Patient Comments: Hemorrhoids - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

Comment from: teachinglife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I tried witch hazel, Preparation H, nystatin, and coconut oil, and nothing worked like zinc oxide 40 percent which I found in a generic baby rash cream. I have been struggling for a year and a half with external hemorrhoids, and after one week with only two applications (just externally), I feel normal again. I hope I have finally found something to help me go back to a regular life.

Comment from: yoyo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Believe it or not, aloe vera is excellent in more than one way. Applying the plant gel helps, but freezing the hemorrhoid first doubles the relief. The doctor told me to take aloe vera gel capsules to stop bladder spasms when I had a urinary tract infection (worked better than Azo). But, I realized the gel caps also helped ease most of my pain during bowel movements. Apparently, aloe is a strong laxative and may be eaten, in small amounts! Taken in pill form, it helped soften stools and kept me regular. Drinking lots of water helps, too.

Comment from: Rekas, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I cured my hemorrhoid (internal) using salt water stream. Do this twice a day at least 20 minutes each. I did day and night. And I took paracetamol and ibuprofen 3 times a day. Try it!

Comment from: Gade, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

After years of hemorrhoid pain and problems I tried using coconut oil about 2 months ago. Now I have no pain, no itching, no blood, and hemorrhoids are basically gone. I use 100 percent pure and natural oil once or twice a day. Relief was immediate once I started using coconut oil. Try it!

Comment from: G, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

After suffering from bleeding hemorrhoids for years and trying cortisone creams and other prescriptions, I noticed on a recent trip to Costa Rica that my symptoms disappeared over the week that I was there and returned when I got home. Knowing that hot humid weather actually contributes to making my condition worse, I figured that simply swimming in the ocean ever day was the only thing that made sense as to why the condition abated during the vacation. I recently went to the dollar store and bought a cheap spray bottle and filled it with water then added salt to the water until it no longer dissolved (a fully saturated salt solution). When I take a shower, the last thing I do is spray myself with the salt solution, directly on the area of concern, but I don't rinse it off, leaving the area with a salt solution that eventually evaporates, leaving a salt residue that seems to cure me all day long. Nothing has worked this well and I no longer suffer from hemorrhoids, bleeding, stinging, etc. I can now walk a round of 18 holes on the golf course without that building friction that makes the last 5 holes a real pain in the backside. And what can be cheaper than salt and water, with no need for smearing messy creams on areas that are not considered to be a joy to touch. Once the spray hits the area, I can feel immediate relief if I've skipped a few days without treatment.

Comment from: Hemorrhoid treated, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I had hemorrhoid, I went to the doctors, and they advised for surgery. Later one of our relatives informed me that it can be cured without surgery. I consulted that clinic. They give me pain killer injection and they put some medicine and tied the hemorrhoids. In a day or two when I went to the toilet hemorrhoids fell off, and later day by day pain reduced and it healed. It has been 2 years now and till now no issues with me. I suffered a lot so thought let me share. Applying coconut oil helps you.

Hemorrhoids - Causes Question: What caused your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Surgery Question: Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.