Patient Comments: Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

Comment from: mayr, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My son was 6 when he got Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP), it started with his legs paining him. I thought it was just that he hurt his leg running around until I noticed a rash starting to form on his lower leg, I brought him to A&E and while we waited to be seen by a doctor his 2 legs had swollen up so bad that I had to put him in a wheel chair because he could no longer stand. It was then the doctor diagnosed HSP and until then I had never heard of it, it was a very frightening experience for us. He had to spend a few nights in the hospital and it lasted about 4 weeks. He is now 7, nearly 8, and it hasn't returned and hopefully it never will.

Comment from: Maria123, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 14

It was 40 years ago that I had HSP, it took ages for them to figure out what I had, my fevers were so bad I had to have ice baths quite a few times. I spent most of a year in and out of the hospital. I was on a drip for 13 weeks straight. My doctors tried everything and in the end they had told my parents to be prepared for me to die. One last treatment was tried and I recovered. It is funny when I read about HSP and they say a mild illness that you will recover from quickly and yet I know that I almost died of it.

Comment from: pa, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 07

My girlfriend was diagnosed for Henoch-Schonlein purpura and also diagnosed for pneumonia. After having a sore throat and a sort of recurring fever, she was admitted to the hospital for 1 week and took prednisone as her steroids and antibiotics for her pneumonia. She's subjected for kidney biopsy to monitor her kidney. Additionally, her body and face swells and I feel pity for my girlfriend. Now, she's been discharged and advised to rest and manage her diet, her diet is low salt.

Comment from: shopmommy, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My Daughter is 4 years old. This started as a "rash" on her butt and thigh area. The next morning she was vomiting and screaming that her tummy hurt. We took her to urgent care they did a strep test and blood work. No fever or and other symptoms they gave her a pill for the vomiting and treated her for strep. That was a Monday by Thursday she was still vomiting and screaming in pain (the now called petechia rash) has spread to her legs, feet, hands and arms. We took her to the hospital she has lost 3lbs and had not had anything to eat in 3days. They gave her IV fluids and said it was strep. After telling us it could be LEUKEMIA. Sent her home. The next Monday she still can't eat still in pain and the "petechia rash" has got worse we take her back to the hospital and they now tell us it is HSP today is Thursday 2/3/11 and she is still vomiting and in pain and the rash looks worse than ever.

Comment from: Mom, Male (Caregiver) Published: January 25

My son has had this and had all the symptoms listed. However, he also has renal failure and is having a kidney transplant very soon. Everything you read says this is rare but not in his case. He got HSP when 9 years old and is now in early 30's, so never quit getting this disease checked out annually.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

On my 47th birthday I went to my doctor. I thought I had food poisoning. He gave me antibiotics. That was on Thursday. Sunday I went to the ER with extreme stomach pain. I was there for three days. I was put on a liquid diet for four days. The following Monday I went back to the ER for stomach pain. The ER doctor was the one that diagnosed me with HSP. The specialist that I was seeing had never seen this before. I still get spots regularly but I don't have the pain. Maybe I will grow up and grow out of HSP.

Published: February 29

I had Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) when I was about 8 years old. I had red spots all over my legs and had trouble walking, sitting down, or standing up.

Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with henoch-schonlein purpura.