Patient Comments: Hemoglobin A1c Test - Results

Question:What were the results of your hemoglobin A1c test?

Comment from: angie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

My hemoglobin A1c is 6.3. The doctor said it should be 5.2. He said I'm eating something that is producing sugar, my glucose is 99 which is good. I can't think of what is making sugar go up in A1c. I eat fresh vegetables and protein, no dough products or white products.

Comment from: raj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

At time of detection of type II diabetes, it was 10.8%. Recently HbA1C is 5.7%. It means that again pre-diabetic condition has occurred.

Comment from: JenJen89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have been insulin resistant for approximately 5 years. I can't tolerate Metformin. I am 24 years old with several other health problems. I had extreme nausea and right side pain, elevated liver enzymes and enlarged liver for approximately 1 or 2 years. I have Just got results back today from the doctor saying that my A1C is 179. Pancreas is making way too much insulin and I've got to get on Metformin immediately, no carbohydrates, strict diet or pancreas and liver will shut down. I wonder if it is even possible for my A1C to be that high! My sugar levels are never high!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

My endocrinologist did my A1C in his office when I went to see him about my Thyroid medication. The number was 5.9. He said this is border line and that I need to keep an eye on it. I told him if he could get my TSH levels right, I would then focus on the A1C. My mother has Diabetes. I am 39 years old female, 5 foot 9 inches and gaining weight because I'm Hypothyroidic after surgery to remove my thyroid. I weigh 262 right now and have gained about 12 pounds in the last month or so.

Published: September 13

My A1c was 11 in August. I am desperately trying to lower this for my next test in November. I am 56 years old, African-American woman, 5 feet 3 inches tall, and have gone from 180 pounds to 151 pounds and have all but eliminated carbs from my diet. I'm actually looking forward to my next test.

Comment from: ellah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My hemoglobin A1c result is 6.1%.

Comment from: Ashlee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 07

I am 53 years old. My A1c is 5.9 and fasting glucose serum is 89. My father was diabetic and my mother is borderline like me.

Comment from: sujoh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

The result was 5.7 after 3 months of low-carb diet and losing 20 lbs. Initial FBS (fasting blood sugar) was 118.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My HbA1c result is 6.6% and mean plasma glucose level is 157.66.

Comment from: golan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I received my blood test and the results are as follows: HbA1C 6.2 Glucose 92.

Comment from: Battleaxe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

My HbA1C Went from 7.6 to 6.8.

Comment from: Fat Dad, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

There seems to be some inconsistency in the use of Metform, HgB A1c, and daily BG. I was put on Metformin last fall as my HgB A1c was 8.2 and I weighed 215 pounds. By April I was down to 175 and HgB A1c of 6.2 Not on medication anymore. So why and I reading about people here who are being put on Metformin with 5.9 HgB A1c and normal daily BG? One of my diabetic friends has an odd situation: HgB A1c is 5.9 and daily BG is an average 135 - 140. How is it possible to have a low HgB A1c with a somewhat high daily BG? I am both a patient and a caregiver.