Patient Comments: Hemorrhoids - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

Comment from: Clubdncr, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

Honestly the only thing that worked a lot for my hemorrhoids is Hemclear. Expensive at 50 plus but worth it! You have to take it 3 times a day for 40 or so pills but after 2 or 3 weeks they are 80 to 90 percent gone. I have been using it on and off for years.

Comment from: Alison373, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

First of all, I did not win the battle against my hemorrhoids and had them removed with THD (transanal hemorrhoidal dearterialization) in spring and fortunately don't have problems anymore now, but I suffered for many years and found that the following home remedies worked for me when it got really bad: twice a day a Sitz bath (to clean properly), afterwards a cold cloth with tea tree oil (for disinfection) and then Preparation H. After a couple of days it always got better. Plus of course, a fiber rich diet and plenty of water. I talked to other sufferers and I think everybody has to find his or her own home remedy. I personally don't believe there is one treatment that helps everyone.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

Desitin diaper rash ointment (40% zinc oxide) was the first thing I ever tried that worked. I made my own Desitin suppositories. Hemorrhoids have not been a problem since. Nothing else worked. After reading about applying it as a cream, I took it a step further. Try this. Take a piece of Saran wrap or aluminum foil, squirt a line of Desitin 40% on it a few inches long. Freeze it. When frozen, cut into 3/4 inch strips and you have homemade suppository. I applied once a day before bedtime. I had great results after one application. I did it for a week for the heck of it. The cold sensation lasts only 1 or 2 seconds.

Comment from: chopinlover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I love using zinc oxide/cod liver oil diaper rash cream on my hemorrhoids. Nothing else works as fast. Preparation H doesn't work nearly as fast or as well. I also make sure to soak in a hot tub, eat lots of fiber, and use alcohol free wipes. Sometimes I will use a plain warm water enema, very carefully to make sure everything is flushed clean. Then insert liberal amount of the diaper cream into the anus, twice a day. Two years ago I did have a very severe external thrombosed hemorrhoid and I did run and get it lanced, drained and would do it again in a heartbeat. Since then I have a much smaller one that is not nearly as bad {not in same spot, the bad one never came back on that side} and I seem able to control it with the zinc cream, so far.

Comment from: saved!, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 01

Zinc for hemorrhoids saved my life. Thank you for posting!

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

My body does not like antibiotics. For a very minor infection which was almost healed my doctor gave me a prescription 40 tablets to be taken with water one every 6 hours. I followed his direction exactly. It gave me hemorrhoids that itch and burn and light bleeding that have lasted over two months. I also had fever blisters for two weeks. I watch my diet pretty closely and have never been affected like this before! I am rarely ever sick. I may change doctors.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have gotten hemorrhoids for about the last 6 years or so and absolutely nothing helps. I am so sick of all these phony advertisements for creams, natural remedies they want you to pay a fortune for. Well, I finally found this site and I got to tell you whoever wrote about the zinc-oxide is my one true HERO. I went out and got some DESITIN Diaper Rash ointment which has 40% zinc oxide and I applied it once at bedtime and guess what NO hemorrhoids this morning. It absolutely shrunk the piles and I can sit again. Anyone who reads this has to get DESITIN Diaper Rash Ointment.

Hemorrhoids - Causes Question: What caused your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Surgery Question: Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.