Patient Comments: Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

Comment from: SickyNicky, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I used a body hair remover that had no directions on wearing gloves so I didn't. I noticed that at the end of my application there seemed gunk stuck to my nails and I couldn't get them clean. So I used my nails to get that off. I realized my nails had melted by the product and now were paper thin. My stomach got the brunt of the abuse. I applied this stuff to my arms and legs and had gotten some on my stomach. It started burning and now it is bright red and oozing green matter. My legs started bleeding in places I had a healed cut.

Comment from: polly, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

My depression is more sadness than I can handle, it's because of my grandchildren. I cry each every day, I go nowhere, I don't live I exist, I don't care if I live or die, if I could find a way out I will do it. It's always on my mind of ways to leave this awful world. I'm on no medicine, because instead of them giving me something that will work they ask. I don't have a real doctor, I don't have a mental doctor, and I have ADHD. I have had no medications for that for a real long time. I was on at one time but moved out of state for short while. So I struggled every day, no sleep, lots of dreams, and sadness; my heart feels like someone stabbed me. I have lost interest in everything. I go nowhere, do nothing, and no friends except one who lives an hour away. All I want is to die, and soon. Because I hate my life and myself.

Comment from: vampiregirl7788, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My mom who is 35 years old now, was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) at the age of 9. She has told me so much about it, but I was still wanting more knowledge. That's why I am doing more research on the topic. She's been amazing. She fought through the disease like the woman I look up to today. I love her, and so glad she inspired me. She told me about the rash, and all the symptoms she had to deal with. She told me that she had to deal with weakness, and fever. The doctors kept telling her it was the flu, but nope. They confused it with Rocky Mountain spotted fever and meningococcal disease. I am kind of a science geek, so I went deeper in the disease and found amazing facts. Penicillin, amoxicillin, and ampicillin, which she is allergic to, could've caused the disease to blossom in her young body. I hope all of you guys who know people, or yourselves, have experienced HSP, I hope you live a long and happy life. I love you all.

Comment from: lola, 25-34 Female Published: January 06

My doctor gave me 4 weeks of antibiotics and soaking, but my paronychia didn't get better. So then he tried 2 weeks of bacterial medications, which didn't work and also gave me a rash. Then he referred me to a hand doctor, who gave me antifungal medications topical and oral, 3 weeks on this and it is slowly getting better. Half my nail fell off with more that looks like it will, but it doesn't hurt like it did. I have 3 weeks of medicines left then hopefully it will be all cleared up, except for no nail. I advise anyone not to wait to see doctor over what seems to be superficial.

Comment from: cdemchak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 35, I was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) last year. I hurt, my joints hurt a lot and back when I was younger I was getting a lot of upper respiratory infections. I went to the hospital for the rash on my legs, and it was working its way up my legs and was very itchy. I thought it was poison ivy but the doctor told me that it was not and all he told me was to take Benadryl and the spots went away. Now I have joint pain and from time to time abdominal pain to the point that I want to cry. So far I have not had anything happen with my kidneys, but I do have the swelling in my feet and ankles. My lower back hurts and I have gotten blisters on my legs and they just pop up instead of the rash.

Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with henoch-schonlein purpura.