Patient Comments: Hemoglobin A1c Test - Results

Question:What were the results of your hemoglobin A1c test?

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 (Patient) Published: July 18

My doctor did a cortisol test and a hemoglobin A1C, and it came back 6.1, but it was not fasting that affects the level. I had eggs and sausage and a small piece of breakfast bread 2 hours before. I told the lab people they said it didn't matter.

Comment from: ellah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My hemoglobin A1c result is 6.1%.

Comment from: Ashlee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 07

I am 53 years old. My A1c is 5.9 and fasting glucose serum is 89. My father was diabetic and my mother is borderline like me.

Comment from: sujoh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

The result was 5.7 after 3 months of low-carb diet and losing 20 lbs. Initial FBS (fasting blood sugar) was 118.

Comment from: golan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I received my blood test and the results are as follows: HbA1C 6.2 Glucose 92.

Comment from: Battleaxe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

My HbA1C Went from 7.6 to 6.8.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My HbA1c result is 6.6% and mean plasma glucose level is 157.66.

Comment from: Fat Dad, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

There seems to be some inconsistency in the use of Metform, HgB A1c, and daily BG. I was put on Metformin last fall as my HgB A1c was 8.2 and I weighed 215 pounds. By April I was down to 175 and HgB A1c of 6.2 Not on medication anymore. So why and I reading about people here who are being put on Metformin with 5.9 HgB A1c and normal daily BG? One of my diabetic friends has an odd situation: HgB A1c is 5.9 and daily BG is an average 135 - 140. How is it possible to have a low HgB A1c with a somewhat high daily BG? I am both a patient and a caregiver.

Comment from: grandmarst, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

My hemoglobin A1c was tested as well as my mean blood glucose, which was 6.1 mmol/L. My estimated average glucose is 128 mg/dL.

Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

My HGBA1C test was 6.2 and my average blood sugars was 126 mg/dl. My doctor placed me on metformin and diagnosed me with diabetes mellitus type 2. So far, I am tolerating the medication.

Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I'm 68 and weigh 180 at 5'2". When I test my sugar it's low, but my A1c is 7.2. My doctor is sending me for a glucose tolerance test. My sugar tests at 97, 102, and 106. My Alc was 6.2 a year ago. I'm afraid of taking medicine I don't need.

Comment from: Ginaf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 58 year old woman, 5'8" tall and weigh 140 lbs. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 6 months ago. I take 500 mg of Metformin, twice a day. My A1c was 5 when I went to the endocrinologist this morning, down from 5.7 six weeks ago.

Comment from: Doss, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 22