Patient Comments: Hemoglobin A1c Test - Results

Question:What were the results of your hemoglobin A1c test?

Comment from: midookie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I just had a laparoscopy 2 days ago and other than feeling full and bloated from the gas and a soreness around the incisions, I feel pretty good. The day of the surgery when I came home, I was very sleepy and slept for almost 2 days with getting up, except here and there to use the bathroom and eat. My throat was very sore and thirsty and my mouth was so dry. Urinating hurt for a day or so, from the catheter I think, because it was bleeding a little bit. But it's okay now. If you're worried about the surgery itself, don't! Because you're not going to remember anything at all!

Comment from: lastlooks, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I found great relief for my paronychia with tea tree oil. Pain went away after I soaked it.

Comment from: cynical1941, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I had an initial A1C of 7.2 and high blood pressure. I took medicines for 30 days and had horrible life threatening reactions. I dumped the medicines and went on low carb eating. Daily 50 to 80 grams weight toward morning and night. Lost 14 pounds in 90 days. Blood pressure is in the 105 to 115/68 to 74 range and A1C came down to 6.1. Now the family nurse practitioner wants me to take a statin and is really irritated when I refuse. She backed off when I told her she tried to kill me with the first medicines and she has no credibility.

Comment from: GlutenFree Girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

My hemoglobin A1C test result: 5.5. I eat gluten-free, no dairy, and no red meat lots of vegetables and fruit. I have lost 20 lb. in the last year, and I'm in my 60s.

Comment from: angie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

My hemoglobin A1c is 6.3. The doctor said it should be 5.2. He said I'm eating something that is producing sugar, my glucose is 99 which is good. I can't think of what is making sugar go up in A1c. I eat fresh vegetables and protein, no dough products or white products.

Comment from: sbyrs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had 18 inches of my sigmoid colon removed a year ago due to diverticulitis. I was feeling great. I have been diagnosed with a moderate size hiatal hernia. I had been getting short of breath but then it would go away. Now for the past several weeks it doesn't go away. I have shortness of breath all the time and pain in my back and shoulders, and a tight feeling in my chest. I wonder if all these symptoms are of hiatal hernia.

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 29

I have type 2 diabetes and my hemoglobin A1c is 5.8 H.

Comment from: cynical1941, 75 or over (Patient) Published: February 16

Back again! I had A1C tested again December 8. During the visit the nurse asked me again why I wasn't taking the medications. She had no idea as to my last A1C result but had a real handle on concentrating on her laptop. She tried to push me onto a statin and back on lisinopril (to protect my kidneys), didn't care about my previous problems with the drug. I handed her my blood pressure and glucose (4 times a day) log from the last 30 days and she barely looked at them. A1C came back at 5.9.

Comment from: raj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

At time of detection of type II diabetes, it was 10.8%. Recently HbA1C is 5.7%. It means that again pre-diabetic condition has occurred.

Comment from: JenJen89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have been insulin resistant for approximately 5 years. I can't tolerate Metformin. I am 24 years old with several other health problems. I had extreme nausea and right side pain, elevated liver enzymes and enlarged liver for approximately 1 or 2 years. I have Just got results back today from the doctor saying that my A1C is 179. Pancreas is making way too much insulin and I've got to get on Metformin immediately, no carbohydrates, strict diet or pancreas and liver will shut down. I wonder if it is even possible for my A1C to be that high! My sugar levels are never high!