Patient Comments: Hemorrhoids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hemorrhoids?

A Doctor's View on Hemorrhoid Symptoms

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

If you have suffered from a hemorrhoid, you know how painful and uncomfortable they can be. The most common symptoms of hemorrhoids include pain and pressure in the rectal area (often feeling like you need to have a bowel movement); a burning or itching feeling around the anus; bright red blood in a bowel movement, toilet water, or on the toilet paper; or a lump of tissue around the anus. In general, internal hemorrhoids do not produce symptoms other than painless rectal bleeding as described previously. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: D, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I was just diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, I had no idea I had it. I went to the doctor for bad heart burn, because I have been on heart burn medications for about three years and thought something was up. I was then told about the hernia; with hind sight I have had some symptoms for a while and just didn"t know. The shortness in breath is the worst. I recently moved to a high altitude area and thought it was just old age; I was wrong.

Comment from: SMatthews, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My first episode made me think I might be having a heart attack - the tightness in my chest, the pain, the shortness of breath - it was awful. That was 30 years ago and I've had plenty of episodes since then but I figured out a way to stop the attacks dead in their tracks. Drink something (anything) very, very fast until you're able to have a hearty burp. Once you burp, the pain, the pressure, the shortness of breath all disappear.

Comment from: ppkk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am a 52 year old female and was told when I was around 30 that I have slight hiatal Hernia and I have many of the symptoms. I have burping, acid reflux, pieces of food regurgitating hours after having eaten the meal, pain in upper left side of abdomen, sometimes dull pain in the right side of abdomen. Have had all possible tests, tried Nexium, Prevacid, Protonix - the works. I am feeling so much better ever since I saw this integrative doctor 2 years ago! I take digestive enzymes before eating lunch, Phillips probiotics after lunch. I do this for 4 to 6 months, then go off the regimen for 6 months and then start again. He also prescribed L-Glutamate 2000mg/ twice a day (from health food store) that I took for 6 months. I watch what I eat and this has worked miracles for me.

Comment from: Melissa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

The symptoms of my hiatal hernia were a bulge sticking out, occasional severe pain when bending or twisting at the waist, and heartburn.

Comment from: Deena, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am so thankful for this website and the helpful tips. I have been suffering from hemorrhoids for a few years now. Mine have not shrunk at all and in fact have gotten worse. The biggest issue is the itching and burning- a little bleeding too. Prep H did nothing and after going to a handful of doctors who weren't helpful, I decided to do more research and see what my options were for treatments. I found lidocaine to help but only if I douse the area. The suppositories also help at night - I can at least get a few hours of sleep. I will now try desitin and hemeez. I am so frustrated with my doctors because they take it so lightly. They even make me feel ashamed (one said I had herpes even though I'm not sexually active for religious reasons). I am a healthy 28 year old female and I just want some relief and a doctor who has more treatments than prep H. Hopefully MDs will research this topic more to help out their patients.

Comment from: twitzdary, 35-44 Female Published: November 05

I recently developed a hemorrhoid after a very forceful bowel movement. (Learned that one the hard way) and the first few days were extremely painful, felt like a stabbing pain in my anus any time I sat down/stood up. Four days have passed; the pain is still present, though not as bad. But now when I have a bowel movement, there's blood on the stool. Going to the doctor today to get it checked out.

Comment from: cory, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I felt a swelling on the left side of anus. Then it increased in size within 3-4 days and developed pain. Doctor examined and declared external hemorrhoids. He gave me some anesthetic cream and asked me to add fiber in the diet. Then after 10 days the swelling was over so is the pain, but still after 10 months I have a small lump over the same place and my toilet paper do have small blood mark after bowel moments. I don't have constipation. I exercise a lot. I eat vegetables and fruit. I don't know why my problem is still not over. I am ashamed of telling others.

Hemorrhoids - Causes Question: What caused your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been effective for your hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids - Surgery Question: Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.