Patient Comments: Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

Comment from: vampiregirl7788, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My mom who is 35 years old now, was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) at the age of 9. She has told me so much about it, but I was still wanting more knowledge. That's why I am doing more research on the topic. She's been amazing. She fought through the disease like the woman I look up to today. I love her, and so glad she inspired me. She told me about the rash, and all the symptoms she had to deal with. She told me that she had to deal with weakness, and fever. The doctors kept telling her it was the flu, but nope. They confused it with Rocky Mountain spotted fever and meningococcal disease. I am kind of a science geek, so I went deeper in the disease and found amazing facts. Penicillin, amoxicillin, and ampicillin, which she is allergic to, could've caused the disease to blossom in her young body. I hope all of you guys who know people, or yourselves, have experienced HSP, I hope you live a long and happy life. I love you all.

Comment from: lola, 25-34 Female Published: January 06

My doctor gave me 4 weeks of antibiotics and soaking, but my paronychia didn't get better. So then he tried 2 weeks of bacterial medications, which didn't work and also gave me a rash. Then he referred me to a hand doctor, who gave me antifungal medications topical and oral, 3 weeks on this and it is slowly getting better. Half my nail fell off with more that looks like it will, but it doesn't hurt like it did. I have 3 weeks of medicines left then hopefully it will be all cleared up, except for no nail. I advise anyone not to wait to see doctor over what seems to be superficial.

Comment from: cdemchak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 35, I was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) last year. I hurt, my joints hurt a lot and back when I was younger I was getting a lot of upper respiratory infections. I went to the hospital for the rash on my legs, and it was working its way up my legs and was very itchy. I thought it was poison ivy but the doctor told me that it was not and all he told me was to take Benadryl and the spots went away. Now I have joint pain and from time to time abdominal pain to the point that I want to cry. So far I have not had anything happen with my kidneys, but I do have the swelling in my feet and ankles. My lower back hurts and I have gotten blisters on my legs and they just pop up instead of the rash.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura just a few days ago. I'm a 30 year old female. The first thing I noticed was tiny red dots on my lower legs. I first thought it was just razor burn so I got a new razor, but then it continued to spread. About the same time I started to notice that my ankle was a little bit tight. The rash spread with each day and the right ankle kept feeling like it was getting harder and harder. A large purple bruise-like area appeared around that ankle. Within about two weeks, my ankle was so swollen I could hardly walk. I was in agonizing pain just to stand up. I started on prednisone the next day and the ankle seemed to feel better by the next morning. I was so excited that I was able to get up and move around but that evening it started to hurt again. I have found that staying off your feet and icing the joints helps. Now I am extremely itchy though. I don't know if that is in anyway related or not.

Comment from: Racquel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am a 44 year female who was bitten by a brown recluse spider. After a day of intense itching, I developed the Henoch-Schonlein purpura spots. That was 3 years ago. I still suffer with my headaches, stomach cramps, joint pain and kidney issues. Occasionally I still get the spots.

Comment from: M, 45-54 (Patient) Published: September 21

I am 45 years old and was first diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura 20 years ago. I was so sick with purpura all over my body. I was put on chemotherapy a few times because the disease was so out of control. I was in remission for 16 years and all of a sudden last week the purpura appeared with a vengeance. I just had my first round of Robaxin IV. I really hope this works because the chemotherapy (Cytoxan) is not that wonderful for your body.

Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with henoch-schonlein purpura.