Patient Comments: Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

Comment from: Racquel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am a 44 year female who was bitten by a brown recluse spider. After a day of intense itching, I developed the Henoch-Schonlein purpura spots. That was 3 years ago. I still suffer with my headaches, stomach cramps, joint pain and kidney issues. Occasionally I still get the spots.

Comment from: Jillnz, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

My son had a bad case of Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) at age 5. It was awful (pain, swelling, and not being able to move or walk), and his spots turned into blood blisters. I feel it really took a year before he was back to himself. He had protein in urine and had regular blood pressure (BP) checks that seemed good. He never got it back but at age 17 he developed high BP. We did all the tests and everything came back normal including his kidneys. He sees a cardiologist 1 or 2 times a year for a stress test. He is on 2 types of medicines to help control it. He is now 22. He is very fit, healthy, eats healthy and high BP does not run in the family. We have no idea of the cause, I would think it's from the HSP but we can't find anyone else that this has happened to.

Comment from: speduk8rs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

When I was a 13 year old, I developed a rash on my legs, my mother treated it as poison oak. After a week of the rash, my mom had me stay with one of my sisters. I had severe stomach pains so I was given aspirin for the pain. I stayed on aspirin for about 2 weeks and one morning I woke up sick to my stomach when I went to the bathroom I started to pass blood through my rectum and throwing blood up at the same time. I was hospitalized for 6 months before a diagnosis was made. I had one of the worst cases seen in that hospital. I had to go to a kidney doctor for a year. Then when I was in college I developed a rash, I went to a dermatologist who told me I didn"t have Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP), he did a biopsy and when the results came back, sure enough it was HSP. This time it was a milder case than the first time. I have a scar on my kidney and am being watched to make sure my kidneys work properly. The pain is so horrible, that I had to have very strong pain killers to be able to let covers touch my skin. Now I am in my 50s, I have scarring on my Kidneys.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura when I was 5 an am now in my 40s. We didn't have Google back then to research purpura like we do now, but I remember growing up, my parents made sure it was part of my health history. I had a severe case and my parents almost lost me. I lost a ton of weight and remember not being able to stand and nurses trying to get me to stand on a scale in the hospital. I remember ice baths for a high 105 temperature. The rash had spread from the tips of my toes to the roof of my mouth and the doctors had told my parents that if it went to my eyes I could go blind and to hope that it didn't go to my brain. Miraculously I recovered and have had no recurrences fortunately.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 16

My daughter was diagnosed with HSP when she was about 2 years old. She's been sick off and on during the winter with vomiting/diarrhea. She was on her potty chair one morning and said her knees hurt. I didn't really see anything unusual but they progressively became more painful and by evening they were very swollen, warm to touch and she was unable to walk. When my husband arrived home from work her ankles and elbows were swollen as well. By the time we arrived at the ER that evening the purpura began and continue to worsen throughout the evening. The ER doc. loosely diagnosed her with possible juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and told us to follow up with pediatrician. We took her to pediatrician the next day. Our pediatrician was pretty confident it was HSP as soon as he saw her and after getting a urine sample and some blood work he diagnosed her with it. She did have kidney involvement. She was put on steroids as well as a narcotic pain med. The pain swelling and purpura subsided in about two weeks she continued to have blood in her urine for about two months. She is 13 now and has started having purpura around her eyes, her earlobes and sometimes on extremities. I have an appointment set with her pediatrician so hopefully we can make sure all is well soon.

Comment from: M, 45-54 (Patient) Published: September 21

I am 45 years old and was first diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura 20 years ago. I was so sick with purpura all over my body. I was put on chemotherapy a few times because the disease was so out of control. I was in remission for 16 years and all of a sudden last week the purpura appeared with a vengeance. I just had my first round of Robaxin IV. I really hope this works because the chemotherapy (Cytoxan) is not that wonderful for your body.

Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with henoch-schonlein purpura.