Patient Comments: Hemoglobin A1c Test - Results

Question:What were the results of your hemoglobin A1c test?

Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I'm 68 and weigh 180 at 5'2". When I test my sugar it's low, but my A1c is 7.2. My doctor is sending me for a glucose tolerance test. My sugar tests at 97, 102, and 106. My Alc was 6.2 a year ago. I'm afraid of taking medicine I don't need.

Comment from: Ginaf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 58 year old woman, 5'8" tall and weigh 140 lbs. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 6 months ago. I take 500 mg of Metformin, twice a day. My A1c was 5 when I went to the endocrinologist this morning, down from 5.7 six weeks ago.

Comment from: Doss, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 22

my hemoglobin a1c is 5.8 and my avg. glucose is 120 i have diabetis for 3years

Comment from: Joann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I became hyperthyroid at the same time my hemoglobin A1c was checked. It was 6.5. When my endocrinologist told me that my body has almost used all of the insulin stores it has, I was alarmed. I took myself off all simple sugars (syrup, donuts, candy, cookies, ice cream, etc). Then a week later I took myself off all simple carbs (white pasta, white rice, white potatoes, white bread). I eat four servings of carbs a day. These servings I try to make whole grain; brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potato, whole grain breads, corn tortillas. My doctor plans to check my hg A1c in two months, can't wait!

Comment from: rhead, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a 49-year-old white female with an A1C score of 5.6 and a mean plasma glucose of 122. I weigh 165 and have been on a high-protein, low-carb diet since March 2011. I go up and down 10 pounds at various weeks. I do not exercise as I have had various illnesses that have kept me from doing so. My grandmothers both had diabetes, one severely and was overweight. The doctor told me to decrease carbs and sugars.

Comment from: ralphk, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 13

17 is the result of my hemoglobin A1c test. My glucose test result was 90.

Comment from: 2xanan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

My A1c results were 5.8 and a mean of 114. My doctor said a level of 5.8 does not REQUIRE treatment yet but because it is at the top of the range diet and excercise changes are required. The mean of 114 was a little too high for him. He would like to see it 100 or a little lower.

Comment from: Houndhuntr, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I am a 65 year old caucasian male, 5"10" and 270 pounds. Plenty overweight I know. My Hb A1C just came back at 5.7. According to ADA less than 7% is within normal limits. I am concerned but not going to over react to this. Will try and lose some weight.

Comment from: jmhawthorn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

The result of my test was 5.7 and my doctor said it should be 5.6 or lower.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: June 14

My hemoglobin A1c results were 6.1.

Comment from: Vic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I just received my hemoglobin A1c test result today: a 6.1 level. It was listed as abnormal. I have a follow-up appointment next week. I am a 55-year-old female and am about 40 pounds overweight. I am 5 feet 3 inches tall.

Comment from: worriedgranny, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 06

My grandson who is 7 years old recently had an A1C level of 6.1. This was up from 6 months ago when it was 5.7. He is very thin and very active. There is no family history of diabetes. However, I am very worried. He is scheduled for another test.