Patient Comments: Hepatic Hemangioma - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your hepatic hemangioma?

Comment from: Polly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had severe upper abdominal pain which I was told was a stomach ulcer. I could feel a small lump in the same area which I was told was fat. I received medication for the ulcer for 7 months. But the pain returned, so I was sent for an ultrasound scan which revealed a 2.5 cm hemangioma on my liver. I was in pain for about 2 months and extremely fatigued with weight loss before being prescribed PPIs (proton pump inhibitors), again as the doctor said that the hemangioma would not cause the pain. I have been referred for a MRI on my liver.

Comment from: charlie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I had no symptoms whatever. I had an ultra sound scanning as a matter of a check-up following some bowel disturbance and the scanning disclosed a hepatic hemangioma. My doctor assured me that it was no problem and no treatment was necessary.

Comment from: Ideal, Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My hemangioma was discovered while doing an ultrasound scan for my urinary tract infections (UTIs) and pain in the lower left abdomen. After so many years of checking on why I am susceptible to UTIs, I am realizing that the bleeding from the hemangioma is causing it when I don't drink enough water to flush the proteins. My doctor did not connect the blood in the urine to this. He sent me to at least two urologists to see whether there was a reason for bleeding and there were none. I am the one who brought this connection to the attention of my doctor. This has taken over 5 years. Anyway, I just went for another ultrasound to monitor its growth. I saw a naturopath who encouraged me to drink at least a gallon of water each day, 6 tall glasses of water. What a difference that makes to all aches and pains! I also take cranberry pills if the UTIs pop up. I am staying away from pharmaceuticals. I'm 58 years old. I hope this gives useful information to others.

Comment from: suzzy Q, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I just had an ultrasound that just showed these things on my liver and 2 are small and 1 is very large; I am very upset and scared. Liver Cancer is my 1st thought and then I get even more scared. I thought it was my gallbladder and had bad gas but it is not. Three years ago I had a full hysterectomy and I am seeing that estrogen therapy could be a cause. Now I have had dizziness and abdominal pain and feel horrible maybe just physiological.

Comment from: AngiWallace, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I went to the ER for nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. I have these bouts quite frequently with no apparent cause. CT w/o contrast was done and identified multiple hypodense lesions as well as a 27x29mm soft-tissue mass. Later CT w/ contrast was done and the lesions were simple cysts. The larger mass has now been diagnosed as a Hepatic Hemangioma. Currently awaiting liver function results.

Comment from: One Hemangioma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I was having pain on and off on my right side. Months later I noticed a hard lump and the pain was increasing. Went to my doctor and she ordered an ultrasound, and then for a CT where the hemangioma was diagnosed. Meeting with a surgeon next week.

Comment from: HemangiomaQueen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Mine was discovered after a car accident. I was having persistent back pain and pain in my right side. After several weeks and no relief, my doctor ordered an MRI. No issues with my back, but my side pain was most likely due to a hepatic hemangioma that was 22 cm. I was sent to a liver specialist at. We discussed possible surgery to remove it, but as it's so large we decided to leave it alone. As I rested and healed, I recovered from the accident. Now, I have occasional pain in my right side, but manageable.

Hepatic Hemangioma - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for a hepatic hemangioma?
Hepatic Hemangioma - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatic hemangioma.