not to take pain medication, so she is in agony! My sister died of hemangioma when she was 52 years old, when the multiple cysts turned malignant.

Comment from: sarahjanedoe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I have what was termed a "huge hemangioma" that was discovered during a HIDA scan and a CT scan for abdominal pain. That was 7 years ago and I'm still pretty healthy. It was probably an "incidental finding" but one of my docs wants to keep an eye on it every year and another said to just leave it alone if I'm not having any symptoms. I haven't had a scan to check up on it in a while. I've been told the surgery to remove it is unnecessary unless bleeding is imminent, and the surgery itself is somewhat dangerous and can cause significant blood loss. So, I hope it just stays there and doesn't do anything. In the meantime, I'm just focused on living healthy and not worrying about it.

Comment from: Chazbbo100, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I am a 74-year-old male, and have lived and worked on six continents. I spent eight years in the military. The condition was discovered at the VA hospital while scanning my aorta. I have not received any treatment, only a CT scan every two years to check the size. The larger hepatic hemangioma is on my liver's left lobe and is 20cm x 10cm. The right has several smaller ones that measure about 5-6cm in diameter.

Hepatic Hemangioma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hepatic hemangioma?
Hepatic Hemangioma - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatic hemangioma.