Patient Comments: Hepatic Hemangioma - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your hepatic hemangioma?

Comment from: Liver Lesion, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I have two hepatic hemangiomas on my liver and was told as well they don't cause pain. Well, they do. I have severe pain under my right rib, suffer from bloating, lack of appetite, weight loss, and nausea. There is great information on the net on the lesions and how real and debilitating they can be.

Comment from: Stephanie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I think doctors are wrong! They say that hepatic hemangiomas do not cause pain. I'm going to tell you they do cause pain. I have pain in my right side where the liver is located, get nausea and bloating all the time. It has gotten so bad I can hardly eat.

Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have been having pain and an 'annoying' sensation in my upper right abdominal and rib cage area. Last December I was treated in the emergency room for gastritis. An ultrasound indicated an echogenic mass which was probably a fatty infiltration on my liver. Last week (11 months later) I had an MRI with/without contrast which showed a 1 cm hepatic hemangioma. My doctor states that could not be causing my pain as it is too small. Well, it's my body and I feel a strange sensation in my rib cage and my back hurts and goes into spasms. I hate taking any pain medications, as I am a nurse and can be drug tested at any time. I am trying my TENS unit and hot/cold therapies to see if I get any relief.

Comment from: Polly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had severe upper abdominal pain which I was told was a stomach ulcer. I could feel a small lump in the same area which I was told was fat. I received medication for the ulcer for 7 months. But the pain returned, so I was sent for an ultrasound scan which revealed a 2.5 cm hemangioma on my liver. I was in pain for about 2 months and extremely fatigued with weight loss before being prescribed PPIs (proton pump inhibitors), again as the doctor said that the hemangioma would not cause the pain. I have been referred for a MRI on my liver.

Comment from: charlie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I had no symptoms whatever. I had an ultra sound scanning as a matter of a check-up following some bowel disturbance and the scanning disclosed a hepatic hemangioma. My doctor assured me that it was no problem and no treatment was necessary.

Comment from: Ideal, Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My hemangioma was discovered while doing an ultrasound scan for my urinary tract infections (UTIs) and pain in the lower left abdomen. After so many years of checking on why I am susceptible to UTIs, I am realizing that the bleeding from the hemangioma is causing it when I don't drink enough water to flush the proteins. My doctor did not connect the blood in the urine to this. He sent me to at least two urologists to see whether there was a reason for bleeding and there were none. I am the one who brought this connection to the attention of my doctor. This has taken over 5 years. Anyway, I just went for another ultrasound to monitor its growth. I saw a naturopath who encouraged me to drink at least a gallon of water each day, 6 tall glasses of water. What a difference that makes to all aches and pains! I also take cranberry pills if the UTIs pop up. I am staying away from pharmaceuticals. I'm 58 years old. I hope this gives useful information to others.

Comment from: suzzy Q, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I just had an ultrasound that just showed these things on my liver and 2 are small and 1 is very large; I am very upset and scared. Liver Cancer is my 1st thought and then I get even more scared. I thought it was my gallbladder and had bad gas but it is not. Three years ago I had a full hysterectomy and I am seeing that estrogen therapy could be a cause. Now I have had dizziness and abdominal pain and feel horrible maybe just physiological.

Comment from: AngiWallace, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I went to the ER for nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. I have these bouts quite frequently with no apparent cause. CT w/o contrast was done and identified multiple hypodense lesions as well as a 27x29mm soft-tissue mass. Later CT w/ contrast was done and the lesions were simple cysts. The larger mass has now been diagnosed as a Hepatic Hemangioma. Currently awaiting liver function results.

Hepatic Hemangioma - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for a hepatic hemangioma?
Hepatic Hemangioma - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatic hemangioma.