Patient Comments: Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

Comment from: kat, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My son had Henoch-Schonlein purpura when he was 6 years old. His symptoms included a rash just like the rash for meningitis, swelling of the hands, legs, head, genitals -- all on different days. There is no treatment and he had lots of bed rest. I had to check his urine daily for protein and if it went high I had to take him into the hospital. All in all he was ill for 5 months. He is now 21 and has not suffered since.

Comment from: Frustrated, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 59 years old male - I got HSP three months ago. First I noticed bright red spots on my thighs. The next day my left ankle got sore and swollen. After that came stomach aches and diarrhea. After three days I noticed that there was blood in excrements - then I was sent to hospital. I was given antibiotics directly into a vein and some pain killers because doctors told me, that my small intestine was inflamed.

Comment from: Leepa, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 09

My son is seven and he was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura today. He had a cold last week that is still clearing up. He has had a stomach rash for three days, red, raised and pinprick sized. Diarrhea and stomach pain this morning. No significant fever, no headache, no swellings. Pediatrician diagnosed this straight away -- he saw another case earlier in the week! All blood tests are normal. We're home, all good, just keeping an eye on him and my fingers crossed.

Comment from: hrobinson, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had Henoch-Schonlein purpura when I was younger. It caused swelling a lot of pain from my waist below. Luckily the Doctors who had seen me put me on some type of medicine to stop what was happenening to me. My legs and bottom had looked like they had just had a rash at first and it began at my feet then progressed up to my hips the swelling and pain came later on. I was too young to remember the names of the medicines that they had put me on but whatever it was kept from dying. If they hadnt done anything at the time that they did the Dr's said it would have exploded my heart. I'm thankful for what they did for me and that I'm perfectly healthy today and am now an expectant mother.

Comment from: Markik, Male (Caregiver) Published: March 08

So I was at a wedding party with my family and one if my cousin's leg started hurting. When we were about to leave her she vomited on the floor and said it really hurt bad. My uncle was going to drive her to the hospital because we were in Rochester and her legs got swollen. My uncle and aunt were thinking she got something contagious from the waterpark they went to a week before hand. Later they realized my cousin has HSP and I got scared cause if that gets into your kidneys you may need surgery (since she was very young that would be sad). The next day we found out instead of relaxing in the hotel, sadly she was in the ER feeling good which was good news. Just too bad we didn't get to say goodbye to her when we left. Hopefully she will get better.

Comment from: loving, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 21

My 6 year old son was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura almost a week ago. A week ago today he was diagnosed with strep throat. Two days later the rash developed and stomach pain. His doctor said he has HSP. The next evening we ending up in the ER with joint swelling (he couldn't walk), abdominal pain and rash. He had a cat scan and they ruled out surgery, but his bowel was thickened. We came home from the hospital two days later and was able to eat the B.R.A.T diet, but has been in extreme pain with vomiting sine. His rash came back and is worse. With all the stories I am reading my heart goes out to all those children and families. The worst thing to go through is watching your child suffer and there is NOTHING I can do.

Comment from: Amy, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 24

You never want to go through Henoch-Schonlein purpura, but if you do, be prepared. And if you see things that are not normal, you're not crazy! I had to experience this nightmare. Today my daughter is doing great. But when she was little she lost so much weight and nearly died from weight loss. You get an endocrinology doctor, we did and he was the best. Referred us to Children Hospital and we had to go there weekly.

Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with henoch-schonlein purpura.