Hemoglobin is the oxygen-carrying protein molecule in the blood, specifically in the red blood cells. High hemoglobin count may be caused by dehydration, smoking, emphysema, tumors, or abuse of Epogen. Low levels of hemoglobin may be caused by anemia, blood loss, nutritional deficiency, bone marrow problems, chemotherapy, kidney failure, or sickle cell disease.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...learn more »
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...learn more »
In This Article
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count) Article
- Polycythemia facts
- What is polycythemia?
- What are normal ranges of hematocrit, red cell counts, and hemoglobin?
- What causes polycythemia?
- What are the causes of primary polycythemia?
- What are the common causes of secondary polycythemia?
- Can other sources of erythropoietin (EPO) cause polycythemia?
- What is relative polycythemia?
- What are the risk factors for polycythemia?
- What is stress polycythemia?
- What are the symptoms of polycythemia?
- When should I see a doctor about polycythemia?
- How is polycythemia diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for polycythemia?
- What are the complications of polycythemia?
- Can polycythemia be prevented?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for polycythemia?
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...learn more »
In This Article
Colon Cancer Article
- Colon cancer facts
- What is cancer?
- What is cancer of the colon and rectum?
- What are the causes and risk factors of colon cancer?
- What are the signs and symptoms of colon cancer?
- What tests can be done to detect and diagnose colon cancer?
- What are the stages of colon cancer?
- What are the treatments and survival rates for colon cancer?
- What is the follow-up care for colon cancer?
- What is the prognosis for patients with colorectal cancer?
- Is it possible to prevent colon cancer?
Gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining. Causes of gastritis include drinking too much alcohol, medications such as...learn more »