Patient Comments: Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

Comment from: merrillpa, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 30

I reduced the swelling and symptoms by taking low dose colchicine an anti- inflammatory used by gout sufferers , try 0.5 mg per day ,check for drug interactions before using.This drug is by prescription only in some countries.

Comment from: Jo b, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

A safe and easy way to get non-messy relief from external hemorrhoids is to gently clean by dabbing it with wet paper towel or baby wipe. Then get a medium-sized cotton ball, and with some pressure, try to force the vessel back into the anus and let the cotton ball stay at the base of the opening for a short time. This will prevent the vessel from falling back out and getting squeezed by the sphincter, which is the cause of the pain. I do this and it works right away. Next time you have a movement, the cotton ball will flush easily and you won't have to touch it. Repeat the procedure whenever you feel the bulge and pain. This is inexpensive, easy, almost painless, and not embarrassing.

Comment from: RrhoidHelper, Published: November 24

I have about two decades of experience with extreme bleeding because of prolapsed hemorrhoids. The anemia has been so bad, I once had a doctor laugh because my hematocrit (red blood cell) level was so low that he thought it was a ridiculous mistake. Over the past year, I have become fairly successful at fighting both the anemia and the hemorrhoids. To soften my stools, I eat two bananas and six dried apricots (high also in iron) every day regardless of my status. I also take one docusate sodium tablet and Metamucil twice a day, and senna once a day. In addition, I gradually increased my water intake from two quarts to my current four quarts. My body now thirsts if I have less than three quarts. To fight the anemia, I also take iron tablets twice a day as well as a lot of pumpkin seeds (check the bulk section of the grocery store). The fruit generally keeps the hemorrhoids at a minimum and the iron supplements generally maintain my red blood cells even when I have extremely bad hemorrhoids. When the above measures just don't get rid of the hemorrhoids, I go on a restricted diet, limited pretty much to oatmeal, beans and fruit/vegetables. I put lots of craisins or raisins in the oatmeal, and eat navy or pinto beans, which are both really high in iron. This limited diet takes one to two weeks to take effect.

Comment from: seekingforhelp, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had an internal surgery more than a month ago, and I still have hemorrhoids. The doctor (surgeon) said that the surgery has an 80 to 90% chance that they won't come back. Well, they're still swollen up after each bowel movement. They're about the same size of the ones that he removed. I am frustrated.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: November 19

I have a huge hemorrhoid as big as two fingers that a doctor treated with silver nitrate to stop the bleeding because it was easily soaking a pad. Now he has referred me to a surgeon. This came on suddenly -- last weekend -- with no warning. Preparation H seems to do no good.

Comment from: duwardsfreedom, 45-54 Male Published: October 24

For my hemorrhoids zinc oxide ointment of 20% helped more than the hemorrhoid cream but I would clean the area with witch hazel and alternate between the cream and the zinc oxide. Mine were really bad and I was worried, but it took about 7-10 days and I was much better. Thanks to this web site.

Published: July 24

My job involves standing for hours, and not much walking between patients. If this is your type of problem, too, try walking, jogging, or pelvic- related exercises like yoga, sit-ups, pelvic lifts, and pushups.

Published: June 09

Zinc oxide always gets rid of mine very quickly.

Hemorrhoids - Causes Question: What caused your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been effective for your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Surgery Question: Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.