Patient Comments: Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

Comment from: Gavinsmom05, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 16

My son is 6 years old. He came home from school with both his ankles swollen and red dots all over both legs. We thought he had been bitten and was having an allergic reaction. The next day his wrists started swelling and the rash of red dots had spread. He was having difficulty walking. We immediately went to the pediatrician and they diagnosed him with HSP. His penis, ears, ankles, wrists, knees, and fingers swelled up. He has had hard knots on his scalp, groin, and calves. He has the huge red spots all over his legs and buttocks. We are on day 6 and he has had a second wave of rash which now looks like raised bug bites. I can only pray that this will be over soon!

Comment from: jackson, Male Published: October 26

My case of Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) was more serious than what was described. I have had it for seven years, and I am now 14. I had to have a couple of operations and take steroids and another drug for six years. The side effects made things difficult for me. I let out lots of protein and saw a specialist. The doctor said that it is as if there is a hole in my kidneys, and all of my protein is leaving my body. Sometimes I saw blood when I urinated! (I'm male.) It was very stressful, and I am going for another check-up in six months. Wish me luck!

Comment from: Mum, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 15

My daughter had this disorder when she was 6 years old and I would have to sit behind her in bed and she in a maternity pillow in front of me (her between my legs in a sitting position) and I would have to rub her stomach in a circular motion about every twenty minutes for about 2 or 3 weeks. She slept no longer than about twenty minutes at a time because of the cramps in her stomach.

Comment from: tashac., 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I'm 16 and I was diagnosed with HSP at the age of 9. A few weeks before I was diagnosed, I started feeling really stiff and every morning, I couldn't get out of bed. My back was so painful, I could barely move and I would have to struggle and roll off of my bed, to hit the floor. One morning, the morning it was the worst, I could barely move at all, I felt really ill and had severe abdomen pain and I came up in a rash all over. There wasn't anywhere where there wasn't a spot. My mum booked an emergency doctors appointment. There were no available doctors, so we saw a nurse who had no idea what was happening, and had to pull a doctor out of a meeting to get me a second look. They first thought it was meningitis. I was taken to hospital and spent the day there. At the hospital, I had loads of blood tests, urine tests, and many others. It was horrible as I had no idea what was happening to me and no one was telling me anything - it was only years later that my parents explained so I understood. It took weeks for me to actually be diagnosed and meantime they gave me a really gross medicine, but once they had found out it was HSP, I had to go onto another medicine which wasn't as bad! I still get stiff now but I'm ok.

Comment from: trystal27, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My daughter was 6 years old when she first got hsp. It was Christmas morning, she started with severe belly pains vomiting up blood, and her whole legs was covered with the red rash, so I took her to the emergency room, and none of the doctors knew nothing about it, so she was rushed to a different hospital, she had a fever of 105,she was wheel chair bound for a couple of months, she had a kidney biopsy because of it, and she has arthritis, and she have to take medicine everyday so it won't flare back up. Occasionally she has flare ups, and they just have to up her dose in her steroids. It's been almost 2 years since she had it, and now she just has stomach pains and arthritis because of it. She goes to a kidney doctor and arthritis doctor regularly and has physical therapy so hopefully she will fully recover from it.

Comment from: HSPMom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

Our daughter was first afflicted with HSP at age 6. She had bloody stools, vomiting and abdominal pain along with headaches and joint pain. The rash showed up after the first symptoms. We nearly lost her when the seizures started. She was treated with steroids and anti-convulsants and at one point stopped breathing. She was on steroids for months and had to have a home teacher for her first grade year. We thought that it was all over and she was generally healthy for about a decade. Then it gradually became clear that her immune system does not function correctly and that her immunoglobulin is not as it should be. She suffered with constant infections and took tons of antibiotics but problems always recurred. She is now on monthly IVIG treatments that sort of keep the infections at bay.

Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with henoch-schonlein purpura.