Patient Comments: Hemorrhoids - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

Comment from: G, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

After suffering from bleeding hemorrhoids for years and trying cortisone creams and other prescriptions, I noticed on a recent trip to Costa Rica that my symptoms disappeared over the week that I was there and returned when I got home. Knowing that hot humid weather actually contributes to making my condition worse, I figured that simply swimming in the ocean ever day was the only thing that made sense as to why the condition abated during the vacation. I recently went to the dollar store and bought a cheap spray bottle and filled it with water then added salt to the water until it no longer dissolved (a fully saturated salt solution). When I take a shower, the last thing I do is spray myself with the salt solution, directly on the area of concern, but I don't rinse it off, leaving the area with a salt solution that eventually evaporates, leaving a salt residue that seems to cure me all day long. Nothing has worked this well and I no longer suffer from hemorrhoids, bleeding, stinging, etc. I can now walk a round of 18 holes on the golf course without that building friction that makes the last 5 holes a real pain in the backside. And what can be cheaper than salt and water, with no need for smearing messy creams on areas that are not considered to be a joy to touch. Once the spray hits the area, I can feel immediate relief if I've skipped a few days without treatment.

Comment from: Hemorrhoid treated, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I had hemorrhoid, I went to the doctors, and they advised for surgery. Later one of our relatives informed me that it can be cured without surgery. I consulted that clinic. They give me pain killer injection and they put some medicine and tied the hemorrhoids. In a day or two when I went to the toilet hemorrhoids fell off, and later day by day pain reduced and it healed. It has been 2 years now and till now no issues with me. I suffered a lot so thought let me share. Applying coconut oil helps you.

Comment from: moon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

This is only for the brave! I had a huge external hemorrhoid (with its own heartbeat). Clean by taking a warm Epsom salt bath. Pat dry. Make a paste with cayenne pepper and coconut oil (you can add turmeric too) and apply directly to hemorrhoid. Put on old underwear (it stains clothes) and lie on the side with your favorite movie. This burns! But it still does not hurt as bad as the hemorrhoid. The burning goes away in about 5 minutes. My hemorrhoid shrunk within 10 minutes. The next day, clean and apply only coconut oil; things will be super dry/raw in that area.

Comment from: Clubdncr, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

Honestly the only thing that worked a lot for my hemorrhoids is Hemclear. Expensive at 50 plus but worth it! You have to take it 3 times a day for 40 or so pills but after 2 or 3 weeks they are 80 to 90 percent gone. I have been using it on and off for years.

Comment from: Alison373, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

First of all, I did not win the battle against my hemorrhoids and had them removed with THD (transanal hemorrhoidal dearterialization) in spring and fortunately don't have problems anymore now, but I suffered for many years and found that the following home remedies worked for me when it got really bad: twice a day a Sitz bath (to clean properly), afterwards a cold cloth with tea tree oil (for disinfection) and then Preparation H. After a couple of days it always got better. Plus of course, a fiber rich diet and plenty of water. I talked to other sufferers and I think everybody has to find his or her own home remedy. I personally don't believe there is one treatment that helps everyone.

Comment from: sherryt, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I just read about Desitin and my hubby being just went to the store for me tonight to pick some up. I had also read that being on antibiotics can help cause hemorrhoids, due to what it does to your digestive system. I have been using preparation H for over a week with little to no change. Keeping my fingers crossed that Desitin will work.

Hemorrhoids - Causes Question: What caused your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Surgery Question: Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.