- Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) facts
- What is a "syndrome?"
- What is hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS)?
- What causes hemolytic uremic syndrome?
- What are the signs and symptoms of hemolytic uremic syndrome?
- How is hemolytic uremic syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for hemolytic uremic syndrome?
- What is the prognosis of hemolytic uremic syndrome?
- How can hemolytic uremic syndrome be prevented?
How can hemolytic uremic syndrome be prevented?
Most cases of typical HUS associated with diarrhea can be prevented by thorough washing and cooking of food products. The vast majority of cases of typical HUS are caused by poor food handling from the farmer to the wholesaler and grocer. Proper washing and cooking techniques in the kitchen is the key to prevention.
Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent atypical HUS.
Medically reviewed by Robert J. Bryg, MD; Board Certified Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Cardiovascular Disease
CDC.gov. Investigation Update: Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing E. coli O104 (STEC O104:H4) Infections Associated with Travel to Germany.
FDA.gov. Eculizumab (Soliris)