- Take the Blood Disorders Quiz
- Patient Comments: Hemophilia - Signs and Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Hemophilia - Diagnosis
- Patient Comments: Hemophilia - Treatment
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- Hemophilia facts
- What is hemophilia?
- What causes hemophilia?
- What are the signs and symptoms of hemophilia?
- How is hemophilia diagnosed?
- Is it possible to know if you are a carrier of hemophilia?
- What are treatments for hemophilia?
- Can hemophilia be prevented?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for hemophilia?
- What are possible future treatments for hemophilia?
What are possible future treatments for hemophilia?
Multiple trials and studies are underway to examine the possibility to use gene therapy to replace the defective genes in hemophilia. To date, stable and sustained production of the deficient clotting factors has not been achieved in humans, but this is an area of active investigation that holds great promise for the future.
Medically reviewed by Jeffrey A. Gordon, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialties in Oncology and Hematology
Centers for Disease Control. Hemophilia.
eMedicine.com. Hemophilia A and B.
eMedicine.com. Hemophilia C.