Patient Comments: Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

Comment from: jackiec43, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with HSP in 2007 and had a very mild dose of the illness. In 2010 I started with HSP and ended up with ulcers on my legs. Since April 2010 there hasn't been a full a week that I have gone without having the rash. Some weeks are worse than others. I am totally drained – I suffer daily from joint pain in my arms, fingers, legs, and feet. I have been in hospital several times with a high blood count and blood in my urine. I take medication daily, including painkillers and steroids. It is so hard, because people don't understand how this makes you feel.

Published: March 08

My 4 year old was just diagnosed with HSP at first doctor thought it was impetigo but once it spread from butt to legs and couldn't walk because of the severe ankle and knee pain. I took him to emergency room and found out it was HSP. I am told there is nothing we can do for him and that we have to let this run its course.

Published: January 03

My daughter was diagnosed recently with Henoch-Schonlein purpura. She vomits for days at a time, gets a purple dot rash on her arms and from her waist right down to her toes. Her ankles and knees swell up to 3 times their size and she cannot walk. She also has abdominal pains that lasts for days. It has been 5 weeks since this started.

Comment from: Kansas City mom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My 5 year old was just recently diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura. We think his 15 month old brother might have it too. Three of my four kids were also just diagnosed with strep, including these two. The 5 year old cannot walk on his own, his left leg bothers him the most. He has abdominal pain much of the time (and a swollen abdomen and hips). Although he occasionally feels well enough to eat. I was advised to give something like protein shakes or pedia-sure if he won't eat, since at least that will put some nutrition in him. I am eager to see if the antibiotic and the codeine they prescribed for my 5 year old will help him recover from the Henoch-Schonlein purpura. We are two weeks into the Henoch-Schonlein purpura from the start of the symptoms, which were vomiting and high fever. Day four of the symptoms was when the pain and rash showed up. Two days later he started on prednisone, and by the end of that fifth day of treatment his purpura was nearly gone, but the pain has only gotten worse. The 15 month old is only three days into his symptoms, and the rash showed up yesterday for him, so we will see what happens with him. The strep will keep them from healing, so we are glad to have it diagnosed and being treated. This is definitely a scary time, and hard to see my children in so much pain. I sympathize with all of you who have gone through, 0are going through or will go through the same thing.

Comment from: macca, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 13

My daughter was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura in July, I have been advised she has one of the worst cases seen, her rashes have been so severe at times, she still has bruising and protein leaking from the kidney 4 months on. I was told this would last 6 weeks. She also still suffers with joint pain. This has been an awful time for us.

Comment from: sapper_wife, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 16

My son is 10 years old. He is currently suffering from Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP). It started about 4 weeks ago. He developed a very small rash of bumps on his shins. I thought he had been bitten by fire ants. Within 3 days, the bumps began to spread, and his right foot swelled up twice the size of his left. By the next day, he was vomiting profusely and in intense abdominal pain. The rash was literally spreading while I watched. I rushed him to the ER as a result of the abdominal pain. While in the hospital, the rash started to get better when they put him on steroids, but he was still vomiting(even with IV Phenergan and Zofran) blood and having bloody diarrhea, as well as pain so bad that even while on a morphine pump, it could not be controlled. He also had blood in his urine and was extremely dehydration. After the pain in his stomach subsided, 9 days later, he was sent home on prednisolone, Pepcid and oxycodone. The very next day, the rash came back with a vengeance, it was EVERYWHERE. He also developed intense joint pain to the point that he could no longer walk or stand up. He is now going on 4 weeks of this disease, the rash is still very prevalent, but the abdominal pain and joint pain seems to have gotten slightly better.

Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with henoch-schonlein purpura.