Patient Comments: Hemoglobin - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Question:Please describe how Hemoglobin has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

My hemoglobin levels have always been very low with very high bilirubin levels. I was diagnosed with Gilbert's disease, which causes high bilirubin levels. My skin turns yellow when I am sick with a virus, and the whites of my eyes have always been yellow. After two miscarriages, my OBGYN sent me to a hemotologist just to see if there was anything going on. After going through several blood tests and a painful bone marrow aspiration, it was determined that I in fact have hereditary spherocytosis. It all began to click with all of my symptoms ... yellow skin and eyes, gallbladder removal at early age, enlarged spleen, anemia, hemoglobins always hang around 8 or 9 (especially during pregnancies -- hemoglobin at one point was a 5 but mostly stayed around 7 or 8). I then began to look at my dad who exhibits all of those same traits! Now my daughter has it (17 months old), and is treated by a pediatric hemotologist. Just thought this info might help someone seeking answers to their own symptoms!

Comment from: JCB7057, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I just turned 50, and I was very tired and had no energy. I went into the doctor and they did the blood test and found that my hemoglobin was 7.0. After many tests, they found that my spleen was enlarged and spots near my colon. After a bone marrow test, they found I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma -- cancer. I have since been through my chemo treatments and have been cancer-free. My hemoglobin is on the rise.

Comment from: Rhonda, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 08

My husband had Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, but was declared in remission Dec. 2011. Since then he has remained in Neutropenia and has been hospitalized 3 times for low blood counts. The last being 17 days with 10 of that being in ICU with double pneumonia, and kidney failure. I can't even begin to count the number of blood transfusion he has received from hemoglobin, to platelets, etc. He was home for 9 days and back in the hospital with chest pain. No heart problems, but low hemoglobin that could have caused the chest pain. He also continues to have an enlarged spleen. This is a problem because it appears the spleen is not working properly and therefore continues to destroy the red cells and platelets. It could still have the lymphoma in the spleen, but he has been too ill to remove the spleen or even do any invasive testing to see. Probably will have another bone marrow biopsy to see where that is at. Last one he had in Dec. was good. It's a very hard road to travel and one that he will probably fight for the rest of his life.

Comment from: ashysmom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 25

I am the mother of a wonderful 5 year old girl. From the time she was only three days old we found out that she had hereditary spherocytosis. She had one blood transfusion when she was about a month old. Then, out of nowhere, this July we took her to the hospital because she was very tired and yellow. Her hemoglobin was at 4. The doctor said that she could have heart failure. The doctors have always told us that she is okay if she stays above 11. Well she is very yellow and tired again, so I took her to the doctor again today, which by the way, if you live in a small town like ours make sure your children only get sick Monday through Friday because the doctors, nurses and hospital staff get really inconvenienced when you show up on a Saturday, anyways, her levels are at 10.4, and they sent us home. They told us to "keep an eye on her." Luckily my sister in law is a nurse. She is a great help. Please! Just watch your children for these rare signs. This is a tricky little blood disorder!

Comment from: PrYnceZzMommA, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am a 24 year old female, and I just delivered twins via c-section. At my 1 week postpartum appointment to have my staples taken out, they checked my hemoglobin because the nurse said that it had been low during my pregnancy. When they check it, it was a 7. The nurse said I looked very fatigued, said my skin was pretty pale. I was curious as to why I keep falling asleep all the time. It is so difficult to stay awake. I've always had a lower number, around a 10, but now it's lower. I am starting on iron pills to see if that will help, along with iron-rich foods. Hopefully, that helps. I need my energy back to take care of my 4 kids, all 4 and under.

Comment from: Mark, 45-54 Male Published: March 20

Dad passed out a couple weeks ago and was taken to the hospital. Since he has an existing heart condition, the doctors initially thought it was his heart. They tested his blood and informed us his hemoglobin count was down. They scoped his stomach and noticed erosion. He's on blood thinners daily and they gave him heparin when they thought it was his heart, so the erosion was considered a likely cause for blood loss. Why didn't they say his blood volume was low if he was bleeding and his hemoglobin count was down? I keep thinking it's because his white blood cell count is high due to infection or cancer.