Patient Comments: Hemoglobin A1c Test - Results

Question:What were the results of your hemoglobin A1c test?

Comment from: golan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I received my blood test and the results are as follows: HbA1C 6.2 Glucose 92.

Comment from: Battleaxe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

My HbA1C Went from 7.6 to 6.8.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My HbA1c result is 6.6% and mean plasma glucose level is 157.66.

Comment from: Fat Dad, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

There seems to be some inconsistency in the use of Metform, HgB A1c, and daily BG. I was put on Metformin last fall as my HgB A1c was 8.2 and I weighed 215 pounds. By April I was down to 175 and HgB A1c of 6.2 Not on medication anymore. So why and I reading about people here who are being put on Metformin with 5.9 HgB A1c and normal daily BG? One of my diabetic friends has an odd situation: HgB A1c is 5.9 and daily BG is an average 135 - 140. How is it possible to have a low HgB A1c with a somewhat high daily BG? I am both a patient and a caregiver.

Comment from: grandmarst, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

My hemoglobin A1c was tested as well as my mean blood glucose, which was 6.1 mmol/L. My estimated average glucose is 128 mg/dL.

Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

My HGBA1C test was 6.2 and my average blood sugars was 126 mg/dl. My doctor placed me on metformin and diagnosed me with diabetes mellitus type 2. So far, I am tolerating the medication.

Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I'm 68 and weigh 180 at 5'2". When I test my sugar it's low, but my A1c is 7.2. My doctor is sending me for a glucose tolerance test. My sugar tests at 97, 102, and 106. My Alc was 6.2 a year ago. I'm afraid of taking medicine I don't need.

Comment from: Ginaf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 58 year old woman, 5'8" tall and weigh 140 lbs. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 6 months ago. I take 500 mg of Metformin, twice a day. My A1c was 5 when I went to the endocrinologist this morning, down from 5.7 six weeks ago.

Comment from: Doss, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 22

my hemoglobin a1c is 5.8 and my avg. glucose is 120 i have diabetis for 3years

Comment from: Joann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I became hyperthyroid at the same time my hemoglobin A1c was checked. It was 6.5. When my endocrinologist told me that my body has almost used all of the insulin stores it has, I was alarmed. I took myself off all simple sugars (syrup, donuts, candy, cookies, ice cream, etc). Then a week later I took myself off all simple carbs (white pasta, white rice, white potatoes, white bread). I eat four servings of carbs a day. These servings I try to make whole grain; brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potato, whole grain breads, corn tortillas. My doctor plans to check my hg A1c in two months, can't wait!

Comment from: rhead, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a 49-year-old white female with an A1C score of 5.6 and a mean plasma glucose of 122. I weigh 165 and have been on a high-protein, low-carb diet since March 2011. I go up and down 10 pounds at various weeks. I do not exercise as I have had various illnesses that have kept me from doing so. My grandmothers both had diabetes, one severely and was overweight. The doctor told me to decrease carbs and sugars.

Comment from: ralphk, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 13

17 is the result of my hemoglobin A1c test. My glucose test result was 90.